Home U.S. Coin Forum

Gold Recovered From Pompeii after Vesuvius

We visited Italy for my wife’s 60th birthday and Pompeii was one of our stops. If you are ever in Naples you can take a train called the circumvesuviana which stops in Pompeii and Herculaneum. We decided to go to Herculaneum which is more intact since it was inundated by 25 meters of mud in 79 A.D.

The better known Pompeii was covered in ash with more deterioration since then.

Comments

• TiborTibor Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing . Your collection is truly marvelous.
    Happy birthday to your wife.

• chrisflchrisfl Posts: 27 ✭✭

real cool...I want to go to Herculaneum......maybe after I retire.

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, amazing. Happy Birthday to the young lady !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The forces of nature.... they destroy, and yet, preserve...... Interesting coins. Cheers, RickO

• earlycoinsearlycoins Posts: 282 ✭✭✭

Beautiful examples. What is their availability? Are there dealers that annotate them?

• oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

Were the artifacts displayed in the OP at the site or in the museum in Naples?

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting piece of history! Thanks for sharing...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • ACopACop Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SmEagle1795 said:
    Pompeii and Herculaneum are must-see destinations for those interested in ancient history. Some of the gold aurei recovered are available to be privately owned, and I'm fortunate to have a few. They developed a distinctive tone after being covered in volcanic ash for 1800 years.

Domitian, featuring Romus and Remus, the founding myth of Rome:

Romulus

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are magnificent aurei SmEagle1795 !

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Volcanic toning" :)

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is numismatics at its best! Links to people from the distant past! Wonderful! 🙂

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Happy Birthday to @Tomthemailcarrier ‘s better half. :)

@SmEagle1795 Those are awesome golden volcano coins!

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

That Domitian is incredible!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • TomthemailcarrierTomthemailcarrier Posts: 631 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oldabeintx said:
    Were the artifacts displayed in the OP at the site or in the museum in Naples?

They were onsite at a small gold museum in Herculaneum.

• jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's just cool to see

• IndulgerIndulger Posts: 139 ✭✭✭

Very impressive!

• robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kool... The toning on these ancients is incredible.

• jt88jt88 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice post

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SmEagle1795 said:
    Pompeii and Herculaneum are must-see destinations for those interested in ancient history. Some of the gold aurei recovered are available to be privately owned, and I'm fortunate to have a few. They developed a distinctive tone after being covered in volcanic ash for 1800 years.

Domitian, featuring Romulus and Remus, the founding myth of Rome:

Vespasian:

Nero:

Those are just incredible! :open_mouth:

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a lover of toned gold, these are drool worthy! The story behind them makes them even cooler! Keep me in mind if you ever sell!!

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jwitten said:
    As a lover of toned gold, these are drool worthy! The story behind them makes them even cooler! Keep me in mind if you ever sell!!

They won't be cheap. :o

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a great idea for a vacation trip! Aren't their some well-preserved mosaics in Herculaneum as well?

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • kbbpllkbbpll Posts: 542 ✭✭✭✭

Right on cue, Archaeology magazine arrived today, cover story - "Pompeii Rediscovered".
    Sadly we didn't get to Herculaneum back in 1987, but @jmski52 Pompeii definitely has mosaics.

• TomthemailcarrierTomthemailcarrier Posts: 631 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmski52 said:
    That's a great idea for a vacation trip! Aren't their some well-preserved mosaics in Herculaneum as well?

There were many mosaics to be seen on a tour of the city of Herculaneum. It was the most worthwhile stop on our adventure.

• gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Best post of the year. :)

• carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for posting this Tom! Is there a specific term for the orientation of the legend on the Domitian? The legend reads outwardly anti-clockwise (counterclockwise), which is seen sometimes on first century AD coins.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file