Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The LordM "No Tools" slab crackout technique. Simple. Primitive. Effective. Safe.

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 19, 2019 1:31AM in U.S. Coin Forum

My crackout technique is ridiculously primitive, but effective, and safe enough for coin and person alike if done with reasonable common-sense precaution.

No plastic shrapnel in the eyes.

No hammering.

No ... tools.

(*German shepherd and housecoat optional. Shoes highly recommended.)

Sure, if you have a vise and workbench and all that good stuff, more power to you. But I came up with this quickie technique on the fly, when I needed a fast crackout during one of the FUN shows and had no tools handy.

And I've used it ever since, on the rare occasions I do any crackouts.

This can be modified somewhat to use a heavy door in a metal doorframe instead, if you don't have any porch boards with a wide enough gap handy.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Housecoat? I'm looking for your smoking jacket :D Do you mean housecat?

Nice method! I can see where it could lead to a lost coin under the deck, but assuming that doesn't happen.....I like it!

• Options
    edited June 18, 2019 11:30PM

@thisistheshow said:

Nice method! I can see where it could lead to a lost coin under the deck, but assuming that doesn't happen.....I like it!

Plenty of housecats, too. They just didn't make it into the scene.

Yes, fall-through is something to watch out for- I had it happen once. But mostly the porch board gaps I use are just wide enough to accomodate the slab, and no wider. And since you're pushing it sideways rather than down, it will usually not fall through the gaps.

Actually, the one fall-through I had was just a careless drop when I picked the coin up, not from going through the gap. I fumbled and dropped it and it fell between the steps. No harm done, though it took some rummaging through the leaves under the porch to find the coin, which was still safely ensconced inside half of the broken slab.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2019 1:30AM

This was the first outtake. It was unsuccessful because I did not have the slab far enough down in the gap to provide a proper fulcrum, and I didn't get a clean break. It just popped out of the slot.

I inserted the slab a little deeper into the slot on the second attempt, and got a good crack, which you see above in the OP.

Ideally, you want to have the upper third of the slab (the label part) down in the gap, and crack it right between the label area and the coin area of the slab. Since you're not shattering the plastic that's directly around the coin if you get a good break, it reduces risk.

Once you have broken it around the top label part, you can usually pry the inner insert of the slab (with the coin) right out. Sometimes you have to pop the halves of the remaining plastic outer shell apart, but sometimes you can slide the insert right out of the shell with no additional prying, as seen in the second animated GIF in the OP.

That final removal part of the process is where you do need to exercise a little caution with sharp plastic edges. I did give myself a minor finger puncture once during this stage, by not being careful enough around the jagged plastic. But with minimal caution there, you'll be OK.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great looking technique. Thanks for sharing it @lordmarcovan!

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting, I may try something like that, thanks for sharing !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    batumibatumi Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:

A thick rubber band around the slab would keep it from falling through and ensure the point one wishes to break it. I habe use a similar method. but use my hand. Crude, but effective.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting technique. I'm curious. Why did you crack out that ancient Roman Republic coin? Looks like a nice coin.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 19, 2019 2:56AM

I would be concerned that I would generate a really sharp shard of plastic one day that would pierce the shoe and my foot.

• Options
    CRH4LIFECRH4LIFE Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭

I just wrap a rag around my slab and have it vertical in a vice and give it a wham 🤷🏼‍♂️ But then again I have tools and have only done this with a few coins. Don’t bash me 🤣

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wanna see you do that with a SEGS holder! :p

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

LordM. Good to see you!

• Options
    AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't have a porch. :s

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AlexinPA said:

See my video above if you have no porch :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston said:

@AlexinPA said:

Really a good video lesson, thanks. Never thought of that way.

• Options
    edited June 19, 2019 8:43AM

@PerryHall said:
    Interesting technique. I'm curious. Why did you crack out that ancient Roman Republic coin? Looks like a nice coin.

It IS a nice coin.

But the NGC slab was suffering from that awful "trapped gas" bloat problem. Several of my NGC slabs swelled up as if they were dead dogs on the side of the road for two weeks in summertime. Looked like they were about to explode. Totally unstackable, even. So that one would have had to be replaced. IF I were replacing them, which I've decided not to.

I have instead decided to bow to the traditionalist majority and go back to keeping my ancients raw. You see, ancient coin collectors hates 'em some slabs, maybe even worse than EAC people do! I mean, seriously. Take a closer look at the design on that fella's shirt!

@amwldcoin said:
    I wanna see you do that with a SEGS holder! :p

Nooo! Been there, tried that! SEGS is kryptonite! Say what you will about their grading, but I always liked their capsules. That hard-rubbery plastic of theirs is tuff stuff, too. I've cracked SEGS slabs, but it ain't easy!

• Options

@1630Boston said:
    I'm sorry, but I need to post this again here in case LordM doesn't have a deck available.
    @lordmarcovan

https://youtu.be/10w3R6Go0zM

Brilliant. :D

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AlexinPA said:

How about a Ferrari?

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That looks like an excellent method.... have not tried that system... I have done hammer, vise, dikes, and band saw... Now I must try porch/foot..... :D Cheers, RickO

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whatever works LordM! B)

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

Knowing my luck, the slab would likely slip just as I'm transferring my weight onto it.... resulting in a bent coin!! ..." if it wasn't for bad luck..."

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

impressive and great looking fingers coin. :o

• Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

That looks like an excellent method.... have not tried that system... I have done hammer, vise, dikes, and band saw... Now I must try porch/foot....

I use Dremel with cutting bit. I keep the slab and insert (which look great after coin is removed) as proof the the coin graded whatever the label says by TPG.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

cool coin

• Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did you just put a big gouge into your wood deck?

• Options
    ilmcoinsilmcoins Posts: 525 ✭✭✭✭

My luck the slab would fall all the way through the crack! haha

• Options
    IndulgerIndulger Posts: 139 ✭✭✭

Nice! Usually those pop open for me as soon as I look at them funny.......with a hammer!

• Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭✭

This porch method frightens me for three reasons:

1. A plastic shard could dislodge and scratch the coin
    2. The coin might slide out and get bent by some heavy shoe action
    3. The coin might drop out of the cracked holder and fall into the gravel underneath your deck never to be seen again until some guy is medal detecting in the year 2336 and is shocked to find an ancient Roman coin in the southern US.

If I'm cracking out an NGC slab, I'd recommend hammering the edges with a rubber mallet until it cracks and then calmly opening it like a clam shell.

You're welcome.

• Options

@CoinRaritiesOnline said:
    This porch method frightens me for three reasons:

1. A plastic shard could dislodge and scratch the coin
    2. The coin might slide out and get bent by some heavy shoe action
    3. The coin might drop out of the cracked holder and fall into the gravel underneath your deck never to be seen again until some guy is medal detecting in the year 2336 and is shocked to find an ancient Roman coin in the southern US.

If I'm cracking out an NGC slab, I'd recommend hammering the edges with a rubber mallet until it cracks and then calmly opening it like a clam shell.

You're welcome.

1) Highly unlikely. Ever tried to scratch a metal coin with a piece of acrylic? Sure, it could probably be done if you picked the shard up and furiously scribbled at the coin with it. One (unlikely), casual hit? Not likely to happen, and not likely to do much if it did. I will grant that it isn't totally impossible. Just not very likely.
    2) Also unlikely, especially with a thick-flan ancient coin, unless the metal were crystallized or something.
    3) OK, not totally impossible. No gravel under my deck, though. And my coastal town will likely be underwater well before 2336.
    4) As mentioned, this is a quick method for when there are no tools handy, including rubber mallets and such. Like I said in the OP, if you have a vise and a workbench and all that good stuff, more power to you.
    5) Is "medal detecting" the hunt for medals? If so, I've been there, done that. ;)

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 20, 2019 11:20AM

I remember seeing coin dealer Bill Nagle back in 1988 crack open slabs by slamming them on the hard bourse floor behind his cases. Can't recall if he let go of them or held them through the process. It was impressive. I use a hammer and tap methodically around the edges. Not a fan of splinters than can eventually scratch the coin. It only needs to happen once a $3,000 gem UNC seated half. Haven't cracked a coin in over 10 yrs.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston said:

@AlexinPA said:

go visit the neighbor with a six pack ;)

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

With my luck the coin would fall underneath the porch and get lost.

Interesting technique.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston said:
    I'm sorry, but I need to post this again here in case LordM doesn't have a deck available.
    @lordmarcovan

https://youtu.be/10w3R6Go0zM

The hair stands up on the back of my neck just viewing this!!

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do it so seldom that I take my time with a couple of stout pliers. Requires patience but haven't had a scare yet.

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭✭✭

@roadrunner said:
    I remember seeing coin dealer Bill Nagle back in 1988 crack open slabs by slamming them on the hard bourse floor behind his cases. Can't recall if he let go of them or held them through the process. It was impressive. I use a hammer and tap methodically around the edges. Not a fan of splinters than can eventually scratch the coin. It only needs to happen once a $3,000 gem UNC seated half. Haven't cracked a coin in over 10 yrs.

Haven't been to many shows lately, but back in the day I would see a number of young hotshot dealers busting slabs on the bourse floor, usually around quitting time, They made quite a thing of it. I found it offensive somehow.

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lordmarcovan said:
    My crackout technique is ridiculously primitive, but effective, and safe enough for coin and person alike if done with reasonable common-sense precaution.

No hammering.

No ... tools.

Sure, if you have a vise and workbench and all that good stuff, more power to you. But I came up with this quickie technique on the fly, when I needed a fast crackout during one of the FUN shows and had no tools handy.

This can be modified somewhat to use a heavy door in a metal doorframe instead, if you don't have any porch boards with a wide enough gap handy.

If I remember correctly, it was a $20 gold piece you first tried that on. PCI slab?

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options

@ajaan said:

@lordmarcovan said:

No hammering.

No ... tools.

If I remember correctly, it was a $20 gold piece you first tried that on. PCI slab?

You have a superb memory, sir, and were there to witness history in the making. FUN 2006, I believe it was. The one where we Darksiders stayed in that condo (the front steps of which provided the slabcracking fulcrum). Also the time where you and/or @spinaker2000 shot video of my snoring on the couch (my sleep apnea had not yet been diagnosed then).

Yes, it was a 1904 $20 Lib in a PCI green label MS62 holder. I had bought it for around melt at the time (~$400-ish), so when I cracked it and submitted it to PCGS at the show and it came back PCGS MS64, that was a nice little cha-ching. Netted me nearly a grand in the subsequent flipping, as I recall.

Possibly my finest cherrypick to date, at least in terms of monetary dividend.

This one, from a bulk bag of Wheaties that same year, was my second-best.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file