Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Does anyone else buy coins they dont necessarily like for other reasons than liking them?

ACopACop Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 17, 2019 3:29AM in U.S. Coin Forum

So "not like" might be an exaggeration. But the idea might be more along the lines of coins you wouldnt buy otherwise except for X. Describe X.

So as one example, when I bought a 26-S PL peace dollar, I went out and bought a bunch of non-PL 26=S dollars to study metal flow and things of that nature. I have done similar with toned coins et cetera. There must be other ways people do this? Grading sets are probably still one way to do it?

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have done that for a set... picked up a coin that was 'less than' what I wanted, because they were scarce and the opportunity presented itself. Later upgraded. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I visit a local store I'll almost always pick up a Morgan.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've done it with items for a quick flip.

• Options

I've also done it on very low population, esoteric coins to ensure that I can control the pricing and to keep a competitor coin from selling too cheaply and bringing down the value of my other coins.

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought a few days ago mainly because of the 13 percent e bay e bucks promo, 250 e bucks worth

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have purchased scores of coins that would have never caught my attention only because they had a clipped planchet. In a few cases this has opened up other area of collecting to me, such as Civil War tokens or certain foreign type coins.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    IndulgerIndulger Posts: 139 ✭✭✭

All the time..to learn about a series and then upgrade. Also to flip on occasion

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes I have certainly done that with bullion coin. If it has gold, platinum, silver, platinum or Palladium content, it is go time.
    But if it is esoteric, highly numismatic and swings wildly in value because of perceived rarity or grade then I like reading about you all’s ‘experiences.’

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    kbbpllkbbpll Posts: 542 ✭✭✭✭

I have purchased just to look at a specific feature under the microscope. I would not have "liked" the coin well enough to buy it without the feature, but of course that's the reason I bought it.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,683 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've done it to flip...

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    I have done that for a set... picked up a coin that was 'less than' what I wanted, because they were scarce and the >opportunity presented itself. Later upgraded. Cheers, RickO

Yep...This one but I'll not likely be upgrading because a MS65 is $26,000
    (this coin is a 64+ pop 45/55)

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've done it before to get a hard to find variety until I can upgrade later. I would rather have something than a hole in my set.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sometimes OCD enough to buy coins I don't necessarily like to fill holes in otherwise important sets. An example is the new Innovation Dollar. I looked at my design set and realized it's no longer complete. I didn't even know about this series.
    So..... I buy a few like this now and then. It will probably cost me $50 or less to get a nice slabbed one that will sit there and fill a spot along with the Washington Prez Buck, No Motto Seated Half, and Flowing Hair dollar.

That's about the limit of what I can tolerate. I'd never be willing to buy all the latest mint crap to keep my collection "complete."

• Options
    PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, at local auctions, when the price seems too cheap to pass up. I view this as sort of a rescue operation. o:) I have many of these cheap buys...one day I'll start processing them out. These recent purchases are from last Saturday.

Here's the Kennedy coin and chronicles set. I had already bought two of each off the mint web site, not just for this one, but for the whole series when offered...couldn't pass this one up for $10. Mintage for reverse proof @ 49,051, and there is an ounce of silver! Medal is struck on ASE planchet.

I paid $11 for all of this stuff...two coin and currency sets, a Kennedy first day of issue...I think, 50th Anniversary Kennedy uncirculated coin set, and some pocket change to vacuum out my car, or, I mean a set of AU-low MS 1999 state hood quarters.

Last,...three PCGS graded dimes. I collect this series; yet, wasn't planning on bidding on these. But shoot- for $16 on whole lot?

I was able to snag a few coins I was after at a reasonable price. I did p/u a '41-D Walker in BU+++, and a nice group of Canadian Large cents that I needed for set. Didn't spend much for those either...little victories make this hobby fun.

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've purchased coins I didn't like just to get some inexpensive silver.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options

@DIMEMAN said:
    I've done it before to get a hard to find variety until I can upgrade later. I would rather have something than a hole in my set.

I have done similar, but to have a "spare". Not likeable? Check. Cleaned, scratched, damaged? Check. $12.45 shipped? Check. Completely unknown and very hard to find 1900-S "reverse of 1899"? Check.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many times, but only of I think I can quickly flip it for a 15-25% profit on eBay (after fees). That said, it's hard to locate material at a price that makes it worthwhile. Most dealers are way smarter than yours truly.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@kbbpll said:

@DIMEMAN said:

I have done similar, but to have a "spare". Not likeable? Check. Cleaned, scratched, damaged? Check. $12.45 shipped? Check. Completely unknown and very hard to find 1900-S "reverse of 1899"? Check.

Not familiar with this variety. What is the difference between the reverse of a 1900 and 1899?

• Options
    edited June 17, 2019 4:46PM

@DIMEMAN Warning, thread hijack in progress. I will PM you my article from last BCCS journal. Someday I might post a separate topic on it. Summary - leaf veins and kernel count, but NO thick ribbon (that came in 1901). 1899 left, 1900 right.

• Options

@1Mike1 said:
    I've purchased coins I didn't like just to get some inexpensive silver.

Good point. I've done similar things - taking some less thrilling pieces in order to acquire a piece or two of interest.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file