Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

NEEDING KNOWLEDGE

BIGWEBBBIGWEBB Posts: 214 ✭✭✭

Hey all I'm big Webb never been on this forum mostly stay over at B.S.T. Anyway I have a slab and thought maybe someone here could drop some knowledge on me please. I'd appreciate any info you can give. Again thanks.

COOKIES!

Comments

• Options

Also no grade. Is that weird or not?

COOKIES!

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a sample slab. A tpg (third party grader) will put them out to show a new slab style. Some people collect them.

• Options

Nice to know thanks. Wasn't sure what it was. Why no grade? Any thoughts?

COOKIES!

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,783 ✭✭✭✭✭

Early NGC sample slab. No need to go to the trouble to grade it as it was going to be given away as a sample of what the slabs looked like.

• Options

Aaahhh ok. That makes sense. Thanks.

COOKIES!

• Options
    REALGATORREALGATOR Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 24, 2019 6:12PM

Its not graded because its just a common date used to show the format of the new label at that time. There are collectors of these "Sample slabs". Looks like the coin has some nice toning which seem to appear often in the "old fat" holders.

You'll also find PCGS samples as well as other grading service sample slabs out in the wild.

• Options

Thanks for all the info everyone. If someone knows a sample collector maybe drop my post. Thanks.

COOKIES!

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

At the time the sample slab was produced, the coin inside might not have been worth one dollar. It was a giveaway item, like might be distributed at a convention.

• Options

Nice to know. I'm like a sponge on here. I'm learning a lot in a little bit of time. Keep it coming.

COOKIES!

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the CU forums @BIGWEBB.

What do you buy, sell, or trade on the coin BST forum?

Each forum has their own BST.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Speaking of sample slabs.....If a sample slab has a grade, is their reason to assume care was given to match the coin to the grade?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BIGWEBB ... Welcome aboard....Do you just buy and sell? Or do you collect also? Cheers, RickO

• Options
    markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is a sample slab, it is when the grading company in this case, NGC tests there slabbing technology.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:
    Speaking of sample slabs.....If a sample slab has a grade, is their reason to assume care was given to match the coin to the grade?

My understanding (feel free to correct me) is that on some very early sample slabs they added "sample grades", I.e. - numbers that were not necessarily reflective of the grade of the coin in the holder.

I assume that this practice was short-lived as it might cause confusion and skepticism over the grading process.

• Options

To add: The OP's coin probably looks better in hand - I'll bet that is some nice blue toning.

I have a couple very similar NGC slabs tucked away somewhere that I got for free way back when. All I had to do was give my phone number and address to some coin marketing firm (Willow Tree?). They added their own clear sticker to the lower part of the slab. My coins are early 1960s dimes with some great blue toning (sorry ricko), much like the one shown here.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,675 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello @BIGWEBB come on back and stay a while. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

Just checked out some DAN CARR threads that @Lakesammman sent me from the U.S coin forum. Man they are pretty cool and can learn a lot from those guys. THANKS!

COOKIES!

• Options

ttt

COOKIES!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file