Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Pure Silver Washie Quarters of 2019: Will They Tone Differently?

giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was fortunate enough back in February to buy a gentleman's lifetime collection. Besides complete slabbed matte cent proofs and Lincoln proofs 1909 VDB-2018 inclusive and lots of other marvelous slabbed coins, he had wonderful complete raw albums of Mercury and Roosevelt dimes, Walkers, Buffnicks, Indian cents, all the Sacagawea, Ike, Presidential, etc. dollars, and absolutely every quarter from 1932 forward, the early ones AU-BU, but all the later ones strictly pulled from proof and mint sets, all the Statehood, National Parks, etc. quarters, in beautiful Dansco albums.

Compared to what I paid for the slabs, the raw coins were a pittance. I decided to, at least for now, just keep them to satisfy the collector in me, and sell the certified stuff. So I dutifully bought my 2019 mint set, proof set, and silver proof set, and cut them all up and popped them into the respective holes. It occurs to me that the 2019 silver proof set with the quarters, being the first pure 99.9% quarters, will probably tone differently. What are your opinions on this, and what do you foresee (if anything)? Just curious ...

I have an old Dansco album, very similar, the one with the clear plastic slides, where I started the Statehood quarters back in 1999 (my how tempus doth fugit). Since some of the slides are not perfectly in place, they allow a bit more air in on one side or the other, and some of those coins, especially the silver ones, are starting to get some pretty rim toning. Will these .999 quarters do the same?

Wishing you happy collecting.

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.

Comments

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 27, 2019 12:13PM

Sounds like time to study all those ASE’s in the original mint cases and see what we have to see🙀jzyskowski Also allows me to justify why I had to have them in the first place! Gots loose ones all over. Oh boy. Thanks

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

Suppose the same as an ASE compared to a Morgan. May tone faster.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It all depends on the environment where you store them. Given two quarters, on 90% and the other 100%, stored under the same conditions... the Pure silver 'may' tarnish slightly differently... In either case, I am not sure the difference will be of any great consequence. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

Depends how much taco grease you rub on them. If stored properly they should never get the nasty. Congrats!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember a few years back, I but together a full set of Jeff nickels from mint sets. Surprisingly, only a few toned up. I think the run was from 99-2003. I have no idea if anything was special about the year or the location in the album. Each other nickel nearby stayed just as white. All that said, I can imagine that they might tone differently, so take good pics now and update us in a year or more!

• Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

In theory, yes they should tone differently because they are of a different composition. After that there are the other one million variables.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can actually encourage a little rim toning if you pull the slides slightly to one side so that a small slice of the coin is exposed. Be careful not to overdo it or you will destroy the glued-down part of the pages.

Kind regards, :wink:

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file