Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Double stuck 1818 CBH

Now I know it’s ugly, but I was excited to acquire it!

Comments

• Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing that it got worn down that much unless it was someone pocket piece. It's cool though.

Trade $'s
  • Options
    drddmdrddm Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool, indeed!
    Not many double struck bust halves out there with such extreme doubling.

Congrats!

Dave

• Options
    lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭

That is very cool. There is still a lot to appreciate there. Imagine if that were in ms63 or 64. Thanks for sharing.

I brake for ear bars.
  • Options
    IndulgerIndulger Posts: 139 ✭✭✭

@lava said:
    That is very cool. There is still a lot to appreciate there. Imagine if that were in ms63 or 64. Thanks for sharing.

That’s what I was thinking too...nice coin!

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice score, I like

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations!

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is very cool.... I would have considered acquiring that as well - If I had been lucky enough to see it... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    GoBustGoBust Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 22, 2019 7:10PM

Cool coin and worth a decent premium. Congratulations! I really find early bust coinage errors very charming.

• Options
    cappedlibertyxcappedlibertyx Posts: 58 ✭✭✭

it's a cream puff !!!
    No, seriously though, it really is.
    & it looks like an over date, no?

• Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing ugly about that one.
    I think its great.

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is really intriguing! I was about to call it fake, but it looked close enough to the 1818/7 O.102 that I had to do any animated overlay.

I now believe it is a true O.102. But I've seen nothing like it.

Show us the reverse.
    Lance.

• Options
    KensCoins2287KensCoins2287 Posts: 138 ✭✭✭

Hey Lance, thanks for sharing that overlay, that is really cool! Do you mind me asking what software you use to do that?

• Options

@KensCoins2287 said:
    Hey Lance, thanks for sharing that overlay, that is really cool! Do you mind me asking what software you use to do that?

Nothing really special. I use a photo editor to circle-crop the image to be used to compare, then orient/rotate it so the two are aligned, and size both the same. Next create a new image with two layers, one of each picture. By adjusting opacity of one layer at different levels...say, 0%, 25%, 50%, 75%, 100%, you can create the handful of images needed for animation.

Most photo editors have this capability. I use a Mac and the Acorn app.

Finally, merge the images with a GIF creator and adjust animation speed. There are a few free GIF makers on the internet. Here's one.
    Lance.

• Options
    KensCoins2287KensCoins2287 Posts: 138 ✭✭✭

Here is the reverse, pretty much a train wreck... I don’t see any signs of the double strike on the reverse which seems rather strange to me...

• Options

In the bust half world a "double-struck" coin is usually the result of a loose hammer die which wobbles a tad on impact. There isn't really a second striking.
    Lance.

• Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lance, Is that effectively what we also call Strike Doubling?

@lkeigwin said:
    In the bust half world a "double-struck" coin is usually the result of a loose hammer die which wobbles a tad on impact. There isn't really a second striking.
    Lance.

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options

Right you are, Stuart (of course). How many names do we have for it?

I know we're not talking about doubled dies but here's a little trivia about capped bust halves: the 1820 O.108 was struck from the only doubled die in the series. It is a Class IV doubled die (offset hub doubling from centers misaligned). Not shelf doubling...true hub doubling.

The reverse working die was slightly offset during its second hub impression, leaving visible doubling on the left wing, talons, claws, leaves, berries and arrow heads.
    Lance.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file