Home U.S. Coin Forum

Comments

• abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's relisted. Didn't sell.
    Stunningly beautiful Morgan.

• gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Worth about 250.00 to me.

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

The sticker adds a few grand. Ditto for the rattler. >:)

As you can tell, I'm not impressed. It's not even that pretty. I think the price is about 24x the real value.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 21, 2019 4:53PM

I would not pay anything near that figure for that coin. Frankly it doesn't do much for me because I'm not sure that it’s natural.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

@BillJones said:
    I would not pay anything near that figure for that coin. Frankly it doesn't do much for me because I'm not sure that its' nutural.

But it stickered! >:)

(I'm sorry. I couldn't resist).

• david3142david3142 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 21, 2019 4:29PM

@cameonut2011 said:

As you can tell, I'm not impressed. It's not even that pretty. I think the price is about 24x the real value.

Hahahahaha. If that were your coin you would value it at $500? Come on.

That color is extremely impressive to me. It’s expensive, sure, but that color on a stickered rattler is well into the four figures. I couldn’t possibly guess any more without seeing it in hand.

@david3142 said:

@cameonut2011 said:

That color is extremely impressive to me. It’s expensive, sure, but that color in a stickered rattler doesn’t seem insane to me.

Of course ownership always adds a zero or two. You know me better than that by now. :D

• CRH4LIFECRH4LIFE Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭

At least it is attractive. Better then most outrageous listing on eBay or other portals that are the plain Jane and listed for similar amounts. We could make multiple posts a day. But hey if you have money to burn? 🤷🏼‍♂️ Not my money

edited June 21, 2019 2:56PM

@cameonut2011 said:

@david3142 said:

@cameonut2011 said:

That color is extremely impressive to me. It’s expensive, sure, but that color in a stickered rattler doesn’t seem insane to me.

Of course ownership always adds a zero or two. You know me better than that by now. :D

That sounds about right. Welcome back. 😀

• goldengolden Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

No !

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cameonut2011 said:

@BillJones said:
    I would not pay anything near that figure for that coin. Frankly it doesn't do much for me because I'm not sure that its' nutural.

But it stickered! >:)

(I'm sorry. I couldn't resist).

I don't care.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • LuxorLuxor Posts: 409 ✭✭✭✭✭

All of the negative and sarcastic posts aside.......that appears to be an incredibly vibrant true monster toned coin from the ebay pics and certainly worthy of a very large premium IMO regardless of holder or stated grade. It also wouldn't shock me to see that coin regraded a couple of points higher sometime in the future. As for the price, we have all seen superbly toned pieces bring crazy money many times before, so nothing surprises me anymore.

Your hobby is supposed to be your therapy, not the reason you need it.

• TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

Every man would probably put a different price on that coin. For me....Not sure I would pay 10% of that price. I'm more interested in the coin, as minted, with a more normal coloration...

But, if you are a collector who values the truly UNIQUE, maybe that's the coin for you....(assuming there are other takers at close to that price! Don't overpay for something you are the only market for!)

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭✭✭

The photo looks enhanced/juiced (some of those colors, like the yellows, don't look like that on toners).
    I'd think $2,000-$4,000 would be the correct range for it in an auction setting with spirited bidders.

• ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's NT, I've sen those colors before on many a Morgan. That's a coin that needs to be seen in hand to make a final judgement, but even I think that price is way optimistic, to put it nicely.

• ilikemonstersilikemonsters Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭

I will say though, the color is without a doubt real IMO.

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 21, 2019 3:26PM

Maybe I will ask that kind of money for my double sided toner.

CAC liked it too! :p

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd say the OP common Morgan with toning premium that it is a $70 dollar coin, $80 if I have had a magarita....

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
    edited June 21, 2019 8:25PM

@ilikemonsters said:
    Anybody considering this coin, beware. The slab shot in the listing is heavily juiced.
    This coin has some history. It sold in a Heritage sale last year for $2,700 (?). It then resold for $5,000. Now it's on eBay for $12K.

Here is the link to the heritage sale.
    https://coins.ha.com/itm/morgan-dollars/silver-and-related-dollars/1883-o-1-ms63-pcgs-pcgs-population-53380-52304-ngc-census-58072-62097-ms63-mintage-8-725-000/a/1278-7841.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Nice detective work! I remember that coin from Heritage now. I didn’t recognize it from the other obverse pics, both of which look juiced. Maybe if he had offered free shipping I could bring myself to hit the Buy-it-now, but that extra $7.35 makes me hesitant. :wink:

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

If a coin like that were offered to one of my local brick and mortar dealers the gray sheet would come out. They don't pay premiums for anything ... smart and savvy.

All glory is fleeting.
  • BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

The listing has ended, but is there any indication that it actually sold for $12k?

• BigMooseBigMoose Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭

The images in the ebay listing were maximally juiced.

TomT-1794

Check out some of my 1794 Large Cents on www.coingallery.org

@291fifth said:
    If a coin like that were offered to one of my local brick and mortar dealers the gray sheet would come out. They don't pay premiums for anything ... smart and savvy.

I wouldn’t call it smart nor savvy. If the LCS offered the person a 2x-3x premium (or even more), they could have resold it for 20x+ greysheet. I call that money left on the table.
    Maybe that LCS can survive on scrap metals, but a little extra research could be very rewarding (and it’s puzzling that they have no desire to do it).

edited June 21, 2019 5:16PM

@BryceM said:
    The listing has ended, but is there any indication that it actually sold for $12k?

Checking watchcount shows it sold for the full price of $12k, but it was to a zero feedback buyer who likely never paid as the coin is now relisted for the same $12k price.

@ilikemonsters said:
    Anybody considering this coin, beware. The slab shot in the listing is heavily juiced.
    This coin has some history. It sold in a Heritage sale last year for $2,700 (?). It then resold for $5,000. Now it's on eBay for $12K.

Here is the link to the heritage sale.
    https://coins.ha.com/itm/morgan-dollars/silver-and-related-dollars/1883-o-1-ms63-pcgs-pcgs-population-53380-52304-ngc-census-58072-62097-ms63-mintage-8-725-000/a/1278-7841.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Now it looks some better.

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

No...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • ike126ike126 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even during the peak of the color days 05 06 that wouldn't reach that much at auction such as stacks or larry Goldberg. The battle creeks 65 and 66s were going for less then that....

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

Worth maybe $45 tops. Taco Bell gives adds in another $11950. Crazy world, peeps with more $$$ than sense.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• ARCOARCO Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 21, 2019 7:26PM

There are about ten million really neatly toned Morgan silver dollars. If a person waited 18 seconds, they would probably see another show up for sale some wjere else. Lastly, God knows what kind of tweeking was done to the photo to enhance the colors. What would it look like in hand in natural light? Not like that at all.

When you buy a coin, it is "worth" what you could turn around and sell it for the next day, nothing more.

• YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

Laughable

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it at 1k-ish. Pretty coin.

Seller is a nice guy. Don’t know why he juiced the slab shot...as the closeups are better. I’ve bought from him before—toner—and his closeups were accurate, though of course with the best lighting. Again, don’t know why he juiced the slab shot for this one, it’s obviously off.

• mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure that it’s natural.

My first thought when I saw the piece after opening the link. Colors look "painted on" to me.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

So many comments on a lowly Morgan?
    What a waist of time....

• DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are about a dozen people in America who would pony up big time for a coin like that. Since it's in an MS 63 holder that is a bigger factor to price than it's common date.

I'd love to see an actual collector of such monsters weigh in but I'd be willing to bet it's worth at least $5,000.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Funky color, IMO. Looks AT to me. I’d pay $17.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.

Come on folks, it’s not a $12k coin but it’s also not a $45 coin. The value is also not determined by what you can sell it for the next day. Almost any coin in an auction takes longer than one day to sell and it takes time to sell all items.

No one has to pay a premium for toning, but to not recognize that toners bring a premium is silly (as there is plenty of market data to prove they do sell for a premium).

@mr1874 said:
    I'm not sure that it’s natural.

My first thought when I saw the piece after opening the link. Colors look "painted on" to me.

That painted look is caused by enhancing the photo. The coin displays all the signs of natural toning (or market acceptable toning, if one prefers that term).

• rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭

$2750

"You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
    edited June 21, 2019 8:29PM

@U1chicago said:
    Come on folks, it’s not a $12k coin but it’s also not a $45 coin. The value is also not determined by what you can sell it for the next day. Almost any coin in an auction takes longer than one day to sell and it takes time to sell all items.

No one has to pay a premium for toning, but to not recognize that toners bring a premium is silly (as there is plenty of market data to prove they do sell for a premium).

I don't know what it is about toning that some collectors simply refuse to acknowledge its value in the marketplace. I understand that eye appeal is extremely subjective, but one can know something is valuable to others without liking it themselves. I don't really collect gold (other than buying a few type coins) but I'm not on here saying I'd pay melt for a 27-D Saint.

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭✭✭

No.

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

No

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency

@david3142 said:

@U1chicago said:

I don't know what it is about toning that some collectors simply refuse to acknowledge its value in the marketplace. I understand that eye appeal is extremely subjective, but one can know something is valuable to others without liking it themselves. I don't really collect gold (other than buying a few type coins) but I'm not on here saying I'd pay melt for a 27-D Saint.

No one said it wasn't valuable. We disagreed with the seller's valuation. The eye appeal is limiting as is the grade. Usually to hit high four figures to five figures most collectors want at least MS65. There are exceptions, but I don't think this is one of them. Your comparison is also not apt. Most can agree on a fair price for a 27-D within a small range, and there is less subjectivity than with toning. Almost all of this coin's value is due to subjective toning as opposed to the (much more) objectivity rarity that is the primary driver of the saint's value.

edited June 21, 2019 10:02PM

@cameonut2011 said:

@david3142 said:

@U1chicago said:

No one said it wasn't valuable. We disagreed with the seller's valuation. The eye appeal is limiting as is the grade. Usually to hit high four figures to five figures most collectors want at least MS65. There are exceptions, but I don't think this is one of them. Your comparison is also not apt. Most can agree on a fair price for a 27-D within a small range, and there is less subjectivity than with toning. Almost all of this coin's value is due to subjective toning as opposed to the (much more) objectivity rarity that is the primary driver of the saint's value.

Between blitz, arco, raybo, and dave we have at least four posters that say or imply it's not valuable.
    We can have a lively debate about the price (like your $500 or my $2k or someone else's $5k), but the melt, worthless, and $45 "valuations" are quite silly (that can be their personal value, but it is nowhere near reality in the market) based on basic research (and that was what @david3142 and I were pointing out).

"Worth maybe $45 tops" -blitz

"There are about ten million really neatly toned Morgan silver dollars. If a person waited 18 seconds, they would probably see another show up for sale some wjere else. [....] When you buy a coin, it is "worth" what you could turn around and sell it for the next day, nothing more." -arco

"So many comments on a lowly Morgan?
    What a waist of time...." -raybo

"Funky color, IMO. Looks AT to me. I’d pay $17." -dave

edited June 21, 2019 10:04PM

@U1chicago said:
    We can have a lively debate about the price (like your $500 or my $2k or someone else's $5k)...

My $500 number was based on the slab shot. In light of the new pictures and information, I think your $2k price is probably closest to what the seller might expect. $5k seems like an outlier to me.

@cameonut2011 said:

@U1chicago said:
    We can have a lively debate about the price (like your $500 or my $2k or someone else's $5k)...

My $500 number was based on the slab shot. In light of the new pictures and information, I think your $2k price is probably closest to what the seller might expect. $5k seems like an outlier to me.

And that is a perfectly reasonable explanation (unlike some of the others :D ).

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    I would not pay anything near that figure for that coin. Frankly it doesn't do much for me because I'm not sure that it’s natural.

Is that kind of single-sided color within the capabilities of doctors now?

edited June 21, 2019 10:29PM

@Zoins said:

@BillJones said:

Is that kind of single-sided color within the capabilities of doctors now?

I haven’t heard or seen that type of color being replicated. This is also a rattler that was slabbed around 30 years ago, so that lowers the chances of AT (and it doesn’t look like the gassed slabs that I’ve seen).

I really believe that the juiced photos are what make people say AT. If the photos were more realistic, there would be much less doubt about the color.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file