Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Why do PCI toners command such high premiums?

I was wondering why are PCI toners so special and command such a premium?
Were they the go to service for toners to be graded back in the day? Are these susceptible to gassing? or do they just turn in the holder?
I saw this dime sell a couple weeks back for a nice premium and its been on my mind ever since...

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?icep_id=114&ipn=icep&toolid=20004&campid=5338461489&mpre=https://www.ebay.com/itm/1938D-Mercury-Dime-PCI-Monster-Toned-/273870553204?hash=item3fc3f50074%3Ag%3AP0EAAOSwTiBc8Tbj&nma=true&si=8bZLB4oQ63h3jaMGz1aEL3C91bo%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Comments

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCI's holder insert was/is notorious for target toning, that is from the rim inwards, fairly evenly.

For whatever reason, since it was unintentional and/or happened over a period of time, it's market acceptable today.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 23, 2019 2:38PM

PCI toning is generally pleasing as it’s colorful and progressive with smooth transition in color.

The first thing I did when looking at that auction was to see if it was still available :(

I wonder if anyone buys old PCI slabs to our new coins inside for toning? Like Meghrig Wayte Raymond albums?

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

With good photos, the seller might have doubled his top bid.....

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

...nothing sells better than time...that’s all ;)

• Options
    TradesWithChopsTradesWithChops Posts: 640 ✭✭✭✭

I consider PCI toning to be AT.

Minor Variety Trade dollar's with chop marks set:
    More Than It's Chopped Up To Be

• Options
    RexfordRexford Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TradesWithChops said:

Agreed. I understand the debatability of "intention" but the look of them does not sit right with me.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TradesWithChops said:

Why?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    edited June 23, 2019 4:14PM

@Rexford said:

@TradesWithChops said:

Agreed. I understand the debatability of "intention" but the look of them does not sit right with me.

It's hard for me to see PCI as "AT" but perhaps it may not be "MA" to some people.

Objectively classifying toning from unintentional storage as "AT" seems like it could put a lot toning like album toning and bag toning into the AT category.

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭✭✭

You see a lot of PCGS coins with PCI target toning, some are even advertised as such.

Search on fleaBay for coins, term PCI (in the description) and choose PCGS certification. Over time you'll see them...

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_dcat=11975&_fsrp=1&_nkw=pci&_sacat=11116&_from=R40&rt=nc&Certification=PCGS

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll bet it doesn't look very nice in hand. Pretty sharp angles to get pics like that.
    I have a PCI that turned near black like the majority of the fields on that dime.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:
    With good photos, the seller might have doubled his top bid.....

That was a BIN, but maybe if they listed it for $600 they could have doubled the sale price.

• Options

@Zoins said:
    It's hard for me to see PCI as "AT" but perhaps it may not be "MA" to some people.

Objectively classifying toning from unintentional storage as "AT" seems like it could put a lot toning like album toning and bag toning into the AT category.

Ignorance is bliss, huh?

I have a hard time seeing it as natural, when it is caused by us- intentionally or not. All one has to do is lie about their intentions.

• Options

@sparky64 said:
    I'll bet it doesn't look very nice in hand. Pretty sharp angles to get pics like that.
    I have a PCI that turned near black like the majority of the fields on that dime.

The interesting thing is that people have reported some PCI toners continuing to tone even after they've been cracked and transferred to PCGS slabs. I wonder if they need to be neutralized before reslabbing?

• Options
    edited June 23, 2019 4:17PM

@TradesWithChops said:

@Zoins said:

Ignorance is bliss, huh?

I have a hard time seeing it as natural, when it is caused by us- intentionally or not. All one has to do is lie about their intentions.

It's not ignorance, it's just saying that this line of reasoning seems to also lead to saying bag toned Morgans and album toned CBHs would end up in the same category. Is that your intention?

• Options

@MFeld said:

@TradesWithChops said:

Why?

Because a faulty holder caused quickened toning compared to nature. Is that not the very definition of "artificial"?

Answer:
    ar·ti·fi·cial
    /ˌärdəˈfiSHəl/
    Learn to pronounce
    adjective
    made or produced by human beings rather than occurring naturally, especially as a copy of something natural.
    "her skin glowed in the artificial light"

• Options

@TradesWithChops said:

@MFeld said:

@TradesWithChops said:

Why?

Because a faulty holder caused quickened toning compared to nature. Is that not the very definition of "artificial"?

Answer:
    ar·ti·fi·cial
    /ˌärdəˈfiSHəl/
    Learn to pronounce
    adjective
    made or produced by human beings rather than occurring naturally, especially as a copy of something natural.

What about a faulty canvas bag or coin album?

• Options

@Zoins said:

@TradesWithChops said:

@Zoins said:

Ignorance is bliss, huh?

It's not ignorance, it's just saying that this line of reasoning seems to also lead to saying bag toned Morgans and album toned CBHs would end up in the same category. Is that your intention?

Sure, I'm comfortable with that. Why is it okay for some to artificially tone coins and others not?

• Options

@TradesWithChops said:

@Zoins said:

@TradesWithChops said:

@Zoins said:

Ignorance is bliss, huh?

Sure, I'm comfortable with that. Why is it okay for some to artificially tone coins and others not?

It's okay if you're consistent which it seems like you are.

I just think you'll have a much harder time convincing people bag-toned Morgans and other album-toned coins are AT.

• Options

@Zoins said:

@TradesWithChops said:

@MFeld said:

@TradesWithChops said:

Why?

Answer:
    ar·ti·fi·cial
    /ˌärdəˈfiSHəl/
    Learn to pronounce
    adjective

The US Mint causes plenty of problems in coins- as do banks processing those coins. Why is toning treated differently?

Is it because color looks better than milky spots? heh.

• Options

@Zoins said:

@TradesWithChops said:

@Zoins said:

@TradesWithChops said:

@Zoins said:

Ignorance is bliss, huh?

It's okay if you're consistent which it seems like you are.

I just think you'll have a much harder time convincing people bag-toned Morgans and other album-toned coins are AT.

That's just because people like them - and they are haters.

• Options

Weird. my last statement got cut out saying it will appear when it is approved.

• Options

@Zoins said:

@TradesWithChops said:

@Zoins said:

@TradesWithChops said:

@MFeld said:

@TradesWithChops said:

Why?

Answer:
    ar·ti·fi·cial
    /ˌärdəˈfiSHəl/
    Learn to pronounce
    adjective

The US Mint causes plenty of problems in coins- as do banks processing those coins. Why is toning treated differently?

Is it because color looks better than milky spots? heh.

Of course, the next step is to say all toning is corrosion like @ricko ;)

Science != Marketing coins.

What the masses likes often causes grading companies to compromise on science.

• Options

I mean, no disrespect to people who love the PCI's.

I collect strictly trade dollars with chop marks, which is PMD. I'm glad PCGS grades them as chop marks, and I find historical value to that - but it is post mint damage. Albeit, PMD ordered by the Emperor of China!

• Options
    edited June 23, 2019 4:33PM

@TradesWithChops said:

It's not just PCI, but also PCGS because PCGS slabs them as MA.

And apparently, you think bag-toned Morgans are AT as well.

• Options

@Zoins said:

@TradesWithChops said:

It's not just PCI, but also PCGS because PCGS slabs them as MA.

And apparently, you think bag-toned Morgans are AT as well.

That is correct. That is my current understanding. Feel free to disagree. To disagree is a slippery slope though. Then, you have to decide which actions are natural, and which ones are not.

• Options

@TradesWithChops said:

@MFeld said:

@TradesWithChops said:

Why?

Answer:
    ar·ti·fi·cial
    /ˌärdəˈfiSHəl/
    Learn to pronounce
    adjective

While you included a dictionary definition for “artificial”, that’s not a generally accepted one pertaining to toning on coins. Under that definition, any toning that occurs as a result of man made products - even those made for coin storage - would be “artificial”. What toning, if any, would you consider to be natural?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    1. PCI/other holders/old NGC etc
    2. lots of different albums
    3. bags
    4. manilla envelopes where the owner INTENDS to tone the coins over 10 years.
    5. living on the east/west coasts versus living in Iowa, and not controlling the environment
    6. chemicals/heat

Where do you draw the line?

• Options
    edited June 23, 2019 4:40PM

@MFeld said:

@TradesWithChops said:

@MFeld said:

@TradesWithChops said:

Why?

Answer:
    ar·ti·fi·cial
    /ˌärdəˈfiSHəl/
    Learn to pronounce
    adjective

While you included a dictionary definition for “artificial”, that’s not a generally accepted one pertaining to toning on coins. Under that definition, any toning that occurs as a result of man made products - even those made for coin storage - would be “artificial”. What toning, if any, would you consider to be natural?

That is the million dollar question. The more I think about it, the more I'm coming to the conclusion that toning is damage that is market acceptable.

That said, It's to the market as a whole to decide. My opinion is not representative of that collective.

My opinion is that all toning is damage.

• Options

@TradesWithChops said:

@MFeld said:

@TradesWithChops said:

@MFeld said:

@TradesWithChops said:

Why?

Answer:
    ar·ti·fi·cial
    /ˌärdəˈfiSHəl/
    Learn to pronounce
    adjective

That is the million dollar question. The more I think about it, the more I'm coming to the conclusion that toning is damage that is market acceptable.

That said, It's to the market as a whole to decide. My opinion is not representative of that collective.

Drawing a line in the “right” place and coming up with a definition which will satisfy (nearly) everyone is probably impossible. But that doesn’t stop some of us from trying.😉

• Options

@TradesWithChops said:

@MFeld said:

@TradesWithChops said:

@MFeld said:

@TradesWithChops said:

Why?

Answer:
    ar·ti·fi·cial
    /ˌärdəˈfiSHəl/
    Learn to pronounce
    adjective

Are all your coins white? :)

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

They have some pretty other dimes!

• Options

@bolivarshagnasty said:
    Canvas bags, government packaging, coin albums, paper sleeves, PCI slabs all have imparted toning on coins. The difference between AT and NT in my opinion is time. Did this toning take years to happen or weeks?
    I'm sure the Founder of PCI had no intention of his slabs toning coins. At that time in history, white coins were sought after. Toning would have ruined the coins in many eyes of that era. His choice of materials for the slabs just happen to be the wrong combination. I took years for the PCI holders to impart color on the coins, and decades for the canvas bags to color the Morgans. I am a fan of PCI toned Silver Eagles as they are easy to differentiate from the multitudes of AT Silver Eagle stuff out there. There uniqueness (toning pattern) is why I still choose to own a few.

So, based on your timetable, if a coin tones too quickly in a canvas bag, govt. packaging, paper sleeves, an album, etc., it’s “AT”, but if it doesn’t, it’s not?😉

• Options
    edited June 23, 2019 7:48PM

@Zoins said:

@TradesWithChops said:

@MFeld said:

@TradesWithChops said:

@MFeld said:

@TradesWithChops said:

Why?

Answer:
    ar·ti·fi·cial
    /ˌärdəˈfiSHəl/
    Learn to pronounce
    adjective

Are all your coins white? :)

No- I do have one toned 1876-cc trade dollar, and a few other minor toned coins as well. They all have chop marks

You can look at my collection here: https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/showcase/3058.

I do like the look of some toned coins, even if I consider it damage - the same as I like chop marks.

• Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Also many of the coins were very accurately graded some even conservatively. This dime had been graded 64 non full band by PCI.

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@bolivarshagnasty said:
    Canvas bags, government packaging, coin albums, paper sleeves, PCI slabs all have imparted toning on coins. The difference between AT and NT in my opinion is time. Did this toning take years to happen or weeks?
    I'm sure the Founder of PCI had no intention of his slabs toning coins. At that time in history, white coins were sought after. Toning would have ruined the coins in many eyes of that era. His choice of materials for the slabs just happen to be the wrong combination. I took years for the PCI holders to impart color on the coins, and decades for the canvas bags to color the Morgans. I am a fan of PCI toned Silver Eagles as they are easy to differentiate from the multitudes of AT Silver Eagle stuff out there. There uniqueness (toning pattern) is why I still choose to own a few.

So, based on your timetable, if a coin tones too quickly in a canvas bag, govt. packaging, paper sleeves, an album, etc., it’s “AT”, but if it doesn’t, it’s not?😉

That's correct. I have yet to see someone post a beautiful toner that they had in a taco bell napkin for a year. Toned? Yes. Beautiful? No. The really nice stuff seems to take time. Would love to see a picture of accelerated toning that looks anything close to the ASE above. I have experimented.

• Options
    edited June 23, 2019 8:14PM

@Zoins said:

@Rexford said:

@TradesWithChops said:

While intention is certainly a consideration to make, I only find it helpful to a certain point.

1) I think that all intentional toning is artificial.
    2) I think that some intentional and thus artificial toning is acceptable. For example, items placed in albums or on windowsills with the direct purpose of inciting toning, are acceptable to me. I often am able to separate these types of intentionally (artificially) toned items as acceptable because they, to put it simply, take a long time to create (although "a long time" is an ambiguous phrase and they can still be made in bulk). Perhaps another way of putting it is that these acceptable artificially-toned items are purposefully made, but using methods that were originally used for other purposes and unintentionally resulted in toning. Neither of these "definitions" cover everything.
    3) I think that all unintentional toning is natural.
    4) I think that some unintentional and thus natural toning is not acceptable. Let's say at one point it was common practice to store coins in sulfur powder for whatever reason, but the intention was not to create toning. The resulting toning would be extreme, but unintentional. I personally would not find these acceptable, because of the appearance of the coin. Another scenario: a person uses a method known to cause unacceptable artificial toning, but he does not know this is the case and the resulting toning is thus unintentional. Does that make the toning acceptable? No. Is there a way to precisely define the difference between acceptable and unacceptable natural toning? Probably not.

In the end it all comes down to my personal preference in distinguishing between what I find acceptable and not acceptable, because it cannot be logically categorized. I feel that I generally have a pretty good eye for this and, while I love toned coins and mainly collect them, I am very, very particular about the ones I buy. I am very quick to reject coins that I find to potentially be problematic, even if other people are paying thousands for their color. I personally do not find PCI toning to be acceptable, because it is too extreme in appearance and very closely mimics gassed coins in color. It is also too modern a method for me, a little bit too "man-made", and the toning occurs too quickly relative to other methods that I find more acceptable.

In this vein, at the moment it comes down to personal preference for everyone in making this distinction between acceptable and not acceptable toning. This is the difficulty that third-party grading services are left to deal with: they must decide this uncertain, unscientific, and unpredictable distinction for the public when they grade coins, based on what they feel the market generally finds to be acceptable.

• Options

@bolivarshagnasty said:

@MFeld said:

@bolivarshagnasty said:

That's correct. I have yet to see someone post a beautiful toner that they had in a taco bell napkin for a year. Toned? Yes. Beautiful? No. The really nice stuff seems to take time. Would love to see a picture of accelerated toning that looks anything close to the ASE above. I have experimented.

Obviously, I cant know for certain, but my guess is that you have seen some beautiful coins that did tone quickly. But that you weren’t aware if it.

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rexford said:

This isn't intended to be argumentative, but I think judging based on intent can be problematic. For example, suppose you put a silver eagle in a particular type of album because you know it will tone the coin, while some guy across town puts the same type coin into the same type of album, knowing nothing about the possibility of the coin ending up toned. A couple of years pass and each silver eagle is similarly toned, with the toning on one being artificial and the other natural?

• Options

@MasonG said:

@Rexford said:

This isn't intended to be argumentative, but I think judging based on intent can be problematic. For example, suppose you put a silver eagle in a particular type of album because you know it will tone the coin, while some guy across town puts the same type coin into the same type of album, knowing nothing about the possibility of the coin ending up toned. A couple of years pass and each silver eagle is similarly toned, with the toning on one being artificial and the other natural?

You're just agreeing with me lol

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 24, 2019 5:40AM

To answer the OP, simply because people like them.

A large part of the market views this general appearance as acceptable and a smaller but significant part of the market finds them to be quite desirable. I don't think it's any more complicated than that.

As for the NT/AT debate, will someone here please wake me up when everyone finally agrees on something?

• Options

@Rexford said:

@MasonG said:

@Rexford said:

It didn’t sound that way to me.

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@bolivarshagnasty said:

@MFeld said:

@bolivarshagnasty said:

Obviously, I cant know for certain, but my guess is that you have seen some beautiful coins that did tone quickly. But that you weren’t aware if it.

That’s a possibility.

• Options

@MFeld said:

@Rexford said:

@MasonG said:

@Rexford said:

He only quoted part of my comment. His statement is supported in the rest of the comment.

My first sentence was "While intention is certainly a consideration to make, I only find it helpful to a certain point." I provided examples parallel to the one about silver eagles in lines 2) and 4).

• Options

@Rexford said:

@MFeld said:

@Rexford said:

@MasonG said:

@Rexford said:

He only quoted part of my comment. His statement is supported in the rest of the comment.

My first sentence was "While intention is certainly a consideration to make, I only find it helpful to a certain point." I provided examples parallel to the one about silver eagles in lines 2) and 4).

Thank you.

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rexford said:

My comment was not related to "acceptable" vs. "not acceptable" toning. I was pointing out that using intent as a measuring gauge can get one into the position of identifying the toning of basically identical coins as both artificial and natural.

Apologies for the confusion.

• Options

@MasonG said:

@Rexford said:

My comment was not related to "acceptable" vs. "not acceptable" toning. I was pointing out that using intent as a measuring gauge can get one into the position of identifying the toning of basically identical coins as both artificial and natural.

Apologies for the confusion.

Thank you. My apologies for turning this into a back-and-forth.

• Options
    dmwestdmwest Posts: 947 ✭✭✭✭

One thing I've seen is that PCI ASEs get straight graded by our hosts, but I've seen PCI graded Morgans with the same style of toning get QC. Has anyone ever seen a straight graded PCI target toned Morgan?

Don't quote me on that.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file