Home U.S. Coin Forum

Calling all SLQ Experts

AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can someone tell me what this is in the 0? This is NOT post mint damage, and I cannot find any info on varieties or errors like this. Can someone enlighten me?

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"

Comments

• FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can we get a better, closer up, sharper photo?

(and one of the reverse too, if possible)

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a cast to me

• PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

The color looks off

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like a cast counterfeit to me too.

• AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 24, 2019 1:16PM

When Fred asks we listen!

...that's why I asked for a reverse photo too.

I'd say NG now

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 24, 2019 1:28PM

I'm going to play Devil's advocate. I'm not 100% convinced the coin is a counterfeit. The piece is NOT CAST. The "0" is damaged and metal is pushed over.

Wait until a coin show and get an opinion from someone who can examine the actual coin or send it for authentication.

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, That looks like a ground find to me.

@Insider2 said:
    I'm going to play Devil's advocate. I'm not 100% convinced the coin is a counterfeit. The piece is NOT CAST. The "0" is damaged and metal is pushed over.

Wait until a coin show and get an opinion from someone who can examine the actual coin or send it for authentication.

@FredWeinberg said:
    ...that's why I asked for a reverse photo too.

I'd say NG now

NG meaning not genuine?

@Insider2 said:
    I'm going to play Devil's advocate. I'm not 100% convinced the coin is a counterfeit.

How else would you explain the grainy, funky surfaces?

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought it was a cast counterfeit too based on the first image.

Seeing the additional photos it was most likely a 1930-s someone recut all digits in the date.

A lot of idiotic work when the 27-s is the bigger money date in lower grade.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Yea, sorry.... NG = No Good

(imo, based on the photos only)

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in the genuine but buried and damaged group. The entire bottom portion of the date plus the denticles below look to have been pushed.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cameonut2011 said:

@Insider2 said:
    I'm going to play Devil's advocate. I'm not 100% convinced the coin is a counterfeit.

How else would you explain the grainy, funky surfaces?

The surfaces ARE NOT grainy but the posted image is. They ARE funky due to corrosion.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

The eagle's head looks off, unless it's the angle

• CRH4LIFECRH4LIFE Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭

First glance. Striking similar to other cast counterfeits

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it is a genuine 1926-S coin that is slightly distorted and eroded due to having been in a fire (and then cleaned up).

• AercusAercus Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭

@dcarr said:
    I think it is a genuine 1926-S coin that is slightly distorted and eroded due to having been in a fire (and then cleaned up).

Dan is right, it's a 26-s. Note the serif on the 1. That wouldn't be present on a 20-s. However, I think it maybe was intentional alteration followed by some damage to hide the work.

Aercus Numismatics - Certified coins for sale

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Counterfeit with PMD on the date. :/

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks - to me - as if someone attempted to alter the date... but there is also PMD.... Cheers, RickO

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

All of the above......After all it's only worth the silver value with that damage/corrosion.

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Aercus said:

@dcarr said:

Dan is right, it's a 26-s. Note the serif on the 1. That wouldn't be present on a 20-s. However, I think it maybe was intentional alteration followed by some damage to hide the work.

@Aercus said:

@dcarr said:

What they said.....

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Just checked Ali, it looks very similar to the ones they have.

• AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am pretty sure it is NOT a cast counterfeit. It weighs out, and it does not set off my numisdar. I also think it may very well be post mint damage after looking at it carefully. The abrasion lines "flow" in that exact direction and the damage looks to have been some type of parallel shearing as opposed to local hit.

This was a lot of fun, thanks everyone for your comments.

• abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Calling All SLQ Experts"

I'm out.

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think it's an altered original.

I don't think it's genuine.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks fake to me.

edited June 27, 2019 9:54AM

@AMRC
    "I am pretty sure it is NOT a cast counterfeit. It weighs out,"

Weight can be spot on with many of the counterfeits. Several things look off on this coin. The initial M on the obverse should show better, even on very low grades it can still be seen. The details on the shield are poor even for a weak strike coin. Her hand, sash & olive branch area doesn't look quite right. The right vertical for the date pedestal step is rounded off and does not come to a corner. There are a few other things but this should be enough to start with. I would encourage you to look at photos on ebay and here on coinfacts and compare your coin. Look at all grades and see what details you should be seeing for different grades & strike. You have the coin in hand and I do not so I could be wrong.

just my 2 cents :)

Send it to ICG! Let Skip examine it under his electron microscope.

@insider2

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file