Home U.S. Coin Forum

Comments

• Options
    ike126ike126 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yikes thats a shame. I bet you it goes for more then that next time with hertiage ETC

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kyle said:
    Looks like it turned in the holder as well.

Current pics certainly look worse than the TV....

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 15, 2019 7:58PM
  • Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

AT or not like a few others have said, it looks like it has continued to tone in the holder since it was slabbed.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

it looks like they juiced the pics, even the TruView

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh My............and I get nice coins back with questionable color! ARGH!

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 15, 2019 10:00PM

@davewesen said:
    it looks like they juiced the pics, even the TruView

The TrueView shows a lot of rainbow color for a 1964-D Kennedy, even pastel-like.

At least the seller provided slab photos showing the current condition. I hope the winner enjoys it for $439.95.

• Options

@morgandollar1878 said:
    AT or not like a few others have said, it looks like it has continued to tone in the holder since it was slabbed.

Is it in a Gen 6.0 holder? The feet aren't fully in the photo but they look thick like on the 6.0s.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmmm. I’m somewhere between QT and blatant AT on this one. I’m willing to consider the possibility that it looked better when graded or that the photos are making it look worse than it does in-hand. In any case, not one I’d be looking to buy.

• Options
    rln_14rln_14 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

Looks ugly to me, no matter which set of pictures are used, imho

• Options
    batumibatumi Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭

I have seen a lot of these along with ASE's sold at high prices lately, and would not pay above bullion for these.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Simple solution. Don’t buy it. As Skyman said caveat emptor

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks as if it continued to degenerate in the slab....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

we all see what we see.

to me the color looks legitimate and the difference in the pictures is explainable: the TV images were done with lighting which doesn't show the ugly spotting in the sellers pictures. the light is more intense and the coin/light is angled slightly. if you look at the two sets of images and compare them it is easy to see the shapes of the ugly brown in the TV's, just not the "real" color. also, in the sellers pictures the color seems muted, or to put it another way, the TV images seem to be the ones which are adjusted to the coin's advantage.

to my way of thinking it is the "ugliness" we all see in the sellers picture which makes the coin NT in my mind. just as it is impossible to "fake" the haze on Proof coins it is probably impossible to fake the dramatic colors with the brown splotchiness. I also don't see it as a coin which is "turning" in the holder.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've often wondered if the seal on the plastic slabs is water tight. Cars that have sustained water damage from hurricanes or flooding are sometimes sold to unsuspecting buyers... I wonder what happens to coins from those same disasters. If the seal gets compromised. ... just thinking out loud.... if this could contribute to toning while in the holder after the coin gets dried out...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 16, 2019 7:18AM

@lkenefic
    This is a screen capture from a video PCGS did to introduce their new slab. They emphasized that these are waterproof and did some extensive environmental testing before releasing it:

Many of the older slabs are certainly not waterproof.

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

I dunno. That odd pastel type toning on silver coins is usually a no-go for me.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ugly,ugly,ugly.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's just terrible

• Options
    edited June 16, 2019 5:17PM

The interesting thing with these photos is that where the toning is really dark in the slab photos, you can often see specs on the TrueView, like around the L, T, and Y in LIBERTY.

• Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭

The coin looks NT to me. The TruView is juiced. I have multiple wild toned coins that look very different than the TV. Simply look at the color flow and the inside of the letters. Looks fine.

"You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even if NT, I don't find those colors appealing. :(

• Options
    BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭✭✭

@kbbpll said:
    But it's got a QA sticker.

What is the QA sticker? never seen it before. Is it something the owner put on the slab?

Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

The True View image also looks> @BUFFNIXX said:

@kbbpll said:
    But it's got a QA sticker.

What is the QA sticker? never seen it before. Is it something the owner put on the slab?

It's James Segos version of CAC for moderns.

• Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 17, 2019 5:56PM

QA maintains a searchable database like CAC that can be used to verify whether or not they really stickered that thang, but I cant seem to get their Cert/Verify function on the QA website to work...

and FWIW I think it is AT. Surprised Sego thinks is is MA!

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 17, 2019 5:55PM

AT and turned in the holder. They are straight grading thousands of them for edynamicmarketing. I have cert #'s to prove it.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is why PCGS should be photographing every toned modern that they holder, whether requested or not. If I'm submitting knowingly AT'ed coins, I wouldn't want a "before" picture available of my handiwork after it turned.

The "after" picture looks less AT then the TV, actually.

• Options
    edited June 17, 2019 9:57PM

@bolivarshagnasty said:
    AT and turned in the holder. They are straight grading thousands of them for edynamicmarketing. I have cert #'s to prove it.

Heather asked for proof so if you have it, send it to her.

• Options
    lonn47lonn47 Posts: 236 ✭✭✭

looks good

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bolivarshagnasty said:

It must be costing edynamicmarketing tens of thousands of dollars

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

why does everyone keep insisting it "turned" in the holder?? the difference in appearance is due to lighting.

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@bolivarshagnasty said:

Heather asked for proof so if you have it, send it to her.

I have brought it to their attention and heard nothing back. Three years ago they were in the listening mode and promptly shut down a well known doctor in Sandy, Utah.

@davewesen said:

@bolivarshagnasty said:

It must be costing edynamicmarketing tens of thousands of dollars

Their current eBay presence is huge, not to mention their offshoot business, mothernaturesshowroom.

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with keets, I do not think it turned in the holder, it is a matter of how it was imaged by pcgs and by the other party that ends up with images that are different. I have imaged 1000s of coins and can say that there are all kinds of ways to avoid highlighting detracting features on a coin when imaging them. A TV is there to bring out the best in the coin and they know how to do it, less experienced folks may not be able to hide detracting features.

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

$439? Oh man the world is off it's rocker. I'd of paid $5.50 and done an immediate crack and dip. That thing will be black in another 2-3 years. lol

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

Once it's in the holder it ain't no longer AT

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blitzdude said:
    $439? Oh man the world is off it's rocker. I'd of paid $5.50 and done an immediate crack and dip. That thing will be black in another 2-3 years. lol

Except that you wouldn’t have gotten it for $5.50, it might not be AT and even if it is, that doesn’t mean it will necessarily turn black in 2-3 years.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, it just means it's market acceptable, which means it doesn't matter whether or not it's AT.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:

No, it just means it's market acceptable, which means it doesn't matter whether or not it's AT.

It doesn’t even mean that. It just means it’s acceptable to whichever company graded it. 😉

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@bolivarshagnasty said:

We have openly called for proof regarding this seller and received no reply. I am shutting this thread down as it violates our posted rules.

Heather Boyd
    PCGS Senior Director of Marketing

This discussion has been closed.