Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Question for Forum Members Re "W" Cents

RichRRichR Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Question 1: Why did the Mint package the three 2019 "W" cent varieties in individual floppy envelopes rather then as part of their respective annual sets (and enclosed within those sets)? Was this just a lame cost saving measure so as to not produce revised set packaging?

Question 2: How are you storing these coins as to best protect their condition? Right now, I have the plastic envelopes tucked inside the paper envelopes provided by the Mint and those are in turn tucked inside the larger boxes holding the respective mint and proof sets.

I'm just concerned that the cents will degrade without proper packaging.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just leave mine in the envelope they came in....Keep them away from high heat/humidity and other environmental influences and they should be relatively stable for years. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    rmorganrmorgan Posts: 249 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 16, 2019 5:53AM

I put mine in a capsule. (I did not feel I could appreciate the coin through the cellophane and printing.)

My strategy is about collecting what I intend to keep, not investing in what I plan to sell.

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,604 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think that mint cello these are in is going to be good for long term storage!

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 16, 2019 8:47AM

i. Ask the Mint. No one could possible know the answers unless you work for the Mint on the W cent project. https://catalog.usmint.gov/customer-service/contact-us.html

ii. Keep them in the plastic baggie and then stick it in a 2.5x2.5 flip. If there’s a hole in the baggie then take it out of the baggie and put the coin in the flip. Potential 70s off for verification... time to wake up.

There was an article that mentioned someone from the Mint stated the bags were safe.

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭✭✭

LIKELY the decision was made to spice up the sets too late to (re)design the packages and reset the machinery...

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the soft plastic is mylar (not 100% sure). But on any case soft plastic from the mint for unc sets has been safe over the years.

• Options
    MiBellitaMiBellita Posts: 45 ✭✭

When I ordered the 2019 proof set, I recieved a W cent that appeared discolored and I was a bit disappointed but still happy to have it. I thought maybe the plastic baggie had something to do with it.. I'll post a picture of it when I get back home

• Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish Capital Plastics had a blank holder for 3 cents...but I've never seen such an item.

• Options
    MiBellitaMiBellita Posts: 45 ✭✭

@MiBellita said:
    When I ordered the 2019 proof set, I recieved a W cent that appeared discolored and I was a bit disappointed but still happy to have it. I thought maybe the plastic baggie had something to do with it.. I'll post a picture of it when I get back home

I don't think it ever let me post the pic of mine, not sure why..

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used my 4 "Free" grading vouchers for grading there. I get one each Proof and Silver Proof sets and 2 Uncirculated Sets by subscription. I had to wait because of Stupid Post shipping so sent all 4 in on 6/7 and they were delivered to PCGS 6/10. Because of the number of W Quarters sent in, I'm assuming from what CS told me, they weren't checked in till 6/24 or 2 weeks later. Grading went the quickest I've experienced giving credit where credit is due. I got the "Grades In" and "Order Shipped" this morning. Less than 4 days to make it through the grading process was excellent.

Considering the complaints of discolored and stained W Cents receive by members here I have little to complain about in the grades received.

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats 🙀jzyskowski

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MiBellita said:

@MiBellita said:

I don't think it ever let me post the pic of mine, not sure why..

Sometimes the forum is finnicky.

Couple work arounds:

Edit a post and upload the pic.

Precede the pic immediately with an emoji.

:)

• Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file