Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1981 Popy Hulk Hogan MOC signed and the 1981 Marusho at the Hogan's Beach Shop in Orlando today...

Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been giving some thought to getting the back of the 1981 Popy MOC Hulk Hogan signed and was on the StairMaster this morning and said I am going today. Hulk was signing at the Hogan's Beach Shop in Orlando. I got my stuff ready and drove over there and it was sweltering outside.

When I parked I thought I don't know if I can do this. The line was wrapped around the building and the heat index is 105 and just scorching. I went inside to buy my tickets and saw Ron who runs it and said will Hulk sign these. I opened my Lucky's Market paper bag and said yeah it is the holy grail and one of Hulk's most rare wrestling cards from Japan. He said OMG and signaled to someone to come over and check it out.

I indicated that I wanted 1981 Ichiban Hulk Hogan signed on the back and he said no problem but it would be a super premium item. I said no issue but I am not waiting in that line and I need to skip to the front and be able to sit inside in the AC. He said I have guys out there spending $1,000 and I said too bad I am not waiting in that line in the heat. He said no problem.

When I got to the booth Hogan was like WOW. I have only seen a few of these and I said with the card and he said yeah my Mom had one. He had never seen the Marusho card and really stared at it for a while. I got him to sign it in a silver pen and when he signed it I was so pumped. He wrote Hulk Hogan on the left and Ichiban on the right. When I got to my car it was easily 120 inside of it and I reached into my bag so excited and the ink was melting and sticking to the card saver. I was like NO!!!! Thankfully I had a red solo cup with some melted ice and was able to wipe off the Ichiban part and salvage the item.

The Popy came out amazing and I couldn't be happier to have it signed and for Hogan to see it in person. Money well spent!!!

Here are the pics.

Comments

• ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dude. Sweetness. Nuff said.

Andy

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is so cool! Congratulations! Thanks for posting.

• CSUrunandstunCSUrunandstun Posts: 573 ✭✭✭

Dpeck...PM me, I have something you might like...

Successful transactions with FavreFan1971, ffishonn, Davemri, Publius, DavidPuddy, frcarvell, recbball, and many others...
  • SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

Pretty legit! Congrats!

• Great story and pictures. The writing and Hogan's signature on the back of the wrestling figure look fantastic.

You've acquired and created a killer 1/1.

And on the front of the figure, I especially like the Computer Bar "Cord" System moniker. Must've been some new, high tech stuff at the time!

• Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you all for the comments and checking out the thread.

• balco758balco758 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dpeck, absolutely awesome!

• BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

David.... Awesome piece. Thanks for sharing.

"EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON

Thanks again guys for the comments.

Life is funny because you are always learning new things. The reason I wanted Hulk to add Ichiban is because I knew that is what they called him in Japan during this period. Someone asked me what it meant and I had to honestly say I don't know. It turns out it means #1 and hence why he put that next to it.

My only regret from this visit is not asking Hulk if he knew why there were so few of the cards. When I was next inline my heart started racing and I just went with the flow when Ron introduced me and the items. The one thing you know when you are close to Hulk is he is a living icon.

It would be interesting to know what came of the figure his mom owned.

• SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    edited June 25, 2019 8:33AM

They have Japanese postcards of Hulk Hogan from the early 1980s that have his mother’s mailing address (not a PO Box either) so you could write fan mail and have it sent to her.

Since the Popy cards were discovered with these Popy figures, costs have skyrocketed and supply has dried up. An iconic piece of early Japanese Hulk memorabilia for sure!

edited June 25, 2019 7:05AM

@SumoMenkoMan said:
    They have Japanese postcards of Hulk Hogan from the early 1980s that have his mother’s mailing address (not a PO Box either) so you could write fan mail and have it sent to her. Since the cards were discovered with these Popy figures, costs have skyrocketed and supply has dried up. An iconic piece of early Japanese Hulk memorabilia for sure!

Great info!

I guess perhaps I am a little biased but I would put this item right near the top of all Hulk memorabilia. I think it has it all and why I went so hard after it when the person who got it from a Japanese auction site contacted me on Twitter to buy it. Sure his 1982 Wrestling All Stars Series A is more popular but this is literally almost impossible to find in any condition and I think real rarity vs. condition rarity from a collecting standpoint is better.

• IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,423 ✭✭✭✭

is there any company that will now encapsulate the figure/packaging?

Congrats
    IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
    edited June 25, 2019 5:36AM

@Ironmanfan said:
    is there any company that will now encapsulate the figure/packaging?

Congrats
    IMF

Yes there is a company AFA that grades and encapsulates them. Their pop report shows one graded but it is the Mascaras card version. They grade the packaging so this one won’t grade super high but would still look great in one of their holders. I plan now that I got it signed to explore that route. I would love to be able to safely display it.

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    Such a great item.

I can honestly say Hulk Hogan is the only time in my life I was ‘starstruck’; in my younger days, the building I worked in was also home to Z100, a big hit radio station in NY. They had all sorts of stars on all time time so you’d see them in the elevator lobby often. About 15 years ago, Hulk’s daughter was out pumping her new album and dad was with her.

When I rounded the corner, I froze. Couldn’t move. Had to fight the urge to say my prayers and take my vitamins. It was unreal - he was in full garb - boots, bandana, cut off shirt. I didn’t even get a look at his daughter (who was dressed like a streetwalker and is a pretty girl) because my gaze couldn’t divert from the Hulkster.

I have met, shook hands with and even dined with a few stars and pro athletes. Nothing like that ever happened before or since.

So now, I know the answer to that famed question:

I will do absolutely nothing and stand completely still when Hulkamania runs wild one me.

Great story brother! I normally use bro but you get it.

Hulk is easily one of the most recognizable people in the world. As soon as he walked through the curtain it was like OMG there is Hulk. It has been probably six or seven years ago when my twin brother Bill and I got to meet him backstage at TNA in Orlando. We both were like Hulk!! We shook his bear paw like hands and took a pic. Unfortunately it was one of the worst photos I have ever taken with my face looking all distorted so I have never posted it but it was a tremendous experience. He is a real star.

I have said this many times over the years but Hulk Hogan is different when it comes to wrestling collectibles. He is a global pop culture icon and is a true celebrity. There are loads of rare trading cards that exist in the genre that only die hard fans or collectors would have interest in but Hulk has extreme cross over appeal. There are probably plenty of people who read my commentary and say that sounds cool but would never go purchase the cards. On the flip side a Hogan card is one where non wrestling card collectors could say I would love to own one.

He is just different.

@wrestlingcardking

Killer card Rob!

Here is the pop report. Only four copies ever graded. Such a tough card to find.

https://www.psacard.com/pop/boxing-wrestling-cards-mma/1981/kajiwara-productions-wrestling/116789

I am very excited to give the signed copy some company! These are awesome little cards.

• eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭

Very cool stuff. Will psa grade the marsho yet?

Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭

Nope, we do not have a full checklist yet

BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Awesome story and great items! I tell people all the time, despite all the big time HOF'ers, superstars, and famous entertainers at The National each year, Hulk Hogan is the biggest draw every time. The place goes nuts, and there is a buzz as soon as he enters the building!!!

• divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing those awesome stories and some rare items for sure.

David, I myself have never felt that way about meeting someone and could only imagine the feeling of being awestruck in such a way that you just go blank, but it sounds like you had an amazing experience and one you won't forget for a long time. My wife had a similar experience when she met one of her idols Cam Neely (Boston Bruins) at a sports card show that she took me to. I don't drive and my wife has been driving me to sports card shows for over 25 years now. I knew Cam was going to be there, but it was a complete surprise to her. I bought a ticket for an autograph and when we were called up my wife stood there in front of the table where he was seated frozen and speechless. He spoke to her for a full minute and she said absolutely nothing in return. To try to get her to say something, I even told Cam a short story of how my wife is one of his biggest fans and that if she were to ever leave me it would only be for him. He broke out laughing and I thought that would shock my wife into saying something, but it did not. After a few minutes he finally gave up talking and was handing back our newly autographed $8 bill, I shook his hand and thanked him for his time when my wife finally managed to muttered "nice to meet you". It was simply a priceless moment. I knew right there that she was awestruck to be in Cam's presence as my wife is NEVER at a loss for words.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)

@poppincurbs said:
    Awesome story and great items! I tell people all the time, despite all the big time HOF'ers, superstars, and famous entertainers at The National each year, Hulk Hogan is the biggest draw every time. The place goes nuts, and there is a buzz as soon as he enters the building!!!

Hulk Hogan is easily one of the top twenty five most recognizable people in the world. I have said from the beginning that wrestling cards will never be worth what baseball cards are but that they would carve out a niche and the 1982 Hogan was going to be a big card leading the charge. Hulk Hogan is Hulk Hogan. People can say whatever they want but there is no bigger star ever in wrestling and while perhaps there are others people liked more or think had better ring work, he brought in the bucks.

@divecchia said:
    Thanks for sharing those awesome stories and some rare items for sure.

David, I myself have never felt that way about meeting someone and could only imagine the feeling of being awestruck in such a way that you just go blank, but it sounds like you had an amazing experience and one you won't forget for a long time. My wife had a similar experience when she met one of her idols Cam Neely (Boston Bruins) at a sports card show that she took me to. I don't drive and my wife has been driving me to sports card shows for over 25 years now. I knew Cam was going to be there, but it was a complete surprise to her. I bought a ticket for an autograph and when we were called up my wife stood there in front of the table where he was seated frozen and speechless. He spoke to her for a full minute and she said absolutely nothing in return. To try to get her to say something, I even told Cam a short story of how my wife is one of his biggest fans and that if she were to ever leave me it would only be for him. He broke out laughing and I thought that would shock my wife into saying something, but it did not. After a few minutes he finally gave up talking and was handing back our newly autographed $8 bill, I shook his hand and thanked him for his time when my wife finally managed to muttered "nice to meet you". It was simply a priceless moment. I knew right there that she was awestruck to be in Cam's presence as my wife is NEVER at a loss for words.

Donato

Great story!

You sound like a really good dude.

• divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great story!

You sound like a really good dude.

Thanks David, I appreciate the compliment.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • I know he gets $200 for a premium item, what does he get for a super premium?

Did his name stick on the card saver at all or just the inscription?

@williplett said:
    I know he gets $200 for a premium item, what does he get for a super premium?

Did his name stick on the card saver at all or just the inscription?

I paid $375 including tax for both to get signed. He was charging $100 and $70 per additional at the store so I paid a little more than double.

Yes unfortunately both his name and the inscription were impacted but thankfully his name had modest damage. The Ichiban part was just an ink blob and unrecognizable so I removed it.

@poppincurbs said:
    Awesome story and great items! I tell people all the time, despite all the big time HOF'ers, superstars, and famous entertainers at The National each year, Hulk Hogan is the biggest draw every time. The place goes nuts, and there is a buzz as soon as he enters the building!!!

After being at the wrestling convention last week with dpeck, I know that the buzz around the place would be entirely different if Hulk Hogan or Ric Flair were there. I really enjoyed going to meals with our own guys and really like them as people and it makes me look at their wrestling cards differently, but there are some guys that are in another category and the biggest is the Hulkster.

Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable

Dave have tried getting the popy figure slabbed by any of the figure grading companies? Would be cool just to properly encase the figure to protect it. This is a great item. I’m having sellers remorse getting rid of the Hogan popy card. You have so many great wrestling cards. I think this is the most impressive

Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here

I have not but perhaps I will one day. It is just sitting in my safe.

I personally think it’s a major item with both Hulk’s first figure and hard stock trading card in one and in this case autographed too.

This will be a 10k plus item at some point I believe. Time will tell.

I agree. Think this card has a lot of room to run. It’s so rare.

@eagles33 said:
    Dave have tried getting the popy figure slabbed by any of the figure grading companies? Would be cool just to properly encase the figure to protect it. This is a great item. I’m having sellers remorse getting rid of the Hogan popy card. You have so many great wrestling cards. I think this is the most impressive

I was curious if you would have any seller's remorse with putting your items up. You should have some nice cash to buy again if that is the route you choose to take.

Generally I’m happy with the decision. Only a handful of cards I sort of wished I kept because think there is room for them to really explode. This is prob the one card that I think was actually under valued.