Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is the market like for slabbed American Silver Eagles

PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t normally handle slabbed ASE , but have some!
Some Proof some Unc and a few burnished!

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

Comments

• Options
    1Bufffan1Bufffan Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

Unless you are one of the Authorized Bullion Dealers where you can charge a premium it seems that no matter where you go People (dealers) only want to pay you Spot or a "little" less, because the margin is so small they do not what to handle the weight or with the changing prices they don't want to get Stuck holding high volumes of silver.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1Bufffan said:
    Unless you are one of the Authorized Bullion Dealers where you can charge a premium it seems that no matter where you go People (dealers) only want to pay you Spot or a "little" less, because the margin is so small they do not what to handle the weight or with the changing prices they don't want to get Stuck holding high volumes of silver.

That should NOT be true of proofs of any year. It will be true of UNCs, depending on grade. 70s still carry a premium and even 69s for certain years.

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m thinking about just sending them to Great Collections!

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PTVETTER said:
    I don’t normally handle slabbed ASE , but have some!
    Some Proof some Unc and a few burnished!

For proofs, use the grey sheet. It ain't perfect but it'll get you close. For uncs, depends on the grade, a lot of them are just "bullion" in 69 or under.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 27, 2019 4:55PM

It’s booming! I had 2 2019 PCGS69 ASE I bought off the bay for $28 each (a week before the show) and fliped both for $33 each at the recent Houston Summer Show. The profit paid for my whataburger order on way home that evening.

These are a super deal in their MS69 holders plus have more silver than Morgan dollar. I believe CW Trends $45.

Star Wars Coins from Niue good sellers too.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cougar1978 said:

It’s booming! I had 2 2019 PCGS69 ASE I bought off the bay for $28 each (a week before the show) and fliped both for $33 each at the recent Houston Summer Show. The profit paid for my whataburger order on way home that evening.

These are a super deal in their MS69 holders plus have more silver than Morgan dollar. I believe CW Trends $45.

Star Wars Coins from Niue good sellers too.

If you got a free whataburger that is a good deal! We don’t have those up here in Alaska.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The market is still good for a '95W.... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gunna throw this out there. ASE’s have the reputation of the most collected if you have a reasonable amount of slabbed “add it to my collection “ coins maybe shop them eBay type/advertising format worldwide and if there’s a lot of bulk shipping and such may be prohibitive. Perhaps a combination of both. Good luck to you. 🙀jzyskowski

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

I cant think of a good reason to slab an ASE, beyond the 1995-W of course.
    The cost of slabbing is very near the price of the coin, and often times it exceeds it.
    I guess I can sort of understand collectors wanting to slab their pieces at any cost, but when does the practice become illogical?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 29, 2019 9:52AM

I would not pay slab them. But if the cost (off the bay) of a slabbed 69 ASE, Mex onza, , Niue Star Wars $28 (Pcgs 69) and raw $22 (recently) have both - the slabbed ones cost just $6 more, nice stack in case at show sell pretty nice. Can easily flip for $5 over cost at shows. They good bullion investment too.

Many coming in bourse room probably have no more than $40 - $50 in their pocket. Houston not Carmel by the Sea with its millionaires and pretty blonde Cali girls. Furthermore the market for numismatic coins has been in a steady slow slide for sometime (Pcgs 3000).

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not as if there is a two way market for them. It's a flipping game.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,383 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a game of niches.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file