Home Precious Metals

Scratched off serial number on silver bar

zski123zski123 Posts: 256 ✭✭✭

This ticks me off to no end. Someone has offered me a 100 oz silver bar for $1,200. I asked him for the assayer and he sent the attached pic. The serial number has been obliterated which screams stolen bar. I would think a 100 oz stolen bar would have been reported. I'm going to call the police to let them know. Don't you think if the bar was reported and the victim had the serial number, it can still be traced with a high degree of confidence?

Comments

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 23, 2019 8:19AM

Dat's one hot potato!

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

Low price and a defaced serial number? What could go wrong?

Collector, occasional seller

• rte592rte592 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

No doubt that is or was a stolen bar at one time.
    I'd have a few more questions as to WHO is holding it now to determine whether it's still warm.
    There is one at the local G&S place that was suspect as well.

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

stolen

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

That J-M 20 oz bar was cut into thirds to check the interior to make sure it wasn't hollowed out and backfilled with a base lead alloy. I sure wouldn't want to buy it. That bar will eventually be sent to a refinery as scrap since I doubt anyone will want to buy it.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

most likely hot, one of the pawn shops across town deal in stolen merchandise, and they get them in all the time, they take them to the refinery quickly!

• rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    That J-M 20 oz bar was cut into thirds to check the interior to make sure it wasn't hollowed out and backfilled with a base lead alloy. I sure wouldn't want to buy it. That bar will eventually be sent to a refinery as scrap since I doubt anyone will want to buy it.

Wow, whoever did that should be banished to Antartica, it’s mind boggling the ignorance...

keceph `anah
  • zski123zski123 Posts: 256 ✭✭✭

I'm certain its hot. The police are going to meet him tomorrow. Hopefully someone will get their bar back albeit at a lower value.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@zski123....If you hear the results of the visit, please post so we know also... Cheers, RickO

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

That sucks. I certainly wouldn't want it. :unamused:

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

some 0ne elses bar? pass

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Who is the seller? An acquaintance? Etc....crazy, crazy....even if you are not buying it, ask them where they got it. I am curious. Most likely stolen at some point.

@thisistheshow said:
    Who is the seller? An acquaintance? Etc....crazy, crazy....even if you are not buying it, ask them where they got it. I am curious. Most likely stolen at some point.

I run an ad on Craiglist to buy silver. About half of the respondents are running some type of scam. This guy is either fencing a stolen bar or is the thief.

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh boy, keep us posted !!! :'(

Timbuk3
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stolen

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • CRH4LIFECRH4LIFE Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭

Can make a out a couple of the #’s

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's worth spot silver $1547 (assuming it's not Chinese lead} which is all I'd pay for any silver bar regardless of who's name or number is stamped on it.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

@CRH4LIFE said:
    Can make a out a couple of the #’s

Wonder it the serial number could be raised with a mild acid like on recovered guns.

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 25, 2019 2:35PM

@zski123 said:

I run an ad on Craiglist to buy silver. About half of the respondents are running some type of scam. This guy is either fencing a stolen bar or is the thief.

Well don't keep us in suspense - what other scams do people run? :p

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

As far as the stolen bar is concerned, if he had not obliterated the serial # he could have dumped it on someone. However, as is, it is of no value to an honest buyer.

What an idiot the thief is. Dishonest and stupid. :s

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,625 ✭✭✭✭✭

Revealing a serial number is sketchy at best. Yeah the molecules are compressed but if you don't get every number you don't solve anything. A gun with an obliterated serial number is a crime to possess. Reporting it to the cops and walk away. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

@JBK said:

@zski123 said:

Well don't keep us in suspense - what other scams do people run? :p

You name it. I place an ad offering to buy coins and I receive responses to purchase what it is I'm selling. Makes no sense but clearly a robo scam. They offer to send a check for up to $6000 and you then of course ship off your precious metals to a PO box. I get that one at least once a week.

@Namvet69 said:
    Revealing a serial number is sketchy at best. Yeah the molecules are compressed but if you don't get every number you don't solve anything. A gun with an obliterated serial number is a crime to possess. Reporting it to the cops and walk away. Peace Roy

I've now called the detective 3 times and he's not called me back. Unreal! Vero Beach Police department must be slammed.

edited June 28, 2019 3:40PM

@zski123 said:

I've now called the detective 3 times and he's not called me back. Unreal! Vero Beach Police department must be slammed.

I'd put money on Just Lazy.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bad boys, bad boys, whatcha gonna do? Whatcha gonna do when they come for you?