Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New Lincoln cent "Discovery Coin!"

Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just got this hi-grade "red beauty" in last week! Wink, Wink! 1988-D misplaced "D." "Cha-Ching." Keep looking and Good Luck.

Comments

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Almost hit the LOL button, but in reality, it's pretty sad that somebody spent the money without doing some research.

Unless it was one of those newbies who post on the forums and then argue with members when they're told they don't have an error. Maybe they actually sent it in. In that case, LOL :D

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Oldhoopster said:

Unless it was one of those newbies who post on the forums and then argue with members when they're told they don't have an error. Maybe they actually sent it in. In that case, LOL :D

This!

• Options

I have no reason to lie about folks who know nothing about coins. It can be very entertaining. I call them on the phone, tell them what they have, tell them to keep looking (occasionally they actually do find something worth submitting), and send them a coupon for a free submission to have their next "treasure" checked.

One collector actually found a neat new variety and had it published last month. I got one in change Saturday and will post it this week.

• Options

@Insider2 Is the coin, as in the OP, then slabbed but without the variety?

Always wondered what happens when someone submits something but turns out not to be what they they thought.

• Options

It is a stain and the coin is slabbed as a "normal" 1988 cent with no mention of the discoloration on the label, just a call to the customer.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I almost spit my soda out man......don't do that to me. ;)

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

Type your comment

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have seen diametrically opposed Lincolns today.

This morning I saw a 1943-S bronze cent in PCGS plastic, that was pretty cool, now this, not so cool but comical.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

What kind of marker was used to draw the "D?"

• Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too bad it was not an S or W or even a CC

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:

... and send them a coupon for a free submission to have their next "treasure" checked.

That's a smart idea ... and a gracious approach to enticing them to keep searching. Nice!

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭✭✭

for crying out loud :s

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mustangmanbob said:
    Too bad it was not an S or W or even a CC

CC Lincolns are very rare! :oB)

• Options

@Insider2 said:
    It is a stain and the coin is slabbed as a "normal" 1988 cent with no mention of the discoloration on the label, just a call to the customer.

Thanks!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are many, many individuals that have little to no knowledge of coins, but see 'something' and look for information. I call these people 'unawakened collectors'... and some will become collectors and grow in the hobby. I try to gently inform them of the status of their coin... then explain a bit about damage etc.....Often this works, but sometimes (as we have seen here on the forum), the individual becomes upset and argues, often thinking that they are being lied to....there are some that cannot be convinced. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@RogerB said:
    What kind of marker was used to draw the "D?"

This is a naturally occurring stain that is nicely shaped and near the date so it confused an "unawaken collector."

@astrorat said:

@Insider2 said:

... and send them a coupon for a free submission to have their next "treasure" checked.

That's a smart idea ... and a gracious approach to enticing them to keep searching. Nice!

Hush, you'll ruin my >:) reputation! Let's just regard my actions as a sneaky way to get them to spend more money with us! :wink:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file