Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anyone place older neat coins in CoinStar returns?

abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do. Sometimes dateless Buffalo nickels or definitely wheatback cents. Sometimes silver dimes and neat foreign looking coins. I think it is a great way to start budding new and young collectors to discover this hobby. It's also fun to place the same type of coins in payphone coin returns and pinball machines.

I friend of mine give Kennedy clad half dollars he picks up at the bank as tips. Instead of say a worn out five dollar bill he gives a shiny au'ish clad Kennedy instead. I wish I could see the delight on that server's face when she picks it up and perhaps begins her quest with this fascinating hobby.

Comments

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Around here, you tip the server a Kennedy half on a $20 lunch, you better duck.

• Options
    ilmcoinsilmcoins Posts: 525 ✭✭✭✭

A 50 cent tip!! Must have been poor service!

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

They probably think you are giving them a worthless foreign coin. Pay with SBA's and they usually think they are quarters and want more money that's when I tell them they owe me

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

I might leave a presidential dollar or a sackie on top of several one dollar bills, but only with servers whom I know know what the coins are. You don't mess with tips, most of those servers really do need the money for their basic living expenses. The idea that they're going to turn into numismatists is something for when they are older and more prosperous.

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always get from my bank, and keep with me, $2 bills, $1 coins (golden, SBA, and Ike), and Kennedy halves, and give them out/spend them. I always let the recipients know those small coins are not quarters, but dollars. While my main goal is to hope to spur interest in our wonderful hobby, regardless if that happens or not, virtual every recipient feels joy when they get these.

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

What the heck is a payphone coin return and what was that other thing oh ya a pinball machine. What year are you living in and how do I get there🙀jzyskowski

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 26, 2019 9:49PM

Photos for those who had difficulty understanding this simple concept.

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven't put coins in there, but have put electrical box knockouts and washers there to see if anybody takes them. And they do.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I take coins out of a coinstar reject bin... not put them in.... :D;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

The last thing workers need to receive as tips are "collectible " coins. They need real, spendable money to pay bills.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SaorAlba said:
    I haven't put coins in there, but have put electrical box knockouts and washers there to see if anybody takes them. And they do.

Then the finders come here asking about what “errors” they have found. ;):D

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 27, 2019 6:17AM

Bless you Hemi you’re such a calming effect around here🙀jzyskowski plus you don’t mind teaching us new guys thanks

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pre-1982 cents in Coinstar. That's it. Nothing remotely numismatic.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    Around here, you tip the server a Kennedy half on a $20 lunch, you better duck.

fity cent is not a good thing to leave here either

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file