Home Precious Metals

Need a hand to identify this coin if possible, Im still learning.

Hi all my collecting silver is still fun but every so often I run into a find I get limited info on. This I found in a store it only weighs 28.9 Grams. It slides down my magnet slide like silver feels like silver but the weight concerns me. Would anyone have an idea if this is .999 silver or not? Or have any further information that would help me out? Thanks very much!

Comments

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

some type of token/medal. If it were silver it would most likely be marked with silver content.

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you have a local coin shop? Many have a testing instrument now.

• rob1083rob1083 Posts: 16
    edited June 16, 2019 11:21AM

Damn it I knew I should have passed on it lol. It looked felt and slood on that slide just like silver grrrrr,,,,,,It just weighed light I was trying to avoid ruining it with an acid test.

• It was from a LCS but the guy seemed unsure of the coin. He said if your not comfortable don't buy it. I really liked the graphic so I took a chance on it (Which I never do) because I'm still so new at stacking silver, I'm very skiddish. I paid a buck over spot ehhhh what can I do Im still a noob lol

• cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dont ever buy silver rounds unless they are marked at least .999, because no one will buy them from you.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 16, 2019 12:55PM

@rob1083

Since there are no markings (show a pic of the edge) why do you think it’s Ag in the first place?

http://www.rlhs.org/

http://www.pacificcoastchapterrlhs.org/

• I thought from the 70's some coins were not marked as .999 silver. As I said above the coin sounds looks feels like silver. I put is on a magnet slide and it slides like silver. Please understand Im still new to this, but this is the only coin I have EVER took a chance on . Stupid move on my part this time.

• The End is all silver colored also no other color at all. But it has ridges.

edited June 16, 2019 1:54PM

You are saying it is a ‘coin.’

What is the denomination?

Once you’ve answered the question above then you’ll know one of the things that must be on US coins.

US Coinage Act.

edited June 16, 2019 2:00PM

Well, I think I finally got an answer just now . I saw one on (That big Auction site) And the seller states its sterling.925 So I guess that's 92 %? And I guess I misspoke its a medallion, not a coin, live and learn. Thanks for all the help and education much appreciated! Now Im looking for a mark on it but at the moment I don't see one

• cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it doesn't say sterling or .925 then 99% of the folk you would eventually resell it to will pass.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Yup unless they are very knowledgeable about this type or this medallion, I still like it. It will serve as a reminder next time I decide to "Take a chance" on something. Found a few on ebay for 30 bucks one for 115.00. ?? Well thanks again guys for the help. Cost me 15.90 I can live with this lesson lol

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Likely not silver.. but a jeweler or some coin shops can unobtrusively test it for you... and put your mind at ease.. Either way, it was not a disastrous purchase...Cheers, RickO

• ashelandasheland Posts: 23,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the boards!

• Thanks ricko and Im glad to be here asheland thanks !!

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,634 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome, and now you know that you can get some good guidance here. :)

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,708 ✭✭✭✭✭

Okay, back in '73 there was no requirement to mark silver, period.
    It is likely silver.
    I does not say 1 ounce, so don't expect one ounce.
    Now, if you really want to know what metal it is you will need to learn to do a "specific gravity test". This method does not harm the coin and will tell you exactly what it is made from.
    Watch this video to learn and copy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_2vA1qO2fA

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
    edited June 18, 2019 2:05PM

DRY WEIGHT=28.9 water after I pushed tear with the coin on a string=3.0/////I divided 28.9/3.0=9.63g Hmmm this is interesting trying to find a chart to see if it ic close. I did NOT use distilled water I used tap?

999 Pure Silver 10.50
    Sterling Silver 10.36
    .925 Sterling 10.31
    German Silver 8.74

• RESULTS OF MY SCRATCH TEST!!!!!

edited June 18, 2019 1:54PM

What do you guys think? I really don't want to be a pain in the arse but this is a HUGE learning experience for me!!! So weird looks like silver scratches like silver feels like silver slides on a magnet like silver sounds like silver.

Good learning experience.

Tap versus Distilled. Of course depends on the source of your tap water and what filtration it goes through amongst many other factors. Hope it’s not well water.

That’s why distilled water is highly recommended. It’s a constant. Starting a calculation with an unknown (tap water) will throw off calculations.

https://www.simetric.co.uk/si_water.htm

Enjoy your experiments and let us know how it goes.

Glad silver spot is about $15/toz. You have about 3g short of a toz. So it’s a less expensive experiment. I may have missed it but how much did that token set you back?

• It was 1 Dollar over spot cost me last week about 15.88 )). What did you think of the scratch marks and acid test? I will get some distilled water and try again .....No not well water at all I live in a large city