Home U.S. Coin Forum

Quiz. What is this characteristic??

Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 19, 2019 1:04PM in U.S. Coin Forum

This characteristic s fairly common on vintage coins especially 1940's - 60's. Identify it.

Quiz. What is this characteristic??

Sign in to vote!
This is a private poll: no-one will see what you voted for.

Comments

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,399 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do we get to see a pic? :D

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 19, 2019 1:05PM

LOL. Poster error. I said it was common.

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

PMD ?

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

PMD.

Did that coin get run through a counting machine? ;)

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 19, 2019 3:08PM

I'm thinking PMD too.

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

Post-Mint Damage

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • JBKJBK Posts: 14,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 19, 2019 4:05PM

Definitely PMD, but I would speculate just random PMD and not the counting wheel damage that is commonly seen (especially on cents). That sort of damage is usually circular, i.e. - line or field of damage is parallel to the circumference .of he coin.

The coin here just has a swath of damage that is somewhat perpendicular to the edge.

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, PMD.

NOW I HAVE A QUESTION? Marks as this are seen on dollars, halves, and quarters. Mostly in the same position - the right obverse (usually). I believe it has something to do with the act of ejecting the coin from the press. Anyone have another opinion as I don't know the cause.

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes PMD.

Not sure what you are seeing on other coins but I don't think this one is from ejection. Best chance that machinery would produce perfect parallel lines, this coin has some waves in the lines. What ever hit it moved as it hit the coin or the coin moved from the hit or a combination of both.

Just my 2 cents :)

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

It almost looks like someone ran their finger through the fudge before it had the chance to completely firm up. I wonder if the perpendicular edge of an ejected coin could make that sort of mark... weird.

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • JBKJBK Posts: 14,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

IF it was some kind of ejection issue then it would be Post Strike Damage.

I do recall several years ago one of the presidential dollars had many instances of a particular rim damage. some sort of post striejection, presumably upon ejection.

• 1Bufffan1Bufffan Posts: 619 ✭✭✭

How about coin changers you know, or maybe not, when you would stack the coins in a tube then you would push down on the little lever to eject the coin out the bottom and into your hand this may have put PMD on a lot of coins because they were used everywhere from gas stations to newspaper boys, just my thought.

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Design for a combined ski jump and tourist wall.

Perhaps this was on the end of a paper roll on coins and was damaged by the automation crimpers.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

PMD and possibly by a roll crimper as @PerryHall noted above....Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file