Home Metal Detecting

Why was this British Rev War button at an obscure inland NH Homesite?

steelheadwillsteelheadwill Posts: 21 ✭✭
edited June 24, 2019 10:38AM in Metal Detecting

Greetings all,
I've recovered 5 Rev era British military buttons along the seacoast, this is understandable, but I was flummoxed as to why a rather obscure ( not garrisoned nearby)regimental button would turn up at a nondescript 18/19th C inland homesite.
Upon recovery, I knew from its composition and manufacture design it was a fairly early button, then I saw the crossed stems of the wreath...... packed it in moist soil, wrapped in a leaf and secured it while I continued my search.
It was that days only significant find, Ive searched this site for years, its pretty clean...

Maybe The site was home to Loyalists, with British soldiers visiting ? not likely.
Aside from this I could think of no explanation besides someone losing a keepsake collectible, an unlikely scenario.
I needed to know how this got there.
A bit (lol) of research explained exactly why, I don't think the info will be found with web searches, I made many without results.
Privateers made the US victory against Britain possible.
Most Historians agree that without the thousands of independent privateers authorized to act against British Shipping by the Continental Congress,
The fledgling US would not have held out against Great Britain while awaiting a formal alliance with France.
The Premise was brought home to me after this recovery.

The key came from a book, Thanks to Don Troiani, aka Don in SJ.
While web research is fast, it is often far from complete, and there's nothing like holding hard copy in hand IMO.
these 4 images should make the story clear, the capture of HMS supply ship "Hope" ( AKA "Nancy?), which among many other military supplies,
was carrying 3000 uniforms intended for the Kings 40th regiment of foot, these were re-dyed and issued to soldiers of the Northern Continental Army.
Image of recovered button and Example image of same.
Appears to be B-40.g, enlisted 22mm.
I believe the homesite is that of Continental Army regular who was issued one of the captured uniforms.
Thanks for looking and HH everyone,
Pix uploaded out of my chosen order, #3 is the recovery image.

Desire is oft more pleasant than acquisition.

Comments

• Apologies for multiple posts, Trouble uploading pix....

• This is the recovered button.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it. Nice research, raiding, stealing, repurposing, use what you have, they didn't have extra anything. Thanks for the post. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@steelheadwill.... Great post and research.... Thank you for sharing this with the forum.... very informative. Cheers, RickO

• Thanks, I just love this stuff...

• pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭

Herbie! Glad to see you're still getting out. What an awesome find and part of the fun is researching it all. Rob (we met up a couple times)

• steelheadwillsteelheadwill Posts: 21 ✭✭
    edited June 24, 2019 10:35AM

Hey Rob, @pcgs69
    Are you still in NH?

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice find, still waiting to find anything from the Rev war or Civil war here in Nv.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com