Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Newp: 1837 Seated Dime

brianc1959brianc1959 Posts: 342 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been looking for a decent sample of this coin for over a year for my type set, and was glad to find one on a recent GC auction. Its slightly grungy, but has a nice original look in hand. Thanks for looking.

Comments

• Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really like the cameo, uncluttered look of the No Stars design. Congratulations on a great score!

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks nice! I like the no stars look and plan to pick one of these up some days.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a bit of mint luster in the devices. How does it look in hand? ...and what's up with the hazy spot below the ribbon on the reverse ? Is that on the holder??

Thanks for sharing.

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 'no-stars' pieces have always been my favorite seated coins. Like a baby Gobrecht dollar !

• Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great looking coin! Love that no stars style.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet dime!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

@lkenefic said:
    Looks like a bit of mint luster in the devices. How does it look in hand? ...and what's up with the hazy spot below the ribbon on the reverse ? Is that on the holder??

Thanks for sharing.

The hazy spot is on the holder, as are a couple of scratches. At some point I'll polish them out. Since its already CAC'd in an MS64 holder I probably won't get it transferred to a new holder.

• Options

I'm also in the camp that really likes this particular coin design - along with the half dime. Reminds me of the earlier flowing hair and draped bust copper coins.

• Options
    savitalesavitale Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 19, 2019 7:26PM

@BrianC I was thinking the same👇thing as @TheBeav
    “Like a Baby Gobrecht Dollar Obverse!! 😁👍

@thebeav said:
    The 'no-stars' pieces have always been my favorite seated coins. Like a baby Gobrecht dollar !

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a really nice dime... great detail... Yes, a tad grungy, but it comes with age...You can be proud of that coin. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file