Home U.S. Coin Forum

Another NGC white holder to the stack.

Peace_dollar88Peace_dollar88 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭

I dont come across them often. but when i do they usually stay in my collection. Only 15 more to fill a box.

1 NGC 2.1
4 NGC 2.0

Comments

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think that was a great-looking holder.

• lonn47lonn47 Posts: 236 ✭✭✭

nice looking holder

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not collect slabs, but I do find those attractive.... very basic and puts the focus on the coin. Cheers, RickO

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love those and they are sooooo SCARCE.

Someday, I must add one to my holdings.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

I want one! :smiley:

• braddickbraddick Posts: 22,995 ✭✭✭✭✭

Were any Kennedy halves graded and slabbed by NGC with this same white slab holder? I ask because NGC did have an issue grading moderns back when they opened for business in 1987.

peacockcoins

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 20, 2019 1:36PM

Nice addition congrats, I would like to add another one of these to my holder collection but the asking prices are getting insane for these.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
    edited June 20, 2019 1:53PM

@coinbuf said:
    Nice addition congrats, I would like to add another one of these to my holder collection but the asking prices are getting insane for these.

He paid $198 for a $26 coin, so yeah, they do command a premium.

I would have done it too, though, as I feel they are only going to INCREASE in value and they are way cool.

Nowhere near as pricey as the black NGC # 1.

@Walkerfan said:

@coinbuf said:

I would have done it too, though, as I feel they are only going to INCREASE in value and they are way cool.

There was one of these here on the BST just last week that I offered $200 for, seller wanted $600 and told me where I could stick my offer lol. He has since deleted the ad so either he sold it or is keeping it, don't remember the coin in the slab to be honest but it wasn't worth anywhere near his asking price to me.

My Lincoln Registry

• Peace_dollar88Peace_dollar88 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:
    Were any Kennedy halves graded and slabbed by NGC with this same white slab holder? I ask because NGC did have an issue grading moderns back when they opened for business in 1987.

I know of a Kennedy in a white holder. I know the guy who owns it as well. but he may want moon money to part from it!

@Walkerfan said:

@coinbuf said:

I agree. I do feel like NGC blacks have reached their potential where the prices on the white ones seem to keep increasing over time. who knows what the future holds for holder collecting? but I enjoy this aspect of numismatics.

edited June 20, 2019 3:28PM

@1peter1223 said:

@coinbuf said:

With some patience and searching you can get the more common 2.0 ( Morgan , peace, mercury, kennedy , etc. ) NGC for under $250 and sometimes even under $200 . I think GC had a morgan sell for under $200 a few months ago ? They also pop up on ebay every now and then with a BIN of $200 +/- . Just have to have saved on search , request alerts and hope you actually get the message/text once it gets listed .

The 2.1 prices are INSANE and i would not touch some that are being offered for sale . There is a Liberty 5C in 2.1 but they are asking almost $1200 !

What's the difference? I can't even tell. LOL

Edit to add: I just googled it. The 2.1 had the gold logo on the INSIDE of slab whereas the 2.0 did not. The 2.0 casts a shadow. It's my understanding that 2.1s are quite rare.

Yep 2.1's are much more difficult to find, if I recall correctly those were not in use for very long. I know the one your talking about @1peter1223, I think that Julian just uses it as a hook to get viewers to look at his store and is not really interested in selling the piece. Its a nice lib nickel but not that nice lol.

My Lincoln Registry

edited June 20, 2019 3:33PM

@1peter1223 said:

@Walkerfan said:

What's the difference? I can't even tell. LOL

Edit to add: I just googled it. The 2.1 had the logo on the INSIDE of slab whereas the 2.0 did not. The 2.0 casts a shadow. It's my understanding that 2.1s are quite rare.

Yes , the 2.1 are apparently more rare than the 2.0 according to slab collectors . Not sure if rare enough to justify $750 to 1.2K asking price of the last 2 i have seen on ebay for sale( both Liberty nickels ) .

Agree. The difference is, so minimal, that a layman would never know.

I wouldn't pay it nor would I pay the exorbitant price for an NGC black (even though they're ultra-cool).

Not judging, though....If that's someone's thing, then more power to them.

• ilikemonstersilikemonsters Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭

@Peace_dollar88 said:

@braddick said:

I know of a Kennedy in a white holder. I know the guy who owns it as well. but he may want moon money to part from it!

I know the guy too, and it's very cool. Stupid price. Though granted, it's the only Kenned in an NGC 2.0.

• DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well . . as the discoverer of the Kennedy (Long Beach) and the proud owner for a long time . . . . .whatever you get for it is super. The 2.0 and 2.1 market has stabilized quite well where it is at . . . . . I know exactly what I will pay . . . .and exactly what I will sell for. Those here on this thread already know. I had set the market for Doilies . . . . . but couldn't quite get my hands around the entirety of the NGC White due to so few data points being out there. Now there are . . . . . . . .

I would love to see some market 'outliers' . . . . but they would be just that . . . . . 'outliers'. To my knowledge, there are 2 collectors doing 'Type' in Doilies . . . but NO ONE doing Type in NGC White. Ergo . . . the Kennedy was cute . . . . but entirely unspectacular. Hence . . . . . . . . my sale. It will not be duplicated, but determining it's worth . . .well . . . . that is easy.

Drunner

edited June 20, 2019 8:59PM

@ilikemonsters said:

@Peace_dollar88 said:

@braddick said:

I know the guy too, and it's very cool. Stupid price. Though granted, it's the only Kenned in an NGC 2.0.

Now, I'm curious....what is his asking price?

Edit to add: found it. He wants $525.

I didn't mean to be so coy.
    I collected these back when it wasn't cool. I showed these two (along with a third I should have never sold...) to the NGC table and it was then explained to me although NGC did have a policy in play back in 87' and 88' not to grade moderns (in fact they took out a full page add in CoinWorld speaking of such), a few slipped by.

peacockcoins

@braddick wow. Well just when you think there are no more!!! I thought my CC was special in the old white holder but since I thought that I have seen at least 3 other Carson cities. Still scarce. I'm curious to see what else you have in white holders? Do you mind sharing?

This is random stuff I have at the house. Most are at the bank.
    I did know of someone who claimed, back in the mid-nineties to have an Ike in these 2.0 slabs. Never saw it though, so I still kind of doubt it.

peacockcoins

Dang, the one listed on eBay was the third I owned and sold a few years back.

peacockcoins

• 78saen78saen Posts: 980 ✭✭✭✭

I love these holders and have a few 2.0 and 2.1's.. Nice addition Peace_dollar88, thanks for sharing!

Positive Transactions, CharlotteDude, SpaceMonkey, pcgs69, LeeG, MICHAELDIXON, drddm, yellowkid, jmj3esq, colorcommem, CommemDude, lkeigwin, InYHWHWeTrust, ajaan, CoinAddict, CCC2010, coinsarefun, nibanny, scrapman1077, fivecents, erickso1, ibzman350, lakeshore and more.

@coinkid855 I take it the ones on the left are all 2.1s and the ones on the right are all 2.0s? that has to be one of the biggest collections of white holders.

• coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭

@Peace_dollar88 said:
    @coinkid855 I take it the ones on the left are all 2.1s and the ones on the right are all 2.0s? that has to be one of the biggest collections of white holders.

Exactly. Either #1 or #2. Haven't checked recently.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file