Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins
Options

For Sale 2018 D possible Error Coin

ventvent Posts: 23
edited July 1, 2019 12:48PM in Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins

For sale - 2018 D Union Shield Cent Possible Error Coin

Make Offer if you would like to have this coin in your collection.

Comments

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Isn't that pretty easily faked?

• Options

@abcde12345 said:
    Isn't that pretty easily faked?

No idea, found it a few days ago at the bank, almost tossed it in the chuck-it-bucket because its a shield.

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

Someone just put an x on the coin, sorry

• Options
    RelaxnRelaxn Posts: 875 ✭✭✭✭

PMD... Sorry

• Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 27, 2019 3:36PM

Not an error, purely post mint damage from someone playing around.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am guessing that is nothing like how they would cancel a modern die.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options

@PerryHall said:
    If that were struck by cancelled dies the cross would be raised rather than cut into the surface with a knife or chisel. This is a case of PMD or post mintage damage.

I thought that too were it a blank planchet struck with an X canceled die. But I don't think that's the case, I think the error penny was struck with a cancellation die to cancel the error penny.. I feel this to be true because the coin has major errors. There is the normal union shield on the penny, then there are two ghost shields top north-east of shield, plus it's a double die both sides, coin initials are a blob and halfway off jacket, all the lettering on both sides are raised with deep valley inside rim, many more errors I see under scope, and the cancellation X is perfectly lined up on both sides no sign of a vise job etc.

Here is this coin side by side with normal 2018 D Penny..

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

@vent said:
    ha ha.. I'm sure you wont be saying that when I post my 1943 D Copper Cent for sale :)

I can't wait! :D

• Options

;)

• Options

@ifthevamzarockin said:

@vent said:
    ha ha.. I'm sure you wont be saying that when I post my 1943 D Copper Cent for sale :)

I can't wait! :D

I bet. And when it goes up for auction, I'll make sure you're the first to know ;)

• Options

Thanks for letting me be the first to know! I'm sure I will also read about it on the cover of Coinworld maybe even national news channels.

I hope you are still enjoying the hobby a year or two from now and review some of your early threads.
    Keep hunting & keep smiling :)

• Options

The mint does not cancel dies like that any more. They totally obliterate the die so it is basically unrecognizable. Besides that x mark would be a raised x on the coin if it were actually a cancelled die. Those marks are pressed in to the cent by a tool of some sort. It is strictly post mint damage

• Options
    RelaxnRelaxn Posts: 875 ✭✭✭✭

I really would like to address this but part of me feels like you are being in heat;
    1). The Mint does not "cancel" dies in this manner any longer.
    2). Do you realize the labor that would be involved to pull a single coin out and put an X in it? It's not logical.
    3). The rim... In the process of rimming the coin where the rim is raises to protect the lettering and the strike it can move more metal than normal. Then when the coin is struck it makes a ridge (wrong term) where the lettering is. Open a roll of shield Lincoln's and you will find this over and over and over.
    4). If this was struck by a die with an X in it then the x would be raised not recessed. How do we know? Coins that have die polish lines! The die polish lines are raised and not recessed.
    5). Comparing this to a 43-d is disingenuous! The 43-d was struck via SOP just got the wrong blanks. Your coin defies SOP and would be very challenging to strike in the computerized striking process.

I am unsure if you were fooled and thus have a measure of embarrassment, had hoped you hit the lottery, or you are purposefully attempting to defraud someone... Either way-. You want a final saying? Contact Fred Weinberg or PCGS and end this charade.

• Options

Maybe @FredWeinberg or @ErrorsOnCoins will chime in.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    Maybe @FredWeinberg or @ErrorsOnCoins will chime in.

It doesn't take an expert to see that someone cut an X into a common cent in an effort to create some kind of a rare coin.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting!

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will offer one cent. You pay shipping

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a "Pie Chart" error. :)

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

KOOL !!!

• Options
    BIGWEBBBIGWEBB Posts: 214 ✭✭✭

Looks like someone was doing some math with that plus sign meaning : shield cent + buyer (add name) = SUCKER !

COOKIES!

• Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pieces of four... Or pieces of eight ???

• Options
    2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭

at least worth 1 million dollars. no less.

WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!
  • Options

Wow, you guys are all jerks. My daughter is here posting coins in my discussions and shes knew to collecting... cut her a break! Discussion closed to idiots, open to those who really would like to help her understand her coin.

• Options

Aside from a couple people that made a silly comment or two, everyone else here has stated that what you have is** not **an error and it is post mint damage (PMD), which means those marks occurred after being struck. It was also described by me and some others on why it was not an error. The other details that you described after your first post like the doubling is called machine doubling and even though it might be an error, it is so common that there is no added value to it. What ever other errors are on the coin that you claim to be there are indifferent at this point because some one damaged the coin with the cross marks. So I think calling everyone here jerks is a little far fetched.

• Options
    edited July 1, 2019 6:03PM

How are we to know 2 people are posting to the same discussion under one ID?
    What post are yours & what posts are hers?
    Did you ever think of making her an ID just for her?
    Do you supervise what your kids are posting on the web?

When I pass hot air in the car I blame the kids too. :D

You or your daughter posted a coin for sale that is not represented properly.
    You had kind responses informing you that it is not an error. You or your daughter wanted to explain your theory on the minting process that clearly you have done little research. Is it you or your daughter that has the 1943 copper cent? Then after you post coins like that you want to call everybody names.

"Discussion closed to idiots"
    Please look in the mirror. :D

• Options

I got a penny with one line straight across the face but very similar. Got same characteristics as yours. Ive done some reading and found one article that explained it to be pre strike damage

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neat find. Still think it's PMD/PMS. Keep it, a nice conversation piece. Real nice find. B)

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members