Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Don't you just love USPS?

kbbpllkbbpll Posts: 542 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 18, 2019 8:46AM in U.S. Coin Forum

You see the "In Transit to Next Facility" update, hold your breath because the next "Arrived at USPS Regional Facility" will be Denver, and from there, a short trip to your mailbox, and then...

Doh. It went to freakin' Maine instead. Hope you're having a nice 5000 mile trip, little coin!

Monday, Jun 17, 2019 11:07 PM SOUTHERN ME DISTRIBUTION CENTER Departed USPS Regional Facility
Monday, Jun 17, 2019 11:07 PM SCARBOROUGH PROCESSED THROUGH USPS FACILITY
Monday, Jun 17, 2019 10:46 PM SCARBOROUGH PROCESSED THROUGH USPS FACILITY
Monday, Jun 17, 2019 8:43 PM SOUTHERN ME DISTRIBUTION CENTER Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
Monday, Jun 17, 2019 8:43 PM SCARBOROUGH PROCESSED THROUGH USPS FACILITY
Monday, Jun 17, 2019 12:00 AM N/A In Transit to Next Facility
Sunday, Jun 16, 2019 10:21 PM EASTERN ME DISTRIBUTION CENTER Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
Thursday, Jun 13, 2019 11:35 PM PORTLAND , OR Departed USPS Origin Facility
Thursday, Jun 13, 2019 10:52 PM PORTLAND , OR Arrived at USPS Origin Facility
Thursday, Jun 13, 2019 9:37 PM

Comments

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

package was mis-sent, a postal employee threw it in the wrong bag. it happens to me a few times a year, a day or 2 late, but it will get there

• Options
    IndulgerIndulger Posts: 139 ✭✭✭

No, I don’t

• Options
    maplemanmapleman Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

@kbbpll said:
    You see the "In Transit to Next Facility" update, hold your breath because the next "Arrived at USPS Regional Facility" will be Denver, and from there, a short trip to your mailbox, and then...

Doh. It went to freakin' Maine instead. Hope you're having a nice 5000 mile trip, little coin!

Monday, Jun 17, 2019 11:07 PM SOUTHERN ME DISTRIBUTION CENTER Departed USPS Regional Facility
    Monday, Jun 17, 2019 11:07 PM SCARBOROUGH PROCESSED THROUGH USPS FACILITY
    Monday, Jun 17, 2019 10:46 PM SCARBOROUGH PROCESSED THROUGH USPS FACILITY
    Monday, Jun 17, 2019 8:43 PM SOUTHERN ME DISTRIBUTION CENTER Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
    Monday, Jun 17, 2019 8:43 PM SCARBOROUGH PROCESSED THROUGH USPS FACILITY
    Monday, Jun 17, 2019 12:00 AM N/A In Transit to Next Facility
    Sunday, Jun 16, 2019 10:21 PM EASTERN ME DISTRIBUTION CENTER Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
    Thursday, Jun 13, 2019 11:35 PM PORTLAND , OR Departed USPS Origin Facility
    Thursday, Jun 13, 2019 10:52 PM PORTLAND , OR Arrived at USPS Origin Facility
    Thursday, Jun 13, 2019 9:37 PM

Beats ups IMO

• Options

They do a good job, and the coin will arrive. I just think it's funny, that's all. Getting both Portlands in on this trip.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 18, 2019 9:14AM

USPS sure beats driving across the country to go pick it up yourself. Far from perfect though.

• Options
    ffcoinsffcoins Posts: 517 ✭✭✭

Live in another country for a few years and yes, you’ll love USPS. Even when they tantalize you.

• Options
    NorCalJackNorCalJack Posts: 516 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well they do handle millions of packages a day. I am amazed that something like this does not happen more often.

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Several years ago I sent a package media mail to get some books signed, by a famous numismatist.

Usually it takes about a week or less to get there.

Long story short, I gave up after a month, and about 18 months later I received an e-mail saying that my books had arrived.
    I had no idea, since I had not sent any.
    Then I finally remembered about my 'missing' package.

They were signed, and I got them back in about 5 days.

[sighs aloud]

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Treashunt said:
    Several years ago I sent a package media mail to get some books signed, by a famous numismatist.

Usually it takes about a week or less to get there.

Long story short, I gave up after a month, and about 18 months later I received an e-mail saying that my books had arrived.
    I had no idea, since I had not sent any.
    Then I finally remembered about my 'missing' package.

They were signed, and I got them back in about 5 days.

[sighs aloud]

at least it didn't take 18 months to get back id be pissed at that one

• Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Indulger said:
    No, I don’t

This.

USPS is terrible.

Have been for the last 50 years.

Getting worse...

• Options
    IndulgerIndulger Posts: 139 ✭✭✭

@hammer1 said:

@Indulger said:
    No, I don’t

This.

USPS is terrible.

Getting worse...

Agreed...but like others have said: what choice do we have?

I bought some coins once and they traveled back and fourth coast to coast 4 or 5 times before disappearing into the USPS black hole. I sent some gold once that ended up in a sorting machine geartrain....usps insurance covered that but....man! Ouch!

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh boy, bad news again. I still give them a thumbs up !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

“Don't you just love USPS?“

“Love” is too strong a word. I do prefer them to other flavors of package mailing and delivery. And USPS international does pretty good, too.

So I do like them. At least they have not gone completely DIM weight. :o

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,698 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love-hate relationship, here. Lots of potential stymied by being a union, quasi-government agency.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have found that USPS delivery has improved a great deal over the past year. Most packages arrive earlier than expected, not later.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

I have to give them credit for turning it back around this direction in a hurry. Currently says "out for delivery" from my local post office. Woohoo! Two days late I can handle.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have had really great success with USPS.... sure, a couple hiccups here and there.... and one package (delivery to me) lost forever... but I have no idea what it was, so do not miss it. Having lived in three other countries though, I can tell you, our mail system is great overall. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

On a zero to ten scale, I give them a 9.4.......
    Have I ever lost anything, of course. Have I shipped thousands upon thousands of packages, absolutely !

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭✭

Portland ME, Portland OR what's the diff? Better seafood/better beer?

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillDugan1959 said:
    This last week, I had a late in the day Wed 12 June package coming from SoCal to east Flyover Country. Two decent five dollar gold pieces. Due here Monday 17 June.

The Los Angeles Post Office sent it to New England. MA, then to NH.

It still arrived here before noon on Mon 17 June.

I am very highly enamored of the USPS!!! Some of the best people around!!!

You better thank FedEx, they're the ones that transported your package on 98% of its destination.

NOT USPS.

• Options
    TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 19, 2019 2:45PM

I had my bullion stolen from a part time USPS worker. But no one seems to care. Package marked delivered with satellite tracking confirmed. Wife and I were home that day when the mail-person rang the bell. My wife signed for two other packages not included the one that was missing.

I checked online for the missing package 15 minutes after delivery. And it was marked as left in the mail box. I searched around then went to the postal office to track that mailwoman down just to find out she had left for the day and she would be on vacation for two weeks.

I filed a complaint through usps inspector and reported it to the shipper. Since the package was marked delivered with GPS . Both parties said my wife must had misplaced or stolen by the neighbor, so no reimbursement.

• Options

@BStrauss3 said:

Ah, that explains the smell.
    All good, got the coin. Hope everyone realizes that my original intent here was humorous. You know, like watching Santa Claus fly over your house.

• Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭

@hammer1 said:

@Indulger said:
    No, I don’t

This.

USPS is terrible.

Getting worse...

After cutting workers for years to pay for USPS worker gold pensions...lol... they now have a shortage of workers ..particularly carriers

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I do love them.
    Give it a shot sometime. Start a competing biz and report back.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    I got one of those now.

Thing is, they always arrive, perhaps just not on time.

I do love the USPS

Ummmm........not "always."
    I think the USPS does a good job for the most part, but the packages sometimes just vanish with no explanation.
    This has happened to me twice within just the last two months.
    Of course, the logical and patient eBay buyers (who see the same tracking information as I do --- yo-yo yo-yo boomerang loop and then mysteriously vanishing into a black hole) are very understanding. 🙄
    I filled out the required form to search for lost mail and after 30 days get the canned "we do the best job we can but we were unable to find your package...yada yada...thank you for your business....we strive to bla bla bla." --I can't recall the exact wording. But essentially a middle finger and a condescending smile.

I guess it boils down to what Mr. Bill Clinton said : "It depends on what the definition of 'always' is, because 'always' always means 'always'...
    except when it means 'the vast majority of the time.'"

When you've sent thousands and thousands of packages, see if you still say 'always'.☺️

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭✭

@kbbpll said:

@BStrauss3 said:

Ah, that explains the smell.
    All good, got the coin. Hope everyone realizes that my original intent here was humorous. You know, like watching Santa Claus fly over your house.

I was serious... a craft beer and a lobster roll vs. a craft beer and a bay shrimp remoulade salad... that's a tough choice. So if somebody will pay the travel, I'd be HAPPY to go enquire @ the PO. Whichever PO it is....

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@hammer1 said:

@BillDugan1959 said:
    This last week, I had a late in the day Wed 12 June package coming from SoCal to east Flyover Country. Two decent five dollar gold pieces. Due here Monday 17 June.

The Los Angeles Post Office sent it to New England. MA, then to NH.

It still arrived here before noon on Mon 17 June.

I am very highly enamored of the USPS!!! Some of the best people around!!!

You better thank FedEx, they're the ones that transported your package on 98% of its destination.

NOT USPS.

No evidence on the computer or on the package that Fed Ex had Jack to do with it. I've had many packages from that source, never any sign that Fed Ex had Jack to do with it.

With Fed Ex, packages sit for exactly two days at each airport hub. Fed Ex can't deliver a package in only four days.

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm constantly impressed that USPS can ship things across the country for a few bucks. My friends can't even get me to drive across town for that.

I've never lost anything with USPS after sending and receiving hundreds of items. There have been some close calls, but nothing yet.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 20, 2019 11:37AM

I'm sorry but that was funny....

I feel your pain and it is very unnecessary.

AND it creates extra opportunity for damage and theft.

I hope you get it soon.

Fed Ex overnight is my personal choice, when it really matters.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

My bills never get lost. Always arrive on time.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    ilmcoinsilmcoins Posts: 525 ✭✭✭✭

I have shipped thousands of packages and never had an issue that could not be resolved. Love is a strong word for a paid service, but, I really really like them and use them solely!!

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yup, I've had a few packages zigzag their merry way around the continental US before finally arriving at my house. Annoying to be sure, especially with the full zip code and bar codes. Go figure. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ffcoins said:
    Live in another country for a few years and yes, you’ll love USPS. Even when they tantalize you.

I had a ~$20 CD arrive from Hungary today. It was shipped Registered. Don't want to think about what that says about the Hungarian postal service.

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

USPS will deliver quickly, but your coin may arrive sitting amidst shards of shattered plastic.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Must be lucky nothing lost a few cracked slabs some late shipping but learning how to judge your seller on eBay is tough not just eBay. Talking to your seller is important from there trial and error sorry to hear about trouble with lost shipping What has been said about living in another country 2 or 3rd world and postal service is true. 🙀jzyskowski

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 21, 2019 9:21PM

@BillDugan1959 said:
    No evidence on the computer or on the package that Fed Ex had Jack to do with it. I've had many packages from that source, never any sign that Fed Ex had Jack to do with it.

With Fed Ex, packages sit for exactly two days at each airport hub. Fed Ex can't deliver a package in only four days.

Um, the tracking won't say that the package was on a FedEx plane. Here's a quick link I found about the FedEx having a contract to carry mail on their planes: http://postalnews.com/postalnewsblog/2013/04/23/fedex-new-7-year-contract-with-usps-worth-10-5-billion/. So whether it was Jack or Jill involved I don't know, but FedEx often is.

And if delays at airport hubs are causing deliveries to take 4+ days, then the shipper can file for a refund on the shipping cost. As long as it isn't weather related, FedEx will pay out as their slowest domestic air service is 3 days. As someone who ships a lot of FedEx Express, I rarely am able to file for a service guarantee refund, but can on occasion.

Edit: I should note that the postal service doesn't actually own any planes. All letters/packages sent via air are contracted out to FedEx, UPS, passenger aircraft, etc. And obviously the tracking does say that it went on a Delta flight or whatever.

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Indulger said:

Agreed...but like others have said: what choice do we have?

We do have choices. I prefer the USPS, partly because exasperating experiences are rare for me (they do happen) and partly because the local PO staff is awesome - people I would be proud to have working for me. I consider it a small miracle that I can send $30,000 worth of coins across the country and they always have arrived safely and usually timely.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file