Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Quiz: ID this characteristic.

Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

You don't need to see the entire coin to get the correct answer. The poll is anonymous so all should take a guess. Hopefully the old-timers and advanced collectors will not add their answer until tomorrow. Then you can post the reason for your answer. Thanks.

Quiz: ID this characteristic.

Sign in to vote!
This is a private poll: no-one will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I voted for die polish since the lines seem to go beneath the devices. however, the coin could be worn After a harsh cleaning, with the lines going “under” raised devices.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

A nice example of them, too!

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

die polish best I can tell from the image.

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Die polishing !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

’’I must not allow myself to dwell on die polishing lines - there is no room for it here. Also, it is demoralizing. But I do not want to own coins that looked like they've been harshly cleaned. Not that I mind it for myself. If it is that I am to collect, I am ready to commit to problem-free coins only. But the thought that I may never see the perfect coin, so to speak or our Dansco sets, may my desires of ownership not turn my passion into bowels to water. I cannot think of it with even the semblance of equanimity.

My one consolation is the happiness that has been mine in only adding those desireable coins- those WITHOUT die polishing lines!- My conscience is clear that I have always tried to make life a joy and not chase after issues or problems within my collecting habits and choices.

I know at least that if I go to the dark side you will not look back and wonder "what if". What if I had stuck to United States issues. That is something. But it is the thought that we may be cut off from wonderful coins that reside in problem cases and slabs of which is so terrible so as to turn you away from gathering and collecting altogether.
    It is difficult to face. And I know your life without this fascinating hobby would be a dull blank. Yet you must never let it become wholly so. For you will be left the greatest charge in all the world, the stewardship of prized problem free numismatic treasures.

God bless this hobby! It is a hobby of hope of life to me. My darling fellow collectors, au revoir. It may well be that you will only have to read these lines as ones of passing interest. On the other hand, they may well be my last message to you (although highly unlikely).

If they are, know through all your life that collecting is not just a pastime but our chosen hobby, with all my heart and soul, that this remains abundantly clear: Don't collect coins with nasty hairlines or coin that LOOK like they do. These two sweet rules mean all the world to me.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I vote die polish lines..... but suspect there may be more to this quiz due to OP's diabolic mind.... >:) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 20, 2019 5:51AM

Die Polish Lines that appear to be raised above the coin surface, as opposed to scratches that would extend below the coin surface.

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

These are die polishing lines. They go under the relief design because the abrasive did not get into the recesses of the die.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I wasn't an old timer, I'd guess die polish but I won't. :p

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

:) Die Polish ;)

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Paradisefound said:
    :) Die Polish ;)

What do you have against Polish people? :D

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stuart said:
    Die Polish Lines that appear to be raised above the coin surface, as opposed to scratches that would extend below the coin surface.

Ditto.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file