Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

RIP, Mr Half Dime

BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

Steve's son, Ethan Crain, wrote the following: I would like to wish a great man a very special Father's day. It is entirely fitting that (he) passed today, on a day meant to honor Fathers. You sacrificed so much for us and never asked for anything in return. I have always looked up to you and respected you and will forever be grateful. You will never be forgotten. I love you Dad.

Comments

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

A true Numismatist!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did not know him, but greatly admired his work on Half Dimes. RIP Mr. Half Dime.

• Options
    UltraHighReliefUltraHighRelief Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP to a great numismatist.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP to a good man! :'(

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn't know him either, but saw his posts on here. I am very sorry to read this!
    RIP. :(

• Options
    LoveMyLibertyLoveMyLiberty Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭

Very sorry to hear this. It is not easy to lose a father, or mother.
    I wish the family well.

My Type Set

R.I.P. Bear image
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh, man! RIP Steve and may your family have some comfort during this time.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    AhrensdadAhrensdad Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭

Very sorry to hear this. RIP Mr. Crain.

Successful BST Transactions with: WTCG, Ikenefic, Twincam, InternetJunky, bestday, 1twobits, Geoman x4, Blackhawk, Robb, nederveit, mesquite, sinin1, CommemDude, Gerard, sebrown, Guitarwes, Commoncents05, tychojoe, adriana, SeaEagleCoins, ndgoflo, stone, vikingdude, golfer72, kameo, Scotty1418, Tdec1000, Sportsmoderator1 and many others.

Please visit my website Millcitynumismatics.com
  • Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great loss to numismatics.

• Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

Always so sad. Condolences to his family and many friends.
    Lance.

• Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP.

Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even if he did prefer those itty bitty things instead of "real" coins like half dollars he was a great guy...a friend and mentor to many.

Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very sad news. Way too young to go. Steve gave me great advice and amazingly detailed responses on any questions regarding half dimes. He was a true numismatist. It is crazy, but we never ever talked about the Navy as a common bond. In fact, I think didn't know until the pic was posted by the OP.

Fair winds and following seas, Steve.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I typically avoid posting to these threads but this one strikes me as sad even though I didn't know him or interact much with him. RIP.......................... :'(

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

my condolences to his family and friends

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP <3

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sad to hear. Always had great insight and knowledge.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 17, 2019 11:45AM

So sad....wasn't that kind of quick? Doesn't seem that long ago when the sale of his collection and health issues were discussed. I think if I become seriously ill I would just like to quickly and peacefully.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good dads are a rare breed. To have them in numismatics is a plus. To lose them anytime, sucks. On Father's Day of all days,... it's the worst kind of "suck". But loved.... a man lives on.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very sad indeed. He will be greatly missed.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry to hear this, condolences to his family and friends. A big loss in the numismatic world.

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP a true numismatist. Prayers for the family

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

A great numismatist, a wonderful person to meet at the shows and great loss to all of us. I am sorry to hear of his passing.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭

Oh Steve, rest easy my friend. I'll miss you.

• Options
    USMarine6USMarine6 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not a frequent poster here but do read a lot of the posts. Whenever he would make a post I certainly paid attention as to what he had to say. Very knowledgeable numismatist.

• Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

My sincerest condolences to his family and friends.
    He was one of those contributors that I always enjoyed reading his input.
    RIP

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

He left a great legacy, in numismatics but more importantly in his incredible family.

• Options
    coinnutcoinnut Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭✭

A great guy and a good friend. Always ready to talk coins. You will be missed. RIP

• Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP, Mr. Crain, and thanks for your many contributions to the JRCS and other clubs, this forum, and numismatics.

Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    SethChandlerSethChandler Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭✭

RIP, Mr. Crain was a great person and a real numismatist. I shared with him many PMs about my (perpetually) near complete set of Seated Half Dimes.

Collecting since 1976.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP Steve Crain. You are already missed

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP

• Options
    TheRegulatorTheRegulator Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭

He was a great presence on these boards and will be much missed. Best wishes to his family and friends.

The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. -Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

At least 75% of what I know about half dimes came from Steve. I too am so sorry to hear that he is no longer with us.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm shocked and saddened because he was so full of life on these forums. If available please let us know where the memorial service will be held.

• Options
    drddmdrddm Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP, Mr. Crain
    Condolences to his family and friends.

Dave

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

When you speak of him, speak not with tears, for thoughts of him should not be sad. Let memories of the times you shared give you comfort, for his life was rich because of you.

He didn’t tell you how to live; he lived, and let you watch him do it. What an amazing life your father led. May you never forget the way he smiled and the way he loved you with every piece of his heart.

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry to hear this.

• Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sad news, condolences. :(

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP, my condolences

• Options
    CaptainBluntCaptainBlunt Posts: 180 ✭✭✭

Calm seas and fair winds

• Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭

@logger7 said:
    ...If available please let us know where the memorial service will be held.

Yes I'd like to know the arrangements as well please.

• Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭

RIP, my friend.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file