Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Identify cleaned Coins - Cleaned Coin Values - - - One Man's Opinion

1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Identify cleaned Coins - Cleaned Coin Values - - - One Man's Opinion
https://youtu.be/9m9XxVXoshE
https://youtu.be/pGO5cksgr0Q

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

Comments

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

For me a VERY ROUGH rule of thumb is one-half the value of a problem-free coin (i.e. AU55 worth $100, AU55 details worth $50). However, I have thrown coins on ebay and done even better than that (say 60 to 65%). For higher value coins, the Heritage auction archives usually has some good info too.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Aotearoa said:
    There are so many variables - how was the coin cleaned, how significant was the cleaning, when was it cleaned, what variety of coin - that I reckon it's nearly impossible to evaluate on anything other than a case-by-case basis. For example, a light historical cleaning of an early copper, which has since nicely re-toned, is not going to knock a whole lot off the value of the coin. A brillo cleaning of a mid-rarity Morgan, on the other hand, is going to bring the value down to melt.

This.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston ....Thanks for the videos....Another good resource is 'The Coin Preservation Handbook' by Charles Frank.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will add that my rough rule of thumb applies to the very common hairlines on coins that were cleaned mostly in the 60s and 70s when, unfortunately, many coin books recommended using baking soda on coins and Jeweluster to dip off "tarnish". But yeah, certainly there are differences based on the extent and aggressiveness of the cleaning.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file