Home U.S. Coin Forum

1877 S Trade Dollar

CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,809 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm pretty sure this coin has been cleaned??? If so, then what is a fair asking price? I paid 35.00 at a pawn shop but, looking to sell,

Thanks!

Best Answer

Answers

• CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,809 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hemispherical . Fair enough, do I list as possibly cleaned or just leave it open for the bidders to decide? I just started on Ebay and don't want a bad rap.

• CRH4LIFECRH4LIFE Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭

They should be able to tell. But I would list it as “Cleaned”.

@CRH4LIFE .. Allright Thanks, its pretty obvious huh?

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinscratchFever said:
    @Hemispherical . Fair enough, do I list as possibly cleaned or just leave it open for the bidders to decide? I just started on Ebay and don't want a bad rap.

@CRH4LIFE said:
    They should be able to tell. But I would list it as “Cleaned”.

Agree.

Cleaned, possibly cleaned, more than likely cleaned, or any variations. Of course, there are some who collect cleaned coins because they like cleaned coins and probably cleans their own coins not realizing the ramifications of cleaning a coin and probably hangs around with other coin cleaners. :D:)

To each their own in this fun hobby.

edited June 17, 2019 9:07PM

@Hemispherical .. The auction thing is cool. My Early find W Quarter was at 140.00 then in the last 15 seconds went to 195.00.

• TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think you did well. I would call it VF+ details, cleaned. $100 or a bit more sounds right to me.

Tom

edited June 17, 2019 9:28PM

@CoinscratchFever said:
    @Hemispherical .. The auction thing is cool. My Early find W Quarter was at 140.00 then in the last 15 seconds went to 195.00.

Nice! That almost paid for a 10-coin submission.

Edit: Didn’t calculate all the other fees. Just the $20 FD19 special.

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let us know how you do ....... it's a blasting cleaned coin for sure :)

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

No doubt about the cleaning.... However, many collectors do not care since they are mainly looking for a reasonable addition to their collection..... Dedicated numismatists care a great deal though... Good luck... Cheers, RickO

• drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 18, 2019 12:48PM

I'd list it as "cleaned and polished." Pretty obvious, but some people will try to scam you if you don't mention it in the description!

edited June 18, 2019 1:36PM

@Paradisefound ... Someone offered up 110.00 - 3 times what I paid - I couldn't hit the accept button any quicker - And if that person turns and sells it for 300.00 more power to em. Win Win!

Congrats! Enjoy the win, it won't always be so easy.

Oh, and you haven't really won yet...six months from now you can truly celebrate if it hasn't been returned and no chargeback on the CC!

• IndulgerIndulger Posts: 139 ✭✭✭

Nice....and clean!

@drei3ree said:
    Oh, and you haven't really won yet...six months from now you can truly celebrate if it hasn't been returned and no chargeback on the CC!

Maybe, I shouldn't accept returns in the future. Haven't won yet is right as he hasn't paid yet and then had the audacity to offer me 30.00 on $215.00 coin, 1955 50C PR67Cam.

@CoinscratchFever said:

@drei3ree said:

Maybe, I shouldn't accept returns in the future. Haven't won yet is right as he hasn't paid yet and then had the audacity to offer me 30.00 on $215.00 coin, 1955 50C PR67Cam.

You don't have a choice with ebay. The Buyer claims "Not as described" and eBay will accept the return for you. Also, eBay will send them a return mailing label and charge your account. Selling on eBay is not always glorious!

@CoinscratchFever said:

@drei3ree said:

Did you offer “Best Offer”?
    Don’t use it is you don’t want to see some extraordinarily weird “best” offer’s. Or, set the limits for the best offer and it’ll take care of itself.

@Hemispherical @drei3ree . Apparently I did, still learning. After that I went in and changed the lowest offer to 200.00. I may need to find other outlets for selling. I'm not trying to be a coin dealer I already own and operate a small business that owns most of my time. I'm trying to liquidate most of this garb I acquired in my first year and turn it into one really nice coin to enjoy and call my first real coin for the collection.

The BST on Collectors Universe works really well for most people. A lot of fees and headaches can be avoided. B)

@CoinscratchFever said: I'm trying to liquidate most of this garb I acquired in my first year and turn it into one really nice coin to enjoy and call my first real coin for the collection.

Your "garb" is another's treasure. But if you try to sell that on eBay, you'll die a slow death from fees, scams, and returns!

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

To the OP, I'm glad it worked out for you. In my experience selling problem coins usually doesn't end well... :-/

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.

Well they all fit on one table. Be glad it doesn’t take a whole room.

Could do a lot sale to push similar items out. It’s going to be long haul to get rid of some of those, unless you add them as “gifts” to higher dollar value items you sell. A bonus to a buyer.

@drei3ree said:

@CoinscratchFever said: I'm trying to liquidate most of this garb I acquired in my first year and turn it into one really nice coin to enjoy and call my first real coin for the collection.

>

Your "garb" is another's treasure. But if you try to sell that on eBay, you'll die a slow death from fees, scams, and returns!

I agree and I see how that could happen. Like @Hemispherical mentioned I will try to sell the mint and proof sets as a few different lots. I can't imagine trying to sell those one at a time :s

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file