Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Comments

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

interesting. seems like a useful service.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very glad to see this. Building an image database is key to PSA eventually being able to match submissions to the same card if previously graded to help detect fraud.

• Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭

Sounds like a great service, but now we'll have a new bread of threads questioning if an ebay item really matches the PSA scan.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    SoonerificSoonerific Posts: 68 ✭✭

For now it's only at Super Express level or higher ($2000+ card value), but looks like they plan to filter it down to lower service levels over time. Really glad to see they are doing this.

• Options
    RookieHOFersRookieHOFers Posts: 733 ✭✭✭
    Matt
    I collect: 80’s Rookies and 86 Fleer Basketball
  • Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Soonerific said:
    For now it's only at Super Express level or higher ($2000+ card value), but looks like they plan to filter it down to lower service levels over time. Really glad to see they are doing this.

Yup, it’s a great step! Hopefully not the only one they’ll implement in the wake of the PWCC scandal.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

Super Express, Walk-Through, Premium, Premium Plus and Premium Elite. only
    Bulk players no - no ... :D

• Options
    krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

A step in the right direction for sure. I would hope this makes it to the lower service levels eventually, even if there is an extra charge involved. I think this extra level of security is worth it and needed, but that has to be weighed against the resources required to actually do this in bulk and also the turnaround times. Nobody wants to pay more and also have longer turnaround times. It will be interesting to see where this goes.

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

@krisd3279 you pretty much nailed it. This process is beginning with the higher service levels, with the hope/plan that it will move down the line. We do need to balance this service against turnaround times and some other factors, but we feel this is a step in the right direction and so are moving forward with it.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Soonerific said:

From the article:

"At present, the benefit is available to all customers across five different levels of service including Super Express, Walk-Through, Premium, Premium Plus and Premium Elite."

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the progress they are making in this area. Hopefully they push this to lower levels too.

I would also like to see if they would be able to give any insight on the process they use to image these cards.

• Options
    Kep13Kep13 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

I would think that the only time this would be useful would be for numbered parallel cards? Just thinking out loud, as I wonder how it would be useful for a PSA 9 1973 Mike Schmidt rookie card, for example...if someone were to take one of those cards, and had intentions of "fixing" it up, it would be hard to trace that back to the original PSA 9, no?

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kep13 said:
    I would think that the only time this would be useful would be for numbered parallel cards? Just thinking out loud, as I wonder how it would be useful for a PSA 9 1973 Mike Schmidt rookie card, for example...if someone were to take one of those cards, and had intentions of "fixing" it up, it would be hard to trace that back to the original PSA 9, no?

It's also to prevent people somehow breaking the case and swapping cards though I haven't heard of that being an issue recently. Fake flips and all that, too.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kep13 said:

For us yes - for PSA down the road - probably not. This gives them a database of card scans that software can eventually help them match to previously graded examples. Potential matches can be then checked to see if any are indeed the same card and if any alterations appear to have taken place.

• Options
    60sfan60sfan Posts: 311 ✭✭✭

@DBesse27 said:

@Soonerific said:

Yup, it’s a great step! Hopefully not the only one they’ll implement in the wake of the PWCC scandal.

Using a laser device to measure cards would probably be more accurate than the current measuring method.

• Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's doing "something" to appease. Which is better than nothing. But it's like me throwing a 2 x 4 into the North Fork New River and then proclaiming "I just built a dam".

• Options
    krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

I know everyone wants an instant magical solution but might I refer you to this
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=LZpAYmUpx44

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

• Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭

@Kep13 said:

While matching cards with serial numbers is the easiest way to identify cards with potential issues it is still possible to match non-serial numbered cards, particularly with vintage cards. Frequently there will be identifying marks such as print dots or other marks on a card that can help to photo match before and after pictures. I believe the card that initially led to much of the PWCC saga was a 1952 Topps Mantle, which was obviously not serial numbered.

Steve
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 19, 2019 12:47PM

@krisd3279 said:
    A step in the right direction for sure. I would hope this makes it to the lower service levels eventually, even if there is an extra charge involved. I think this extra level of security is worth it and needed, but that has to be weighed against the resources required to actually do this in bulk and also the turnaround times. Nobody wants to pay more and also have longer turnaround times. It will be interesting to see where this goes.

@krisd3279 said:
    I know everyone wants an instant magical solution but might I refer you to this
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=LZpAYmUpx44

Kris, your takes and contributions to this thread seem too cogent and reasonable. You may need to go back and work yourself up into a lather for hotter takes in order to fit into the message board crowd. ;) Seriously though, thanks for the video. I had not seen that before.

Steve
  • Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

@hyperchipper09 said:
    It's doing "something" to appease. Which is better than nothing. But it's like me throwing a 2 x 4 into the North Fork New River and then proclaiming "I just built a dam".

Do you live in VA or NC? I love riding the north fork of the new river..only river runs north!

• Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HighGradeLegends said:

@hyperchipper09 said:

Do you live in VA or NC? I love riding the north fork of the new river..only river runs north!

Born and spent the first 7 years of my life in West Jefferson / Ashe County. Left in 77. Attended App State for 2 years. Realized, at least in my case, that you can't go home again LOL. That area, Boone, Jefferson, Wilkes, Lansing will always be home and remembered fondly but too much meth and good old boy cronyism up there now for my adult taste :)

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

@hyperchipper09 said:

@HighGradeLegends said:

@hyperchipper09 said:

Born and spent the first 7 years of my life in West Jefferson / Ashe County. Left in 77. Attended App State for 2 years. Realized, at least in my case, that you can't go home again LOL. That area, Boone, Jefferson, Wilkes, Lansing will always be home and remembered fondly but too much meth and good old boy cronyism up there now for my adult taste :)

Ha! I own property just below mile marker 265 on the BRP. Will shoot a PM to ya