what does mean when i coin come back from pcgs as altered surface

lonn47lonn47 Posts: 236 ✭✭✭

altered surface coin

Comments

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lonn47

Altered Surfaces
    Adding anything to the surface of the coin to either "improve" its appearance or to cover marks. Surface alteration methods include adding dental wax, putty, lacquer, nose grease, etc. "Thumbing" is the application of a putty-like material to fill in marks, scratches, and other defects or to haze over portions of the coin. Coatings (such as lacquer), while intended to protect coins, result in a No Grade because it is impossible to determine the quality of the underlying surfaces.

https://www.pcgs.com/grades#grade94

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&t=2m25s&v=nzpruoHc3g4

• Options

thanks hemispherical.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lonn47 said:
    thanks hemispherical.

Your welcome. Please post a pic of the coin/slab.

• Options

cant upload now. but soon

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Altered surfaces can also mean 'metal movement', to change a date or add a mint mark for example.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Altered surfaces can also mean 'metal movement', to change a date or add a mint mark for example.... Cheers, RickO

I think they call that "tooling".

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall .... Correct terminology... though I have seen tooling (when only done to firm up details) referred to as altered surfaces.... Thanks for pointing that out though.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 18, 2019 9:41AM

@ricko said:

Actually @ricko you are half correct. Sure, altered surface can refer to anything UNNATURAL that is done to a coin by the hand of man but a naturally corroded coin also has an "altered surface." Generally, natural occurring alterations have been given names such as toning and corrosion. PMD, cleaning, and scratches which also alter the surface have specific names to describe them also.

EDIT: I forgot to add that changing the design on a coin (date, mint, etc.) is an "Alteration."

Bottom line: As @Hemispherical posted, when a TPGS uses A/S it usually refers to adding anything to the surface of the coin to improve its appearance or hide something.

Altered Surfaces:
    Adding anything to the surface of the coin to either "improve" its appearance or to cover marks. Surface alteration methods include adding dental wax, putty, lacquer, nose grease, etc. "Thumbing" is the application of a putty-like material to fill in marks, scratches, and other defects or to haze over portions of the coin Coatings (such as lacquer), while intended to protect coins, result in a No Grade because it is impossible to determine the quality of the underlying surfaces.

https://www.pcgs.com/grades#grade94

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&t=2m25s&v=nzpruoHc3g4

This is NOT CORRECT: "Thumbing" is the application of a putty-like material to fill in marks, scratches, and other defects or to haze over portions of the coin.

Actually it is the application of skin oils ONLY!

• Options
    IndulgerIndulger Posts: 139 ✭✭✭

Good to know..

• Options

thank you indulger.

• Options

Thank you indulger.

• Options

thank you insder2.

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

IT MEME YOU GOT CAUGHT

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

To me, "Altered Surface" is the most unspecific of all body bag terms. The few times I have received such rejections the coins were either immediately resubmitted as is, or given a quickie dip then resubmitted. All have come back in problem-free holders.

When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

"what does mean when i coin come back from pcgs as altered surface"

It means that you shouldn't have bought it.

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

@DennisH said:
    To me, "Altered Surface" is the most unspecific of all body bag terms. The few times I have received such rejections the coins were either immediately resubmitted as is, or given a quickie dip then resubmitted. All have come back in problem-free holders.

That's because a proper dip will remove many of the substances applied to a coin to alter its surface.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Treashunt said:
    "what does mean when i coin come back from pcgs as altered surface"

It means that you shouldn't have bought it.

Disagree....somewhat. It means you should not have submitted it. There are very rare coins that are saleable with altered surfaces.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file