Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My new 1834 N-5 Large Cent (Large 8 and Stars, Medium Letters) ....GTG?

jedmjedm Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 27, 2019 8:15PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I welcome your comments. Another hole filled in my Red Book variety set.

Comments

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

VF25

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool coin! A wonderful variety...very tough to find.

VF for sure. Looks at least 25 to me. 30 wouldn't surprise me.

I have a VF20 in my Dansco. Bought from Doug Bird eight years ago. It's a favorite.
    Lance.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

VF30 is my guess.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

I edited the title in response to Roger's thread about what might encourage collectors to explore die varieties, hoping that just seeing the additional information in a thread title may spark an interest. No one has guessed what the graders ATS gave this specimen.

• Options

@jedm said:
    I edited the title in response to Roger's thread about what might encourage collectors to explore die varieties, hoping that just seeing the additional information in a thread title may spark an interest. No one has guessed what the graders ATS gave this specimen.

I like that. Large 8, large stars, medium letters. N-5. An R5+.

If no one has guessed correctly then it would seem NGC said VF20 or 30. I don't see it as XF. But NGC can be a little more liberal.

I would crack it, and treat it with Verdigone (which won't remove the toughest, oldest crud but will stabilize what's there), then send it to our host.
    Lance.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice copper...and I like the large 8....stands out when one knows what to look for...I wondered why they did not call it the 'small 3' though.... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options

@lkeigwin Thanks for the advice on what to do next. I like the idea of getting it into our host's plastic. The seller mentioned that it was recently graded and I like a slab that's not all scratched up, so that added to my interest. I do like the originality; however, I welcome your suggestion on how the surfaces may be improved. I have never used Verdigone- will you go into more details about the benefit of that over acetone please? By the way the pros ATS graded it as VF-35 but I would think if our hosts see it as 25 or 30 it'd be more in line with what the consensus is here on the thread.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Nice copper...and I like the large 8....stands out when one knows what to look for...I wondered why they did not call it the 'small 3' though.... ;) Cheers, RickO

Because it’s the digit ‘8’ that varies in size that year.
    Here are a couple more from the same year that show the small 8:

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options

@jedm said:
    @lkeigwin Thanks for the advice on what to do next. I like the idea of getting it into our host's plastic. The seller mentioned that it was recently graded and I like a slab that's not all scratched up, so that added to my interest. I do like the originality; however, I welcome your suggestion on how the surfaces may be improved. I have never used Verdigone- will you go into more details about the benefit of that over acetone please? By the way the pros ATS graded it as VF-35 but I would think if our hosts see it as 25 or 30 it'd be more in line with what the consensus is here on the thread.

I forgot that the product's name changed to VerdiCare.
    Here's a thread about it:

It appears to be difficult to find. :/
    Lance.

• Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

Walkerguy, love the double profile!

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice old copper! I see the OP coin as VF25...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭

Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file