Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

NY Sales tax on eBay is increasing my business from NY

jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

As I anticipated, now that NY residents have to pay sales tax on all eBay purchases, they no longer avoid me. LOL.

As a NY business, I've been charging sales tax on NY sales for 20 years. As a result, most NY residents tried to shop out of state to avoid the sales tax. Now that they can't avoid the sales tax, it doesn't matter who they buy from.

Whether the inability to avoid sales tax is affecting purchase price is harder to ascertain. I think there is a tendency to just accept the sales tax when it is inevitable. I mean, have you ever insisted on a discount on a shirt or car tires because of the sales tax? There may be an adjustment period, but I think it has been much ado about nothing.

I do wish they'd go to a national tax that applies to everyone equally. As things currently stand, if you are in a state that either has a coin exemption or no internet sales tax, you are at a competitive advantage over us poor slobs in sales tax states.

Just an observation. I've done more coin sales to NY residents in the last month - a usually slow month - than in the previous 6 months.

Comments

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

I do wish they'd go to a national tax that applies to everyone equally. As things currently stand, if you are in a state that either has a coin exemption or no internet sales tax, you are at a competitive advantage over us poor slobs in sales tax states.

Sorry that I have an advantage. Please consider moving here. 101 degrees but low humidity.

:)

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Sorry that I have an advantage. Please consider moving here. 101 degrees but low humidity.

The same advantage in California with a resale license or go big and spend over $1500 for no sales tax.

Plus we got the Pacific.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

On top of that...why do you want those of us who live in states that have a sales tax exemption on coins to have to pay sales tax? Why don't you get in the push to get an exemption in your state? H! If Cal. can get some concession why not NY?

• Options

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@Coinstartled said:

@jmlanzaf said:

The same advantage in California with a resale license or go big and spend over $1500 for no sales tax.

Plus we got the Pacific.

Cool ocean sounds pretty good right now. B)

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    As I anticipated, now that NY residents have to pay sales tax on all eBay purchases, they no longer avoid me. ...

Just an observation. I've done more coin sales to NY residents in the last month - a usually slow month - than in the previous 6 months.

How many of those sales were over $1000?

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options

@amwldcoin said:
    Why don't you just move outta that RatHole! >:)

@jmlanzaf said:

You want me to abandon my octagenarian parents?!?!?

• Options

@amwldcoin said:
    On top of that...why do you want those of us who live in states that have a sales tax exemption on coins to have to pay sales tax? Why don't you get in the push to get an exemption in your state? H! If Cal. can get some concession why not NY?

It's not about coins. I'm talking about EVERYTHING. Yes, I'd rather have no taxes at all. But given that there are going to be some and given that I disagree with SCOTUS about the Wayfair ruling, I'd rather we have a uniform fair tax system than a disparate potentially punitive system. Keep in mind that it is most unfair to the poor who cannot simply move.

• Options

@MrEureka said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    As I anticipated, now that NY residents have to pay sales tax on all eBay purchases, they no longer avoid me. ...

How many of those sales were over $1000?

None

• Options
    jkrkjkrk Posts: 967 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have the opposite problem.

Indirectly, I'm probably helping you. I'm in NYC and I have surplus $20 gold pieces that I won't offer since I no longer can replace them without paying a sales tax.

I was looking to give up my resale cert (if I'm no longer in the selling business) but my accountant said perhaps I should reconsider? I guess it's Time to open the Ebay store and make sure by certificates are up to date?

• Options
    TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 23, 2019 9:51PM

@jmlanzaf Do you have a B&M, if so which part of NY?

@amwldcoin said:

Speaking of rats, cats are being bullied by those 2 lb rats in NYC. Too gross to post picture or video evidence here. Google it if you dare. lol

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 24, 2019 9:14AM

I just checked eBay will charge tax for California on October 2019. I hope that will help me. Right I only have few buyer from California

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations, with a special emphasis on 'con'.

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@amwldcoin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

You want me to abandon my octagenarian parents?!?!?

Have them move to Florida like all of the other old New Yorkers.

thefinn
  • Options

@Coinstartled said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@amwldcoin said:

It's not about coins. I'm talking about EVERYTHING. Yes, I'd rather have no taxes at all. But given that there are going to be some and given that I disagree with SCOTUS about the Wayfair ruling, I'd rather we have a uniform fair tax system than a disparate potentially punitive system. Keep in mind that it is most unfair to the poor who cannot simply move.

Oh boy---the poor that cannot move argument. Those folks get whacked the hardest when they buy cigarettes and lottery tickets. The tax on the condition rarity coins that they buy is over the top.

Bernie! Bernie! Bernie!

There's no tax on lottery tickets.

• Options

@2ndCharter said:
    My wife and I made decision to "Escape From New York" twelve years ago. Now, you want to penalize us for moving to a low-tax state?!?! What I would like to say would get me banned from this forum......

It doesn't penalize anyone to have a uniform tax code on interstate commerce.

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

Not true......Taxes, in and of themselves, are a penalty !

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@Coinstartled said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@amwldcoin said:

Oh boy---the poor that cannot move argument. Those folks get whacked the hardest when they buy cigarettes and lottery tickets. The tax on the condition rarity coins that they buy is over the top.

Bernie! Bernie! Bernie!

Tickets are internally taxed at a 50% rate.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmmm, What about states that target out of staters? Locally here we have Tennessee. Folks in Tennessee don't pay taxes all of us around here(SE) do because they jack their sales tax to the moon counting on taxes out of staters pay when they visit or travel through!

@jmlanzaf said:

@2ndCharter said:
    My wife and I made decision to "Escape From New York" twelve years ago. Now, you want to penalize us for moving to a low-tax state?!?! What I would like to say would get me banned from this forum......

• Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

Huh??? If I suddenly have to start paying the tax - that's not a penalty??

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options

@amwldcoin said:
    Hmmmm, What about states that target out of staters? Locally here we have Tennessee. Folks in Tennessee don't pay taxes all of us around here(SE) do because they jack their sales tax to the moon counting on taxes out of staters pay when they visit or travel through!

@jmlanzaf said:

@2ndCharter said:

Those wouldn't be affected by INTERNET sales taxes.

I don't care what locales do in general. But the nexus issue with internet sales requires, I think, more than a local solution.

• Options

@2ndCharter said:

Huh??? If I suddenly have to start paying the tax - that's not a penalty??

No, the tax has never existed before in this country. Something of a VAT.

I'm NOT talking about local sales tax. Jurisdictions can handle that however they see fit. I'm suggesting that the "cloud location" of internet sales requires a less local solution.

And you really should consider the broader implication to YOU (and everyone else) of any extension of this taxing of interstate commerce.

Suppose, with precedent set, NY decides to impose a tax on any item that has a NY manufactured part or that passes through NY in transit or that has a NY accounting firm working for the manufacturer. Or suppose they decide to tax you because the internet servers you surf through are located in NY state?

It would be far better, and simpler, if the Feds maintained control of cloud commerce and not allow states to invoke nexus this way.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Coinstartled said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@amwldcoin said:

Bernie! Bernie! Bernie!

LOL. That's an innumeracy fee not a tax.

• Options

@thebeav said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Not true......Taxes, in and of themselves, are a penalty !

That is a separate argument. But until you can ban taxes [Vote Anarchy!], making them fair seems the least we could do.

• Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.....

Where have I heard that before?

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just throwing words...

“Individual Mandate” another way to say tax.

“Fee” is another way to say tax.

IMO

• Options
    TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 25, 2019 8:51AM

@Hemispherical said:
    Just throwing words...

“Individual Mandate” another way to say tax.

“Fee” is another way to say tax.

IMO

in layman's term, extortion pay your protection money or else.... :D

• Options

@2ndCharter said:

Oddly, that doesn't apply to this thread at all.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    Now that eBay is charging sales tax, the BST Forum is looking better and better. :D

there killing us small :s

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2ndCharter said:

Bernie Sanders?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

I agreed, I hate it here

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    jonrunsjonruns Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:

I'd move but the view from my new rathole in Saratoga Springs NY is too nice.

• Options
    jkrkjkrk Posts: 967 ✭✭✭✭✭

Help me understand this....

I can buy a $1,000 FRN on E-bay for $2000. I then will be asked to pay a couple hundred dollar sales tax. In total I might pay $2200. I have to pay tax on money?

My question is whether I'll soon be paying a tax when I get cash from the ATM? :/

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, at least it has leveled the playing field for you in your home state which is good news.

I would have not foreseen that result but it makes sense.

I live in a rural area 5 miles south of the "Upstate" NY border. We spend almost all of our money in NYS, shopping, dining, etc.

The people, history, towns, small cities, culture and natural resources are fantastic.
    Second to none.
    Including the Niagara frontier.

It's a shame the bad rap the state gets due to where the population is concentrated and the resulting over-the-top legislation.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    jonrunsjonruns Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have no issue paying the NYS tax but don’t understand why different dealers charge me a different percentage: for example CRO is 4%...DWN is 7%...

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

internet Tax going into effect October 1, 2019
    California
    North Dakota
    South Carolina
    Texas
    Utah

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@Coinstartled said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Coinstartled said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@amwldcoin said:

Bernie! Bernie! Bernie!

LOL. That's an innumeracy fee not a tax.

Add in the tax on the jackpot winner and you are in the 70% range.

• Options
    chesterbchesterb Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sales tax never impacted my decision to purchase a nice coin that I liked. I always considered it the cost to acquire. I live in NY and never stopped buying from Heritage despite them collecting sales tax.

BTW, the state of NY is more than just the city. All politics aside, it's a beautiful state that has a lot to offer.

• Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinpalice said:
    California
    North Dakota
    South Carolina
    Texas
    Utah

Do you have an official reference? I live in Utah and I have not heard nor read of a sales tax. There is a sales tax on certain bullion items with 50% metals, but nothing else that I am aware of.

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ARCO said:

@coinpalice said:
    California
    North Dakota
    South Carolina
    Texas
    Utah

Do you have an official reference? I live in Utah and I have not heard nor read of a sales tax. There is a sales tax on certain bullion items with 50% metals, but nothing else that I am aware of.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/taxes-import-charges?id=4121#section4

• Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 26, 2019 7:21AM

@coinpalice said:

@ARCO said:

@coinpalice said:
    California
    North Dakota
    South Carolina
    Texas
    Utah

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/taxes-import-charges?id=4121#section4

Thank you. So it is Ebay imposing a blanket tax. In Utah, coins and precious metals are still exempt from sales tax. Bye bye Ebay, it was nice knowing you for almost twenty years.

• Options

@ARCO said:

@coinpalice said:

@ARCO said:

@coinpalice said:
    California
    North Dakota
    South Carolina
    Texas
    Utah

Thank you. So it is Ebay imposing a blanket tax. In Utah, coins and precious metals are still exempt from sales tax. Bye bye Ebay, it was nice knowing you for almost twenty years.

If coins and metals are exempt in Utah, eBay will exempt them as they have for other states. eBay can NOT LEGALLY IMPOSE A SALES TAX. They are just following whatever the state guidelines are.

• Options

@chesterb said:
    Sales tax never impacted my decision to purchase a nice coin that I liked. I always considered it the cost to acquire. I live in NY and never stopped buying from Heritage despite them collecting sales tax.

BTW, the state of NY is more than just the city. All politics aside, it's a beautiful state that has a lot to offer.

Yes, I live closer to Cleveland, Ohio than NYC.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file