Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is this the near-term future of "coin shows?"

RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is this coming to coin shows, dealers and related?

http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/20190624-the-big-problem-with-short-queues

Comments

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 25, 2019 9:18AM

Not sure about coin shows, but priority queues are nothing new for air travel to coin shows ;)

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

Having two scales of treatment based on whether someone has deep pockets or not is a recipe for unjust favoritism. Practically it is common. I would rather have everyone who comes by a table be given respect where the quality of conversations on numismatics and sharing of interest be the measure of a successful show, not how much inventory you move.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

Money always talks in the world of the collector (and every other business as well). This is nothing new. Making this "out in the open" will serve to alienate the collectors who now find themselves formally assigned to the second tier.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing new.

An obvious display is flying. Those who are not tiered, know it, as they wait and wait and wait and then scramble.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Considering that shows are one of the last bastions of traditional collecting, I hope not.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

No

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 25, 2019 4:23PM

Nothing like telling the regular customer that they are not good enough.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

The British are not quite as sane as we Americans give them credit for. I could give some very hard-hitting examples of their societal insanity, but I would get speedily banned from this forum.

Lines (queues)? Coin dealers have thought for years (and often enough said) they didn't need the collectors, they could just trade between themselves. No need for freakin' lines.

Well, they're already finding out how well that works!

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

My local barmaid will likely give me preferential treatment over nearly anyone.

I can't think of anything else that I'd need quickly. B)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well...many shows already have 'early bird' fees.....So, nothing new....Now, if we could get preferential treatment at the hot dog stand....THAT would be worth paying for... :D Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file