Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Suppose you won a contest where the prize was a one million dollar collectible of your choice.

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 27, 2019 10:17AM in U.S. Coin Forum

All taxes covered and it had to be a single item.

What would you choose?

I am going with a classic Ferrari!!

Comments

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 27, 2019 10:21AM

Probably a work of art; sculpture or painting or car.

Having only one million dollar coin would very stressful until i could find another to add to the collection.

• Options
    matt_dacmatt_dac Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 27, 2019 11:33AM

Hmmm...probably an original Norman Rockwell painting, if one could be had for "only" a million.

Maybe a million in gold bullion, but I'm not sure that is allowed as part of this contest :)

• Options
    kbbpllkbbpll Posts: 542 ✭✭✭✭

Whatever collectible that I could immediately sell for a million.

• Options
    element159element159 Posts: 494 ✭✭✭

Grand Watermelon $1000 note, probably.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

A S10,000 grand watermelon note - CU.

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXKE0nAMmg4
    Only 1.4m at this auction.

• Options

@carabonnair said:

@matt_dac said:
    Hmmm...probably an original Norman Rockwell painting, if one could be had for "only" a million.

You mean this one?
    https://www.christies.com/lotfinder/Lot/norman-rockwell-1894-1978-the-collector-5793592-details.aspx

For example, yes :)

• Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

Something that sounds like Ferrari.

OK, it IS a Ferrari or maybe a Duesenberg. .

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

Something liquid..... very, very liquid.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

Something that I could quickly and easily unload for cash. I wouldn't want to own any collectible with a value that high.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whatever it was to be, would have to sell it to pay the taxes on it. Remember those?

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

@BryceM said:

You mean like 4 bottles of Chateau Margaux 1787 if available? 😀

• Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    Whatever it was to be, would have to sell it to pay the taxes on it. Remember those?

Read the very first line...

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 27, 2019 4:32PM

@matt_dac said:

@BryceM said:

You mean like 4 bottles of Chateau Margaux 1787 if available? 😀

Nope. Even MORE liquid (and less fragile). :)

A 22kg gold bar would do.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wasn't there a foreign bullion coin with $1 million in gold content? I'd take one.

• Options
    philographerphilographer Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 27, 2019 4:43PM

A Frank Lloyd Wright house.

Or an amazing Tiffany lamp

He who knows he has enough is rich.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

Something I could sell quickly.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    Mdcoincollector2003Mdcoincollector2003 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭✭✭

A collectible suitcase filled with 1,000,000 dollars that I can spend some on coins and save most of it.

• Options
    edited June 27, 2019 5:14PM

@FSF said:
    There are so many questions I have about the rules here. But I will answer assuming that we can't ever sell it and we're only talking one item. Off the top of my head, it would probably be either

OK...here are the rules.

1. Up to half a million bucks are provided by the prize giver which will cover taxes and taxes on the taxes.
    2. If you are married, your spouse must agree on the prize that you select. If there is no agreement you get a minor clip cent from Errorsoncoins website, as a consolation prize.
    3. Registered shipping or pickup only. If you want Fedex overnight, make sure that Renman can work it around his travel schedule.
    4. Hold period is one year. After the 12 months you can sell the prize. If you choose Ebay, after fees, expect proceeds of about two hundred bucks.
    5. All Apollo 11 flown items must be quarantined for 30 days. The space cooties have a half life of 50 years.
    6. No automobile prizes may be driven or parked within 5 miles of a senior citizen community. Eunice may think that the Ferrari is the one her late husband Ralph ran off with his hot blonde girlfriend in and ram it with the Buick.
    7. All pre Civil War era revolvers must be registered and licensed by Corey Booker before they can be shipped.
    8. Rare Pez dispensers are excluded as prize options as the peppermint candies can be confused with cannabis gummy bears.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,547 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 27, 2019 5:21PM

If I could have a mortgage for the rest.....there is 1,600 acres in central Nevada I'd love to own and work.

bob :)

Nah, I'm just dreaming. How many hours a day can a city boy ride a horse, mend fences and brand and rope cattle?
    To be young again is every old man's dream. You youngsters get that dream while you can, make it happen and don't look back. There is no time for bucket lists....don't wait.

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

What would you choose?

288 GTO ... my mostest favoritest Prancing Horse ... but alas ... one for $1M would be likely be kinda doggy.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think this type of fantasy works better if the rule is that you hold the item for 1 year, then return it.
    So you are not trying to gain $$ on the thing, just enjoy it.
    With regular rules, I'd want to just sell quickly, as it seems the value of many things is going down.

• Options

@yosclimber said:
    I think this type of fantasy works better if the rule is that you hold the item for 1 year, then return it.
    So you are not trying to gain $$ on the thing, just enjoy it.
    With regular rules, I'd want to just sell quickly, as it seems the value of many things is going down.

How bout we put it in the Smithsonian and you get a free pass for a year?

;)

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd buy a cool painting by an American artist and enjoy it every day. Maybe one of the nicer Andrew Wyeths??

I think in the world of classic Ferraris, $1 mil would buy you a bumper.......

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,917 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 27, 2019 5:56PM

@astrorat said:

@Coinstartled said:

What would you choose?

288 GTO ... my mostest favoritest Prancing Horse ... but alas ... one for $1M would be likely be kinda doggy.

Well, restoring a $1M 288 GTO could be a great thread on FerrariChat.com, kind of like the 160 page F40 LM restoration thread here:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/f40-lm-restoration.396915/

It starts off with:

As some of you may have read the thread about chassis 84326, a non original F40 that raced in the BPR in 96 and which had been rotting in a garage for 8 years and I bought a few months ago. Described by Mike Sheehan as LM/GTE it is one of 27 non original cars converted by privateers.

If it was of interest I was going to post a thread of the work we are doing once I have sufficient images etc and wanted to know if this was the right area of the site to post? I looked at restorations section but that appeared all to be Redline stuff?

Thanks in advance and let me know if it is of interest to follow the restoration or if it is not worth the hassle.

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SkyMan said:
    The million dollar number for space artifacts is actually a tough number to get. High end space artifacts tend to either go for $1,500,000 - $2,500,000 or in the $500,000 - $800,000 range.

Given that I couldn't get the million dollar plus items, I'd get this, even though it is actually significantly under $1,000,000 (it went for, commission included, $468,000). It's Neil Armstrong's Lunar Module spacecraft ID plate... basically consider it a cross between a VIN number and a license plate... for the LM Eagle. Needless to say, it flew on the Eagle.

https://historical.ha.com/itm/explorers/apollo-11-lunar-module-flown-spacecraft-identification-plate-display-directly-from-the-armstrong-family-collection-certifie/a/6205-52279.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

A great choice. A reasonable bet that this will be a priceless object one day, seems so to me now. Just a bit more $$ than the two top pop common-date mercs mentioned in other threads. Truly amazing, but who am I to judge? .

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Aztek used in "Breaking Bad." :D

• Options
    kbbpllkbbpll Posts: 542 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like I'm getting the minor clip cent.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

People collect houses, right?...

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

if possible a 1955 mercede's gull wing. if not that then early gold coin of some type

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 28, 2019 2:11PM

GE 134 Minigun
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nG3Hi7K9MU4
    And before you ask...Yea....I have permission to own one. :D

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would have to sell it to pay the taxes.

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hemispherical said:
    Would have to sell it to pay the taxes.

The OP said the taxes are paid, so we can afford to keep the “gift”.

I’m into art, so my initial first choice from reading the above is that great Rockwell painting of “The Collector”. However, I just read an article about authenticated large dinosaurs selling around that price, so the kid in me would choose that!

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    santinidollarsantinidollar Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is the Mona Lisa on sale?

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

@santinidollar said:
    Is the Mona Lisa on sale?

No but if it were a million dollars wouldn't be enough for a down payment. :D

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    QCCoinGuyQCCoinGuy Posts: 326 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have noticed the overwhelming majority of posts would buy something other than a coin. I would definitely buy a coin and would have a lot of fun choosing which one.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

The best 1907 Ultra High Relief Saint that I could find for a million dollars.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

1804 Silver Dollar in as high a PCGS grade as possible.

If a million dollars is not enough for this coin in any grade, then i would try to use the million as a down payment. ;)

• Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 29, 2019 10:37AM

Duesenberg! I had the privilege to see a Duesy in a private collection through a car club. The owner was a CEO, had a "barn" that was filled with classic Packards, Pierce Arrows, and his Duesenberg.

Image from Wikipedia

Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 29, 2019 10:02AM

Would sell it in a heartbeat find nice condo Carmel by the sea, hot car, pretty girl for icing on the cake.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suppose I'd try to find a pleasant 1797 half dollar or 10$ Eagle.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would be this. With the left over 650K I'd buy 50 acres of heavily wooded land here in Ohio and build a nice custom home that I designed on it.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seems Old Norman got it right...

Clearly one first needs to first invest in the appropriate attire which would include a stylish smoking jacket sporting an ascot and if you're over 60, a Brooks Brothers white shirt heavy with the starch and if you're under 60, perhaps a more casual flair may work but that could depend largely on the cocktail of choice which should obviously be consumed only from the finest cocktail shaker and drinking vessels... Vintage Hawkes should leave the desired impression. The impression that one has the ability to recognize and seek out the finest things in keeping up appearances.

So once I get there, I'll provide an answer.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

This thread reminds me of the old television program "The Millionaire" where reclusive John Beresford Tipton gave $1,000,000 checks to random recipients.

The phrase "all of the taxes have been paid" was used in the introduction to each episode.

I am not allowed to tell if I received such a check.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

What would you choose?

Any of these if they were for sale and not more than one million;

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file