Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Quiz: What caused this raised oval characteristic.

Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

You don't need to see the entire coin to get the correct answer. The poll is anonymous so take a guess anyway.
Hopefully, the advanced collectors will wait to answer so others can guess.

Quiz: What caused this raised oval characteristic.

Sign in to vote!
This is a private poll: no-one will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

I went with occluded gas. I thought these were more likely on clad pieces, but I suppose if the annealing process on gold planchet went wrong, it would produce the same effect under the pressure of minting...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not advanced, so I 'guessed' cast bubble since the rim look to have cast characteristics and there are other surface 'defects' shown in the pic.

But, as usual I will await the experts opinions :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have no idea.

• Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

Occluded Gas

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty lousy die work if that is not a cast. Look at the different 'A's for example. Look at what is going on around the 'O'. So I voted for die cast bubble.

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 19, 2019 5:46PM

I think a casting bubble would be incuse (air trapped on the surface of the mould leading to an indentation on the finished cast). No?

• Options

Some very good topics of discussion here...I'll post comments tomorrow.

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm gonna jump off the band wagon and go with PMD.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Moles or ground hogs.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like a planchet defect to me... that was not a choice.... Cheers, RickO

• Options

@Stuart said:
    Occluded Gas

This is the correct answer.

Thanks to each of you who responded. I'll use your posts as a starting point t expand the discussion. This is not a critizem of any answer as you only had a tiny magnified part of a coin to examine in my bad (not white balanced) image.

@ricko said:
    It looks like a planchet defect to me... that was not a choice.... Cheers, RickO

The image shows a raised, smooth lump. I cannot think of any planchet defect that would be raised lump on a coin.

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    I'm gonna jump off the band wagon and go with PMD.

There is PMD. That's what we call the scratches.

@spacehayduke said:
    Pretty lousy die work if that is not a cast. Look at the different 'A's for example. Look at what is going on around the 'O'. So I voted for die cast bubble.

What makes the "A's" different is the die clash under one of them. The rims are all beat up and that may have influenced your opinion.

@JBK said:
    I think a casting bubble would be incuse (air trapped on the surface of the mould leading to an indentation on the finished cast). No?

There are two types of "bubble-like" defects found on older castings. On type leaves a hole in the surface while the other leaves a raised, smooth lump.

Now, why not think about how each could be produced when a cast fake is made in a mold.

Anyone wish to answer this?

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 "There is PMD. That's what we call the scratches."

I thought you were asking about the raised oval lump not the scratches.
    Glad you set me straight about the scratches being PMD. :D

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could this be the answer to your question? When a cast fake is made in a mold and the host coin has a outward bubble the result will be a concave crater-like effect on the casting. The opposite effect will be apparent when the host coin exhibits a crater-like ding.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 "The image shows a raised, smooth lump. I cannot think of any planchet defect that would be raised lump on a coin." If it were a clad coin, it could have had an impurity trapped between the layers....Cheers, RickO

• Options

Yes. If a bubble is on the surface of the model, the mold material cannot fill the space resulting in a round depression into the surface of the cast. If a bubble is in the mold material, the cast material will fill it and leave a raised lump.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

ill go with occulated gas

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file