Home U.S. Coin Forum

1964 proof AH half cherrypick bonanza....

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

......... today.

Picked up 5 OGP sets at a local shop today containing 5 AH half dollars, 3 of which are frosted.

:)

Comments

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

Man, that's some luck, don't shops usually check the 1964 sets for accent hair halves?

Collector, occasional seller

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now that’s quite a nice pick @SanctionII

• ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

You SUCK!

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pickup!
    Check the dimes for the pointed nine variety. Often found with the AH halves.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ChrisH821 said:
    Man, that's some luck, don't shops usually check the 1964 sets for accent hair halves?

I would really doubt it.
    I would wager most dealers are unaware of it.

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 18, 2019 10:14PM

Bingo! nice dude. You know, once you take them out of the cello, the frost even looks frostier! Is that even a word?

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pick! Check for the QDR FS-802 for an even bigger score. :)

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, nice, congratulations !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • CRH4LIFECRH4LIFE Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭

@mannie gray said:

@ChrisH821 said:

I would really doubt it.
    I would wager most dealers are unaware of it.

I agree for the most part. At least the 3 LCS here mainly deal in bullion they have a ton of coins wich hardly move. We have but on shop that specializes in Rare coins. The lost Dutchmen and they are AWESOME

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cut out the 5 half dollars.

4 have frost on both sides. 1 of the 4 has milk spots. 2 are very nice and may warrant a Cameo designation.

The last of the 4 has haze on It that needs to be removed. Once the haze is removed it will join the other 2.

The 5th coin is brilliant.

None have doubling.

Some of the minors in the sets are also very nice frosted coins including 4 dimes, 2 nickels and 2 quarters. One of the nickels is a possible DCAM.

• GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

Nice! Love that nickel and Washie.

Still need an AH for my 7070, surprisingly.

How do the reverses look of the first 2 you pictured?

imageimage

GACoinGuy.

The reverses of the first 2 half dollars are similar to the obverses, though the frost on one of the coins is lighter than the obverse frost.

If you are interested in one of these coins send me a PM.

• ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

The quarter and nickel are stellar, honestly both look deeper than any I've found.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

that's a wicked cool pick up, congrats ( beautiful pics to )

• SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations, good going!!!

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ModCrewman said:
    The quarter and nickel are stellar, honestly both look deeper than any I've found.

They look great.
    As we know there are "DCAMs" and then there are true DCAMs.
    No question about those.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just commented on your other thread about ONE AH Kennedy... and now I see this thread - you got FIVE??? Wow... you hit a jackpot....Congratulations... Cheers, RickO

With my pick up of 6 proof 1964 AH half dollars over the past two days my AH collection has doubled.

Always a treat to find a run of notable proof coins.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent... Your AH collection would have made Russ jealous....Cheers, RickO

• mt_mslamt_msla Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭

Tell me about that dcam dime in the Capitol plastics....pics front n back?

Insert witicism here. [ xxx ]

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

there are two Half-Dollars which time is starting to prove are more common, perhaps a lot more common, than originally thought and the 1964 Accented Hair Kennedy Half-Dollar is one of them. the other is the Type 1 1956 Franklin Half-Dollar. it has taken time for the Hobby to search for them more actively but both dates are showing up more frequently as time passes.

of the two, the AH is the more difficult to identify, so its numbers tend to lag.

Keets.

Since returning to the hobby as an adult in 1998 I have looked for 1964 AH halves and 1956 Type 1 halves.

Until I picked up 6 AH halves a few days ago I had found 6 in 20+ years. I lucked out and found a run of 5 in one shop and 1 coin in another shop.

Until I found and picked up a run of 5 1956 Type 1 halves in a shop last fall I had found 3 in 20+ years.

All that I have found have been raw.

You may be correct in opining that these coins are not as scarce as the hobby has thought. However they have not been easy for me to find.

Also, in 20+ years of looking I have found only 1 1961 DDR half dollar (the Big One). That was 7.5 years ago. I was very lucky to find that coin. IMO that coin is really scarce.

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very good topic! My best overall coin of all time is the Morgan Silver Dollar but in moderns, it's by far the Kennedy Half. Such a perfect profile in Mr. Kennedy. All the different aspects of the coin. All the way from 1964 until the present. I love the fact in the vast amount of varieties in the series. Namely, what the topic is, Cameos and the accented Hairs. The Mint had a good thought when they decided to come out with a Gold Kennedy. Rick Tomaska had a great segment about John Kennedy just last night while showing his 35 special coins of the Cameo set, PCGS graded 69 PF's. Talk about someone that loves the Kennedy Cameo. Once again, congrats. on the 64 Cameos, as well as, the Quarter and nickel Cameo's. Love them all. <3

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

though I have no way of knowing for certain, I suspect that the 1961 DDR Franklin is in much smaller numbers(rare) because the die(s) were pulled out of production. the other two, 1956 T.1 Franklin and 1964 AH Kennedy were both normal production runs that were ended for the newer designs. there are probably substantial percentages of the overall mintages that were struck and issued.

I can tell either Variety with a cursory glance with my unaided eyes although it was not always so. most of the Hobby, a very large number, either don't even know about the coins or have trouble identifying them.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file