Home U.S. Coin Forum

Lost in car for 5 years, finally found!

LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was trading in a car yesterday and got talking with a salesman about the car. Mentioned I had lost my Dad's pocket piece about 5 years ago. It had slipped out of the pocket of some golf shorts. I knew it was in the car but just couldn't find it!

The salesman at the next desk overheard and we got talking about the coins his Grandmother had left him. He took an interest and offered to help.

Well, in about 10 minutes he came back with the coin! He looked in an area I had overlooked (the drivers seat mechanism in a MB CL65 is complex) and found it in a guide rail - barely showing, the metal blending in.

Has a few new grease stains that will eventually wear off - was thrilled to get it back. :+1:

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

Comments

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool!

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are a few honest people out there. Thankfully it worked out for you!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • PhilLynottPhilLynott Posts: 880 ✭✭✭✭✭

that's awesome!

• Mdcoincollector2003Mdcoincollector2003 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is awesome! What denomination is that?

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad you found it!

I recently found some irreplaceable photographs that were lost in my car since 2013.

It's a good feeling.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's great! It's such a sentimental piece and good looking to boot.

Sometimes it's worth just mentioning it for someone to help.

Glad you were able to get it back.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

Think of that coin's travels through the past 144 years!

All glory is fleeting.
  • lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a good feeling to get a treasured pocket piece back! Congrats!

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s awesome!

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s awesome! Glad it didn’t have melted Skittles all over it

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a sense of relief that must have been
    Great news

• goldengolden Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad that you now have it back.

• StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

That was nice of the guy at the next desk to do...above and beyond service.

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,637 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think that car's luck just ran out!

• jedmjedm Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

A week or so ago I came across a nice ATB quarter so as usual I pocketed it in my left pants pocket to take home and put away in a tube figuring that someday I would take them out and see what I all have and maybe get an album and make a set. Well anyway as I sat down to leave in my car I heard the coin slip out and between my seat and door jam of the car. There was no way to reach it... I looked and couldm't find it anywhere . Fast forward to Monday on my way to work a black dog came out of the ditch and I slammed on my brakes hard! (I didn't hit the dog!) When I got to work I noticed the quarter was on the floor of the car way to the front. So that's one way to get stuff out from under the seat anyhow. Did you hear any tires squealing out back while you waited?

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad you were able to reclaim your coin.... Coins have a way of getting lost/misplaced.... and sometimes they just vanish.... I have told the story of my gold $5 Indian here a couple of times... found it in a place it just could not possibly be... Yet, there it was. Cheers, RickO

• mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

I play / deal with 1965 - 1968 Ford Mustangs, and have owned over 300, many of which I scrapped. I am amazed what is left in plain view or hidden or lost and forgotten. I have found 2 9mm pistols (separate cars) 2 shot guns, illegal drugs in about 15% of the cars, tons of coins, etc.

One car had 2 $100 bills rolled tightly like coke straws (in a car I paid $200 for). One car had lots of coins and cash, including $20's laying in the console area when I test drove it, and were still there when I picked it up. The owner said it was not worth his time to clean it out. Another car had many hundreds of dollars of Neiman Marcus perfumes hidden in it. Since the cars are old, and some have sat since the late 1960's, there is a fair amount of silver coins.

That does not count all the tools, fluids, chains, clothes, books, etc.

For a long time, I had a neighbor who was a police officer with a drug dog, and he would come over and "scan" any new car I picked up, and took away the "bad" stuff.

• LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a 50c piece.

Fun stories - I should have thought of slamming on the brakes! :D

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oih82w8 said:
    There are a few honest people out there. Thankfully it worked out for you!

And to think... a used car dealer!

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great story....glad you found it! :)

• SeatedTonersSeatedToners Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

@Lakesammman said:
    Was trading in a car yesterday and got talking with a salesman about the car. Mentioned I had lost my Dad's pocket piece about 5 years ago. It had slipped out of the pocket of some golf shorts. I knew it was in the car but just couldn't find it!

The salesman at the next desk overheard and we got talking about the coins his Grandmother had left him. He took an interest and offered to help.

Well, in about 10 minutes he came back with the coin! He looked in an area I had overlooked (the drivers seat mechanism in a MB CL65 is complex) and found it in a guide rail - barely showing, the metal blending in.

Has a few new grease stains that will eventually wear off - was thrilled to get it back. :+1:

Nice pocket piece! And the MB CL65 is an amazing car too!

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

NO WAY!!!!!!!!! Whats the odd that would be????????

Glad it turned up unexpectedly ...... surprisingly AMAZING :)

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

This should serve as a reminder to all to check your couches/chairs before throwing them out. Never know what change/$ may have slipped under those cushions.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations! I'm glad it worked out.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mustangmanbob said:
    I play / deal with 1965 - 1968 Ford Mustangs, and have owned over 300, many of which I scrapped. I am amazed what is left in plain view or hidden or lost and forgotten. I have found 2 9mm pistols (separate cars) 2 shot guns, illegal drugs in about 15% of the cars, tons of coins, etc.

One car had 2 $100 bills rolled tightly like coke straws (in a car I paid $200 for). One car had lots of coins and cash, including $20's laying in the console area when I test drove it, and were still there when I picked it up. The owner said it was not worth his time to clean it out. Another car had many hundreds of dollars of Neiman Marcus perfumes hidden in it. Since the cars are old, and some have sat since the late 1960's, there is a fair amount of silver coins.

That does not count all the tools, fluids, chains, clothes, books, etc.

For a long time, I had a neighbor who was a police officer with a drug dog, and he would come over and "scan" any new car I picked up, and took away the "bad" stuff.

Bob, I’m looking for 69 or 70 Mach1. Keep me in mind. I’m in California

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file