Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Turn of the Century Proof Coins from the Phildelphia Mint

I recently purchased a few envelopes dated in the late 1890's and early 1900's addressed from the US Mint in Philadelphia. The envelopes are wax sealed on the flap. Inside is folded tissue paper. Can anyone confirm that this is what the US Mint used to send Proof Coins to collectors or dealers who ordered them? Does anyone have any information? Much appreciated.

Free Daily Blog and Your Coin, Currency or Bullion Questions Answered - www.AskTheCoinDealer.com

Best Answers

• Options
    Ask_the_Coin_DealerAsk_the_Coin_Dealer Posts: 17

Roger, most have 6 cents of postage or more and the envelope is a very thick paper. All envelopes were sent registered mail. Two are addressed to dealers of that era. I assumed that the tissue paper was original to the envelope.

Free Daily Blog and Your Coin, Currency or Bullion Questions Answered - www.AskTheCoinDealer.com

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good color photos would be even better. (I sense a fine information article coming....)

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

If possible I would love to see pictures of these. Very interesting.

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can also search some auction companies for photos of similar auctions of early proof sets. I know that Goldberg Auctions have had a few in the last few years. Would like to see photos of what you have too. Cool!

:+1:

• Options
    edited June 23, 2019 8:06AM Answer ✓

Regarding the photos posted by edwardjulio....

Available records show that most proof sets were bought in person at the Philadelphia Mint by visitors. Thus, most sets would be packaged similarly to the one illustrated. Here is an excerpt from an 1897 Philadelphia Mint document concerning sale of proof sets.

Answers

• Options

PS: Your post time stamped "June 22, 2019 5:29PM" did not appear.

• Options

Yes! :smile:

• Options

Thanks for the suggestion Michael

• Options

Edward... thanlks for the pics. My enevelopes have been through the mail so that is a little differenmt. Looks like yours was hand-delivered. The ones I have had tissue paper folded up inside of them and what looks like imprints of coins. I will post some pics when I get the envelopes out of safekeeping.

Thanks all!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I look forward to the pictures... never saw any of these old mint envelopes at coin shows... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,565 ✭✭✭✭✭

I too would love to see some pictures, including the tissue paper next to a ruler to note the dimensions.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭

I had a couple of these envelopes with proof cents, but sold them years ago...

• Options
    edwardjulioedwardjulio Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB
    Thanks for the information. The envelope contained minor Proof Set for 1891, have not understood the amount written on the front. Any ideas?
    Thanks.

End Systemic Elitism - It Takes All Of Us

• Options

@drei3ree said:

Do you remember what date(s) the proof cents were?

• Options

Fantasic and interesting letter Roger. Thank you for posting.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@edwardjulio said:
    No postage on this one.

Zoom on the opened end. Is the envelope made from linen/cotten?

• Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭

@Ask_the_Coin_Dealer said:

@drei3ree said:

Do you remember what date(s) the proof cents were?

They were early 1900's, but I don't remember the exact dates. I'll look in my paper files...

• Options

@Hemispherical
    The envelope may be linen or cotton, not paper.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@edwardjulio said:
    @Hemispherical
    The envelope may be linen or cotton, not paper.

Technically... ... ... :)

I need a bit of caffeine.

• Options

@edwardjulio said:
    @RogerB
    Thanks for the information. The envelope contained minor Proof Set for 1891, have not understood the amount written on the front. Any ideas?
    Thanks.

From what is visible in the photo, the envelope likely contained an 1891 silver and minor set @ $2.50, Pages from the journal of proof and medal orders shows $2.50 to be a common order value,

We don't know if proof orders were solicited at the beginning or end of the Mint tour. But it is possible that those ordering at the beginning could have their sets assembled (including any medals they wanted), then picked up before leaving. This would have necessitated a customer's name on the envelope.

• Options

PS; I checked the limited information available of 1891 proof set buyers, but Mr. Poole's name was not on the list. That, of itself, has little meaning since most orders were recorded as "cash" and buyers' names not kept.

• Options

@RogerB
    Thank you for the research and great information. Truly appreciated.

• Options
    edited June 23, 2019 2:44PM

Coin dealers' names were, however, often kept - they ordered multiple sets by express or in person. Here's a sample page from 1895 proof coin sales:

These are not all the buyers - only ones for whom there was a written record.

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

I purchased a one family owned 1900 proof set about 12-14 yrs back. It was sent through the mail to the purchaser. I made detailed comments on the wrappings here. I do recall something like this red wax seal. The packaged was hand addressed to the buyer in pretty script....outer and inner envelopes. The coins were each wrapped several times over in very heavy tissue paper....heavier than today's bond typing paper. After over 100 yrs the silver coins were mostly mottled toning. The Indian cents toned a magnificent magenta and red as 66RB's (80% red). The original owner ordered 1 five piece set plus additional minor sets....hence 3 Indian cents and 3 LIb nickels. It also had a mint brochure stating the prices of all their gold, silver, nickel and copper offerings. This set new was around $3.75 for the 5 pc. You could have gotten a proof $20 Lib for something in the $25-$35 range...don't recall exactly.

That set is still kicking around. At the time they were mostly graded NGC 65/66 with one of them a 64. Cool set.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options

roadrunner: great info thanks.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file