Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Albany.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please show some images of your Albany commems. Thanks in advance.

Al H.

Comments

• Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is the Albany from my first commemorative half set. I no longer own it, although I wish I did. MS66:

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

One I sold a few months ago...

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 27, 2019 1:53PM

Have looked for a nice white example that hasn't been dipped to death. Harder to find that I initially thought.

• Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have looked for a colorful eye appealing example - also has been hard to find. A lot end up splotchy brown.

My current "Box of 20"

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't own one so here is an interesting write-up regarding this facsinating coin along with a picture of a book that has one shown (the coin that is toward the bottom of the page):

THE ALBANY CHARTER HALF-DOLLAR
    In commemoration of the two hundred and fiftieth anniversary of the granting of a charter to the City of Albany, New York, a souvenir half-dollar was authorized by Congress. In 1686, Governor Thomas Dongan of New York, granted to Albany a city charter, one of the earliest granted in New York State. The first Mayor of Albany was appointed by the Governor, and this issue portrays the first Mayor, Peter Schuyler and his companion Robert Livingston, secretary, after having received the signed charter from the Governor. Historically, this issue is among the most interesting of those coined in 1936.

The Act for this issue follows: [Public—No. 687—74th Congress] An Act To authorize the coinage of 50-cent pieces in commemoration of the two hundred and fiftieth anniversary of the founding of the city of Albany, New York. Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled, That in commemoration of the two hundred and fiftieth anniversary of the founding of the city of Albany, New York, there shall be coined at a mint of the United States to be designated by the Director of the Mint not to exceed twenty-five thousand silver 50-cent pieces of standard size, weight, and composition and of a special appropriate single design to be fixed by the Director of the Mint, with the approval of the Secretary of the Treasury, but the United States shall not be subject to the expense of making the necessary dies and other preparations for this coinage. Sec. 2. (Same as Cleveland issue, Section 2, but upon request of a committee of not less than three persons duly authorized by the mayor of the city of Albany, New York, page 140.) Sec. 3. (Same as Maryland issue, Section 4, page 99). Approved, June 16, 1936.

In this Act, as in the Elgin Centennial issue, the coinage authorization and the withdrawal requirement are so worded that but a single issue is possible.

Twenty-five thousand coins were authorized, and in October 1936, the Philadelphia Mint struck 25,013 pieces.

These coins were designed by Gertrude K. Lathrop, of Albany, New York, and the models were reduced by the Medallic Art Company of New York. They were released by the Albany Dongan Charter Coin Committee at two dollars apiece.

1. Obv. Beaver to right, gnawing on a maple branch. Around upper circumference in large letters: united • states • of • America Paralleled within, in smaller letters, at left: e Pluribus Unum at right: in god we trust Around lower circumference: (maple key) a half • dollar (maple key).

Rev. A group of three men standing, in Colonial costume. Governor Dongan of New York, taking leave of Peter Schuyler and Robert Livingston. Schuyler is shown holding the newly signed Charter. Above group, an eagle with outstretched wings, and in minute letters curved above, the word: liberty Behind Governor Dongan, a tiny pine. On the platform, date: 1936 Around upper circumference: settled • 1614 • chartered • 1686 At base: (two pine cones) Albany • n • y • (two pine cones). Near pine, beside Dongan’s foot, designer’s initials incused in minute letters: gkl

Edge. Reeded. 30 mm. Silver.

Lettering. Roman.

Every symbol and device on this issue has significance as connected with the early Colonial history of New York. The inscriptions have been reduced to a size that makes them almost unreadable. The word "Liberty" on this coin, above the eagle, is microscopic.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

A lot of history in this area of NYS...Thanks for the review of the Albany commemorative... Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file