Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

You guys see this monster yet? - Prooflike designation for all coins at PCGS starting July 1st

13»

Comments

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HeatherBoyd can you help us get some answers on a few of the outstanding questions some forums members posed to Brett regarding this announcement?

1. any word on whether there’s a grade cutoff for the PL designation? Like MS60 and above?
    2. How will this impact the registry, Bonus points?
    3. Will DMPL also be granted for the affected coins? The article only talks about "Prooflike" not "Deep Mirror Prooflike"
    4. Will the PCGS Price guide be updated to include values for PL/DMPL graded coins?'

Thanks in advance for any additional info you can provide!

• Options

@ShadyDave said:
    @HeatherBoyd can you help us get some answers on a few of the outstanding questions some forums members posed to Brett regarding this announcement?

1. any word on whether there’s a grade cutoff for the PL designation? Like MS60 and above?
    3. Will DMPL also be granted for the affected coins? The article only talks about "Prooflike" not "Deep Mirror Prooflike"
    4. Will the PCGS Price guide be updated to include values for PL/DMPL graded coins?'

Hello @ShadyDave

The PL designation is only available to business strike coins, tokens and medals graded 60 or higher
    There will be no registry bonus at this time, but it is not ruled out for the future
    DMPL designation will not be expanded
    Yes, once they enter the market and we have auction data they will be added to the Price Guide :)

Heather Boyd
    PCGS Senior Director of Marketing

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the quick response @HeatherBoyd!

• Options

A long time coming. Never made any sense to me they would grade SSCA gold coins as PL in the early 2000's but would never cross it to coins above water. Finally someone's making sense in PCGS management.

Brian Hodge
    Partner, President of Numismatics
    Minshull Trading

• Options
    BloodManBloodMan Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Brian_Hodge said:
    A long time coming. Never made any sense to me they would grade SSCA gold coins as PL in the early 2000's but would never cross it to coins above water. Finally someone's making sense in PCGS management.

@Brian_Hodge -- Welcome to the forum
    I completely agree and mentioned this to Brett during the Ask Me Anything Session on January 1, see below.

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,224 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jumpin' Jehoseyphat! :o

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

@messydesk said:
    Full details coming July 1, I guess.

I imagine this will also affect the registry where bonus points will be awarded in certain series as soon as it can be determined what's appropriate. I'm guessing that it will only really come into play for really modern sets like Lincoln Shield cents, where some coins can legitimately be said to have PL surfaces.

@ShadyDave said:

NO grade cut off. If an XF grade is proof like, then designate it too. Why stick with the upper levels of uncirculated? Why not make a market out of the under achieved? Ive seen prooflike in many examples of worn coins. Nobody cares, you should, make a $20 vf coin, worth $50. Coming, from an ex ANACS grader that sent a million over graded coins out in just a year. 541 551 1893

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Greer1978 said:

@messydesk said:
    Full details coming July 1, I guess.

I imagine this will also affect the registry where bonus points will be awarded in certain series as soon as it can be determined what's appropriate. I'm guessing that it will only really come into play for really modern sets like Lincoln Shield cents, where some coins can legitimately be said to have PL surfaces.

@ShadyDave said:

NO grade cut off. If an XF grade is proof like, then designate it too. Why stick with the upper levels of uncirculated? Why not make a market out of the under achieved? Ive seen prooflike in many examples of worn coins. Nobody cares, you should, make a $20 vf coin, worth $50. Coming, from an ex ANACS grader that sent a million over graded coins out in just a year. 541 551 1893

I disagree. Think about non-PL coins for a minute. At the XF 40 level little to no original mint luster exists as it is quickly worn away as the coin circulates. The same thing happens to PL reflectivity. As wear and hits are incurred through circulation, PL reflectivity is also lost through attrition. If a coin has a reflectivity or glossy sheen in lower grades, it has been polished, cleaned, or the surfaces otherwise altered.

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,979 ✭✭✭✭✭

It seems to me a coin is either proof-like or it isn’t, no matter the grade or strike type. Imagine if it was a very pricey or highly collectible AU coin that looked proof/like in every way. It walks like a duck, quacks like a duck but sits as a goose.
    But on the flip side a 2005 Lincoln cent caught my eye from the center console while I was driving, it was definitely proof-like but in its current condition I never gave it a second thought.

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,979 ✭✭✭✭✭

No PL or FB but, a decent grade. I knew there was no chance on the FB as the bottom band was not complete. As far as PL not sure if its because its a satin finish coin or it just wasn't consistent.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file