Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

New to world coins - Questions.

ARCOARCO Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

I collected world gold coins back in the 2005-2010 years and had quite the hoard of gold. Mostly large Chilean 50 and 100 Peso coins. Back then you could buy nice Uncs. for a smidgen over spot. Sold them prior to the big gold run up mostly in the $1100-$1200 gold spot range.

Questions:
1) where are some of the best and largest online world coin dealers - I already know about Ebay, I want to know others.

2) focusing on Circ. Swiss and French Silver 5, 2, 1 and 1/2 francs. What other countries have great silver coin designs that can be had for smaller numismatic premiums over spot (circs)? I like the 1840-1964 year range.

3) Are there commercial album/folders for sale for any world coin series? If not, what set-ups for albums do collectors use to enjoy their coins?

4) what are the best online world coin reference sites for mintages, history and price estimates.

Gracias,

Tyler

Comments

• Options

Most world silver in that time frame can be had at spot or slightly over in circ condition. As far as great designs, that is very subjective. Seems like eBay is your best bet for what you are interested in, best of luck in the hunt :)

Highly enthusiastic about world coins, contemporary circulating counterfeits and unusual stuff <3

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

http://numismaster.com/

I think the online service can be found through NGC

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will occasionally look through a dealers world "junk" bin. A lot will be silver and if you have the patience you can find some very eye appealing coins just above melt. Some nice toners and circulation cameos.

• Options
    ADGADG Posts: 423 ✭✭✭

Check out early 20th century Italy silver coins. Some beautiful designs there on several denominations.

"The vaccines work,” Trump said, adding that the people who “get very sick and go to the hospital” are unvaccinated.
    “Look, the results of the vaccine are very good, and if you do get it, it’s a very minor form,” Trump continued. “People aren’t dying when they take the vaccine.”
    Do your part, America 💉😷

• Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll try to answer two of your questions:

• World coin dealers. A few are Northeast Numismatics, Atlas Numismatics, CoinRaritiesOnline have some selection of world coins with good pictures. I think ebay is actually your best bet - sometimes you have to make sure that you search international sellers, too.

• Obviously your collecting choices may vary, but, since you mentioned French and Swiss coinage - I always thought one could put together a nice selection of European coins from around the start of WWI. There are many nice designs (including the Italian ones mentioned above) and many are plentiful in high grades.

Here's a couple of what I mean:

My current "Box of 20"

• Options
    WheatieFanWheatieFan Posts: 11 ✭✭

I think if you're looking for circulated coins eBay is ok. Many of the big name coin sites are selling higher quality, more expensive material. Most dealers selling circulated coins won't provide pictures, eBay usually does. For circ. coins some online sellers to look up: Frank S Robinson, Joel's coins, Bob Reis, Don's World Coin Gallery store section. I think it would be best to go to a local dealer or coin show.

If you like French and Swiss coins of that period look up the Latin Monetary Union. Many countries had coins of compatible sizes and purity. You'll also find a lot from the British Empire which adds variety not only of the country, but of the pictured King or Queen. I really like Japanese silver coins of 1870s - 1920s and know I'm not the only one.

There are some old Dansco albums floating around that draw interest, but most haven't been updated since the 60s. I take pictures of my coins to view on the computer and keep them in binders or trays.

A good online source is Numista. The search is very good and fine tune-able.

• Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

1) You might try delcampe.net for a format similar to ebay, but focused more on coins and stamps. I also like vcoins.com and ma-shops.com for smaller dealer storefronts. There are good overseas dealers with web presence, depending on what your interest is - for example www.cgb.fr for French coins.

3) There are a few folders/albums available. Dansco has some and Whitman is good for Great Britain and Canada. Frovin Sieg makes albums for Denmark, Norway and Iceland.

4) Numista is also useful for reference. en.numista.com/

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 30, 2019 11:27AM

If you are looking for 20th century Swiss coins, I suspect you could find a nice selection at the larger shows like ANA. I would attempt to buy UNC pieces raw, as the coins seem to be common and the price spreads aren't wide.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 20, 2020 5:35PM

I use a Dansco album with their vinyl pages and slipcase for one of my raw collections. It makes for a good safe presentation for raw coins.

danscoalbumstore.com/dansco-pages-c-100.html/dansco-pages-vinyl-pages-c-100_118.html

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

Take the opportunity to define your objectives. You could consider a short set that may exclude rarities or seek complete sets are various grade levels.

There are several countries and series to consider as illustrated below:

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.