Home U.S. Coin Forum

Cathedral Medals

KnellKnell Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭✭

I tried this in world coin forum but no luck on information about the medal. Thanks anyway to all.
Joseph Davis creation..... anyone has information about these medals. Maybe I'm doing wrong research on the net.

Thank.

Comments

• philographerphilographer Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jacques Wiener

He who knows he has enough is rich.

• tokenprotokenpro Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭

As to the Oxford Cathedral medal -- per Brown: "The following eight medals dedicated to Prince Albert comprise part of a set believed to have been struck in the 1840s after the marriage of Queen Victoria to Prince Albert."

The cathedrals listed include Canterbury, Ely, Gloucester, Lichfield, Lincoln, Oxford, Westminster Abbey and Worcester. All are 61mm and struck in both bronze and white metal by J. Davis, all are listed as common in both metals. Davis issued several other different cathedral medals in different sizes as well.

The Oxford medal is cataloged as Brown-2372 with notes that Oxford is the smallest of the English cathedrals, started in the 12rh century and finished in the 15th century.

The Burgos medal is one of the long series of cathedral medals issued by Jacques and Charles Wiener -- much info is available via search on both the Wieners, their medals and this Spanish church.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cathedral medals are amazing with the incredible details.... Real works of art.... While not suitable for circulating coinage, due to the fine details, they are superb examples of medallic art. Cheers, RickO

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Knell Wonderful medals!

• KnellKnell Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tokenpro thanks for the info. That will give me more ways to research.

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

You have quite a few I believe ...... show us the group picture :) They are very nice

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file