Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How many graders do you value at par...without a discount?

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Self explanatory I suppose.

Comments

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 16, 2019 9:50PM

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

???? I guess that is not as self explanatory as you thought... perhaps to you though. ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    IndulgerIndulger Posts: 139 ✭✭✭

Say again?

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

WHAT,WHAT.

• Options
    rkprkp Posts: 434 ✭✭✭

As in TPGs?

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are we to assume that we’re not actually going to look at the coins?

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    jkrkjkrk Posts: 967 ✭✭✭✭✭

Including the top 1% ?

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't golf, and I don't know how to rate other golfers. Or were you talking about something else?

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

76 + 16 in a pinch and 31 retired. STUPID, STUPID, STUPID!

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure what the question is either. Are you asking how many individual graders within a TPG are "average" graders... meaning they get things mostly right with a few outliers here and there?

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am usually able to figure out an unintelligible post but this one has me baffled. can someone, maybe the OP, please explain?? :|

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think he means that if you see a nice coins in a second tier slab, how much do you discount your offer for the coin compared to if the same coin was in a top tier slab at the same grade.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    IndulgerIndulger Posts: 139 ✭✭✭

Ok....my answer is 2

• Options

@rkp said:
    As in TPGs?

Correct. I have the number a 1.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

Zero. I don't care who graded it, everyone hits and misses, there's the eye appeal factor, etc. Not all coins of the same grade and TPGS are equal.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options

@ChrisH821 said:
    Zero. I don't care who graded it, everyone hits and misses, there's the eye appeal factor, etc. Not all coins of the same grade and TPGS are EQUAL.

"Equal" except for many things. The most important over a large number of coins is their perceived value once slabbed and our host wins that test most of the time.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree. As for me if I buy a nice coin in another holder I discount it by the amount it costs to get into a PCGS holder....same as I do with raw coins!

@PerryHall said:
    I think he means that if you see a nice coins in a second tier slab, how much do you discount your offer for the coin compared to if the same coin was in a top tier slab at the same grade.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will also say I hate ICG and ANACS holders because they don't like to be around NGC or PCGS holders and vica versa. Grab a handful of slabs outta the box and they cause them to go flying and don't stack together well either.

• Options

Once I though ICG had the ugliest slab - only a notch above the uglier ANACS holder. After a while, even those dumb finger indents didn't bother me as much. Then when they changed that horrible green label... :)

I'm biased. I think the Hallmark slab with the "banknote border" or the Compugrade slab are the most attractive.

• Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think a lot of guys that are very good at grading, BUT if I am going to buy, I have to like and that has little to do with grade. So zero.

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

Of course it comes down to "the coin"... but I find more coins appropriately graded in PCGS & NGC holders than others. That said... I've picked up a number of deals in ANACS and ICG holders over the years ;-)

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    Once I though ICG had the ugliest slab - only a notch above the uglier ANACS holder. After a while, even those dumb finger indents didn't bother me as much. Then when they changed that horrible green label... :)

I'm biased. I think the Hallmark slab with the "banknote border" or the Compugrade slab are the most attractive.

ICG has a very nice holder IMO. I've seen some of the old green ones with a black insert holding the coin, was this an option at some point?

The only holder I really don't like is the ANACS yellow one

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Uhhhh...."42"

• Options
    kbbpllkbbpll Posts: 542 ✭✭✭✭

Ha, I thought it meant which graders give you good value without waiting for some kind of sale or bulk submission.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭✭✭

Always liked the ICG holders - they stack nicely.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

Take a mulligan...

Not only did you miss the fairway, your tee shot is ob. Not even Gerry Mulligan can help in changing the tune.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

If your interpretation is accurate, you deserve a Nobel Prize. I thought he was asking what our thoughts were of professional coin graders in general.

Tom

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

2 and a third

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, par value means face value, so I suppose I would pay face value for anything graded by any reputable TPG, and not discount from that.

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

ONE!

• Options

@TPRC said:

@PerryHall said:

If your interpretation is accurate, you deserve a Nobel Prize. I thought he was asking what our thoughts were of professional coin graders in general.

Their should be a Nobel prize for numismatics.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file