Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Preferred TPG for T-206 cards

Hi everyone,

I am starting to gain interest in T-206 cards, and it seems some prefer SGC and others PSA. I am interested in learning why individuals prefer one over the other? Is it mainly aesthetics as to how the card looks in the case or are there other considerations?

Thanks!
Michael

Working on Baseball HOF Autograph Set Registry

Comments

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rounding3rd said:
    Hi everyone,

I am starting to gain interest in T-206 cards, and it seems some prefer SGC and others PSA. I am interested in learning why individuals prefer one over the other? Is it mainly aesthetics as to how the card looks in the case or are there other considerations?

Thanks!
    Michael

It certainly comes down mostly to your motives and intentions for collecting.

The PSA Registry is a great way to keep track of, shop for, display and share (and compete) with your collection of T206 cards.

Other collectors like the aesthetics of the black SGC insert against the card and there’s been an ongoing attempt to improve their own ‘registry’, as well.

I also know many T206 guys who go raw. One of my close friends has about 300 beautiful T206 cards he bought as a kid from an ad in the back of the Sporting News with the money he made cutting lawns. Cash for an old school grocery store paper bag full of cards in a diner. He had 4 graded with PSA in the early 90s - all legit. No Plank or Wagner but a nice Cobb, Johnson, Speaker, Young and dew other stars.

To each their own but if you’ve got the dough and are eye appeal driven, some combination of all three driven by price is probably the best approach.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with most of what Tim says above. It is mostly dependent on what your goals are. I agree with your idea to collect them in TPG holders and not raw. The SGC holders with the black gasket are attractive and make the colors of the card pop, plus SGC definitely does have a reputation within certain corners of the hobby (Net54) as the prewar experts. Personally, though, I’ve always hated their labels and I hate the look of the new ones much more. PSA cards of all eras (yes, even ultra modern) still command the best resale prices if you think this is a collection you or your heirs would ever want to sell. But if value isn’t a consideration, either TPG will do. Again, like Tim said, depends on your goals.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• 60sfan60sfan Posts: 311 ✭✭✭

Would like to see PSA come out with a black background on their holders.

• TiborTibor Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would definitely go with PSA. The best resale value for the dollar.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,252 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 24, 2019 2:43PM

A lot of people prefer SGC because pre-WW2 cards are supposed to be their specialty.

• x2drich2000x2drich2000 Posts: 63 ✭✭✭

I would also consider what grade you are looking at. Poor/fair, just keep them raw as the grading fees to submit will be half the cost of a common. Vg/EX or higher, the arguments above are spot on. Personally, I like SGC better, but everyone has their preference. Also keep in mind, if you are going for a full set, over 500 slabs can take up quite a bit of space if that is an issue for you.

• rounding3rdrounding3rd Posts: 287 ✭✭✭

Thanks everyone for the input!

I plan to collect low to mid-grade ones for enjoyment that have good eye appeal. I have a couple other PSA Registry Sets, so would be nice to have T206 on there as well, and I agree with comments regarding better resale value with PSA.

However, I tend to like SGC holders better aesthetically due to the black background. The few I have already are various SGC holders. I may wait a bit to see what the "new and great" SGC registry and website is all about before I either crossover to PSA or stay with SGC (but get them all in new holders).

Working on Baseball HOF Autograph Set Registry