Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Random Thought on Dealer Inventory and CAC

FranklinHalfAddictFranklinHalfAddict Posts: 651 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 18, 2019 9:50AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Was at a show this past weekend and stopped at an older dealer’s table. Dealer was probably in his late 70s, if I had to guess. 90% of his inventory at the show was slabbed and I noticed not a one of those slabs had a CAC sticker.

Later on in the day I was thinking about the lack of CAC. Does this dealer not buy anything that is CACed? Does he peel off the stickers? Does he not send any of his inventory to CAC? Is it safe to assume most of his inventory has not been to CAC?

Has anyone else ever noticed a dealer who’s inventory was devoid of CAC stickers and thought any of those same questions?

I did end up buying a really nice Norfolk commem from him, MS65 in an OGH.

Comments

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would have ask him.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

I doubt that CAC labels are being removed from coins...I have been wrong before.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like CAC and it does make a difference in coins that count, but I often do not send that much into CAC, not because of the cost, but cost of postage and time. Lots of ebay stuff I sell I don't send into them , but I probably should.
    I know of a couple of dealers who send everything into cac first, before they offer it.

So basically what I am saying, a lot of my ebay inventory is not cac, not because its been tried, but just don't bother sending it. But if I am asked if it has, I am alwys up front about wether it has or hasn't if I know.

• Options

@PerryHall said:
    Perhaps he knows how to grade coins.

Perhaps he’s missing the pinky toe on his right foot.

• Options

@grip said:
    I would have ask him.

I will have to when I see him again.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps he's an old-timer who doesn't see the value in it, or he doesn't want his inventory tied up for 2 weeks. The world may never know.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,618 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 18, 2019 11:23AM

He has no use for CAC nor wants the expense paying sticker cost. Unless big increase in bid value between CAC and non CAC no incentive. I would think he knows how to grade.

It seems like CAC a big deal here but not at shows. I have a show this weekend will take a look - none of the dealers setup around me do CAC or even care about it - I have a few CAC. People at shows will ask price but won’t pay the money. A couple really CAC PQ pieces moved online.

Now where you have a coin where the spread to the CAC bid is high there could be incentive but then u gotta find the guy pay CAC money.

At last show major dealer had big display Pcgs 63-65 genetic dollars close to bid. Probably some rolls walked in the shop. Would be waste of money try sticker that material. Then u have get more for them.

Now somebody just selling ) $10,000 coins and above to rich people can c incentive get CAC if material uptick in bid value. People w that kinda money here looking for gold coins close to melt - NGC69 AGB, Pcgs 64 Saint close to melt, Mexico 50 Oeso.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options

@Justacommeman said:
    I see both on the bourse. No CAC or all CAC. I can tell who who’s coins generally look a lot better

m

I don’t attend enough shows to have ever noticed. I just happened to this time.

• Options
    edited June 18, 2019 11:45AM

I doubt many of them walking in door even know what CAC is nor can afford. I am really curious now will try see if CAC Coins at the show. Houston not the money gravity well like LA. Most likely US coins will have some. Mainly in past there buy and sell w public or pickup bullion coins. Show goal: acquire a nice CAC coin.

Nope no Pcgs grading contest but submissions of crack outs a couple upgrade no downgrade.

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I was a coin dealer everything in my inventory priced higher then $500 would make a trip to CAC.

• Options
    GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some random comments to your OP that hopefully are helpful

1) I would be interested in seeing this dealer's inventory, his pricing and his turnover. He may focus on selling coins for "bargain prices" and therefore has a lot of "C" coins or overgraded coins. That would explain his complete lack of CAC. Trade off of price vs. quality.

2) It may be that CAC is not a factor in the types of coins he sells and he doesn't bother. If a dealer for instance sells any type of gold, he would be crazy not to try a get CAC on his coins because they could increase the value by as much as 300%. Other coins the CAC sticker does not move the price as much (by the way, this would seem to be an opportunity to find coins in this series and get them stickered and not pay a premium---one day they may have a premium).

3) One comment was "some of us don't need to have our hand held" buying a coin. Well this dealer is selling to people who may need help so I am not sure the point. In recent interviews, JA and others have pointed out the tiny number of dealers and collectors who can grade between a 63, 63+ and 64-so more people need help then maybe they realize. I also can't understand why seeking out another set of eyes is frowned upon? I frequently contact a dealer friend to give his opinion on a coin or take into consideration what a TPG has graded a coin----why not utilize an expert like JA to give his opinion? At the end of the day, I will still decide on whether to buy a coin or not based upon what I see but having the help of a dealer, TPGs and CAC seems to be prudent.

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 18, 2019 11:45AM

@Justacommeman said:
    Ever try a PCGS grading contest? It’s humbling

No way I could do it unless it's all saints between 63-67.
    But if it was.....I'd put my money where my mouth is. B)

• Options
    edited June 18, 2019 12:04PM

I believe no 1 likely in many inventories for others who do mods, raw bullion, currency, world a moot issue. Possibly high end coins picked off. One can go to same well so many times.

But if the guy has really nice stuff where sticker big uptick in bid values........

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm guessing since the dealer already paid for a professional grading opinion with the slab he's probably thinking now why on earth would I pay someone else to tell me what the experts already did?

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options

@Justacommeman said:
    I’m not afraid to seek help or have my hand held on a coin purchase.

Would you let a Walker proof go by that was nice looking and didn't have a sticker?

If I was doing a type set, I'd be very interested in what JA has to say about the coin.
    But I'm not.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

hand-holding at the point of purchase is fine and hopefully it doesn't lead to long, hot showers!! :p

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 18, 2019 12:42PM

@ReadyFireAim said:

@Justacommeman said:
    I’m not afraid to seek help or have my hand held on a coin purchase.

Would you let a Walker proof go by that was nice looking and didn't have a sticker?

If I was doing a type set, I'd be very interested in what JA has to say about the coin.
    But I'm not.

My proof set used to be #2. The easiest coin (1942) I “only” have a 67 that cost more then almost all 68s. I chose it because it’s awesome. Not worried about points. It’s also my only coin that’s not stickered. Actually Mark Feld represented me in auction on that coin . I know why John didn't sticker the coin. He was right. I still have the coin. It will remain in the set until something better comes along.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am surprised how biased many of the members are here towards CAC. To me it is just another erosion of my bottom line if I am going to have to have my inventory CAC'd. It would cost me close to $30,000 to have my Barber Half inventory CAC'd not including the shipping and insurance! I do have a few CAC ones in inventory and see absolutely no difference in my prices realized.

I just bought a better date on ebay that was CAC'd for less than 1/2 what I have sold two other non CAC's examples for in the past. I was absolutely floored I won the coin so cheap and I'm sure the seller was also! I'm glad he doesn't shill!

Now granted the majority of my inventory is in the $200-$1000 range. I could see it on 5 figure coins. I will say the majority of mid grade Barber Half collectors don't need CAC to tell them if their coin is nice for the grade or not. I have had a couple of people ask me on ebay why my coins aren't CAC'd and my reply is along these lines.

It's amazing to me....raw used to be OK, now Certified is expected, and the new wave is CAC now? And the funniest part is these types that want certified CAC stuff always whip out a greysheet and expect you to sell to them at those levels!

• Options
    edited June 18, 2019 1:06PM

I passed by both of my CAC coins because I didn't want to pay the premium.
    After finding nothing better I doubled back and checked them out.
    The only reason I bought them is because they were no-brainer crossovers & + upgrades.
    (which they did)

They don't have stickers now because I never bothered to send them back.

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oih82w8 said:
    I doubt that CAC labels are being removed from coins...I have been wrong before.

That's kinda dumb IMO. One may not like them, but if they're on the slab why shoot yourself in the foot and leave money on the table by removing them?

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FranklinHalfAddict said:
    Was at a show this past weekend and stopped at an older dealer’s table. Dealer was probably in his late 70s, if I had to guess. 90% of his inventory at the show was slabbed and I noticed not a one of those slabs had a CAC sticker.

Later on in the day I was thinking about the lack of CAC. Does this dealer not buy anything that is CACed? Does he peel off the stickers? Does he not send any of his inventory to CAC? Is it safe to assume most of his inventory has not been to CAC?

Has anyone else ever noticed a dealer who’s inventory was devoid of CAC stickers and thought any of those same questions?

I did end up buying a really nice Norfolk commem from him, MS65 in an OGH.

Sounds like an old schooler who is behind the times. Unless they are priced high, he's settin himself up to be cherry picked. There's probly still a few out there who know only raw coins.

• Options
    edited June 18, 2019 2:43PM

I don’t think people will be spending money to CAC generic dollars in 63 or 64, let alone much below $300 MV. Will they pay 50-70 pct premium bc of sticker? Not me.

I do Currency, Mods and world so CAC not a biggie for me. How much longer do you think they will be around?

From what seen If they want CAC will have to pay the money. Yes pull out your GS / have some CAC you want sell me at 80 pct CDN bid? Better hurry summer doldrums coming. The bids could decline further.

The old schooler probably knows how to tell A and B coins plus price them - A CDN bid plus50 pct, B CDN plus 30 pct, C CDN plus 10 pct. No he does not need sticker or the expense. Bill my mentor who I k ew from coin club starting out setting up at shows in 1990 shares your view on the CAC thingy. He is among the best in professionalism, knowledge, business sense.

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

JA has said himself that there's lots of stuff that the spread isn't wide enough to matter. Maybe the dealer in the OP's case only sells that kind of stuff. OP mentioned a commem, I don't think CAC has helped much in that space, or (OMG) maybe it has.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options

@BillJones said:

When a doctor gives you a serous diagnosis do you get a second opinion? I do.

The trouble is there is only one doctor in town, and his advice has too often been inconsistent and disappointing. When his followers describe him as “the greatest doctor ever,” and you are told that you are going to die if you don’t purchase his medicine, the time has come to move out of town where there are other doctors. Those towns include tokens, medals and foreign coins.

I'm done with this conversation because it can only turn toxic from here. This is my view, and I have thought long and hard about it. When a hobby ceases to be fun you get out of it or you make changes.

Hyperbole.

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2019 4:02PM

I can’t blame someone spending money CAC where the spread justifies it. ID the items /grade in your area w big spread there’s your wantlist acquire stuff 2 CAC.

Book Idea - 100 (hopefully affordable) Coins one Should CAC.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 18, 2019 5:28PM

Can't say I've seen any dealers with zero CAC-ed coins. Most I visit seem to have maybe 5% stickered.

I noticed several dealers at the most recent Long Beach show that had 100% CAC-ed coins. Some are clearly buying into it Big Time. Fancy!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2019 6:54PM

@Dave99B said:
    Can't say I've seen any dealers with zero CAC-ed coins. Most I visit seem to have maybe 5% stickered.

I noticed several dealers at the most recent Long Beach show that had 100% CAC-ed coins. Some are clearly buying into it Big Time. Fancy!

Dave

I noticed besides Legend, Mike’s Coin Chest offers also offers PCGS CAC coins only. His inventory had always been impressive.

m

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    I noticed besides Legend, Mike’s Closet offers also offers PCGS CAC coins only. His inventory had always been impressive.

It sounds like a clothing store. Link?

• Options

@cameonut2011 said:

@Justacommeman said:
    I noticed besides Legend, Mike’s Closet offers also offers PCGS CAC coins only. His inventory had always been impressive.

It sounds like a clothing store. Link?

Yeah I meant Mike’s Coin Chest. Not sure why I typed that

m

• Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't wait until other services like CAC arise. With enough time, coin holders will look like a general's chest with all his military medals. No coin will be adequate unless it has all 42 beans, stickers and stamps of approvals of all the respectable and honorable grading "authorities". :)

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinkat - If the coin is no longer the focal point, the hobby has entered a new realm.

Very well said. I think we’re there. :(

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file