Home Sports Talk
Options

UPDATE: Lakers are Picked to win the NBA championship next year

hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 14, 2019 12:47PM in Sports Talk

"_ Anthony Davis is such a talented player that even the mere mention of his name in trade rumors is enough to shift championship odds for the 2019-20 NBA season.

According to Caesars Palace, the Los Angeles Lakers have the second-best odds to take home the 2020 Larry O'Brien Trophy at 5-1. What's more, the Boston Celtics' odds have moved from 16-1 to 10-1:_"

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2840790-2020-nba-title-odds-celtics-lakers-chances-jump-amid-anthony-davis-rumors

Comments

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't want him in Boston for sure.

• Options
    JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭✭

besides LeBron (now another year older) what do the Lakers have that make anyone think they can win a title?

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a report here in Boston that Kyrie Irving is prepared to sign with the Nets and that could possibly lead to an AD trade there is well. Brooklyn likely would have to add a 3rd team in this deal to make it happen.

• Options
    edited June 14, 2019 12:43PM

Update: Lakers are favored to win 2019-2020 NBA title.

"The Los Angeles Lakers — the LeBron James-led team that did not make the NBA Playoffs this year and finished the regular season with a 37-45 record — are currently the favorites to win the 2019-20 NBA championship, according to PointsBet."

Los Angeles Lakers +400

Milwaukee Bucks +500

Los Angeles Clippers +700

Philadelphia 76ers +800

Toronto Raptors +900

Houston Rockets +1000

Golden State Warriors +1100

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/06/nba-odds-2019-20-lakers-lebron-raptors-warriors

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 15, 2019 6:43PM

I would think the Raptors, Bucks, Warriors and whoever signs Anthony Davis will be the top Teams. unless he signs with a Team that has a good supporting cast and premier/marquee player, I don't expect Kyrie Irving to be anything more than an afterthought.

• Options

I bet those same oddsmakers had Toronto winning the 2018-19 championship too. ;)

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

LOL......I just love the way these talking heads think they know so much about what is going to happen next year. There will be trades and injuries.

Look what injuries did to this years finals. Without injuries GS wins the series.

• Options
    edited June 15, 2019 3:47PM

LA better win a championship after basically giving up their future in this deal.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

LA better win a championship after basically giving up their future in this deal.

The haul isn't as big as big as some think.

Ball can't shoot, and is oft injured.

Ingram has/had a beyond serious blood clot that needed surgery (99% don't need surgery). Blood clots made Chris Bosh retire early.

This year's #4 pick misses the undisputed can't miss big 3 of draftees.

Two more first round draft picks will be like early second round picks if the Lakers become the dynasty the bookies are predicting. They'll be picks at the very end of round one.

• Options

@hammer1 said:

@erikthredd said:

The haul isn't as big as big as some think.

Ball can't shoot, and is oft injured.

Ingram has/had a beyond serious blood clot that needed surgery (99% don't need surgery). Blood clots made Chris Bosh retire early.

This year's #4 pick misses the undisputed can't miss big 3 of draftees.

Two more first round draft picks will be like early second round picks if the Lakers become the dynasty the bookies are predicting. They'll be picks at the very end of round one.

The Bookies odds don't mean a thing in reality. A year ago GS was favored to be champions this past week not Toronto. Boston was up there as was LA and neither of them came close to making the Finals. Milwaukee was coming off a 6th seed first round knockout and not on the oddsmakers radar nor was Denver who went from a 9 seed to a 2 seed.

LA may go get another max player but they just traded away their future to gamble on a 35yr old Lebron and AD who gets injured every season. You don't even know how happy I am right now that Danny Ainge did not make this trade instead.

• Options
    edited June 15, 2019 4:27PM

It's the bookies business to know what's going to happen.

No one figured on devastating injuries to KD and Klay. Otherwise GS they had a 3 peat. Bookies had it right last year. The bookies have it right again for the upcoming year.

Lakers light years ahead of Celtics. Ainge may not leave his bed for months. Plus Lakers have room for one more max contract. It's over baby!

Lakers DYNASTY is back.

• Options

@hammer1 said:
    It's the bookies business to know what's going to happen.

No one figured on devastating injuries to KD and Klay. Otherwise GS they had a 3 peat.

Boston pulled ahead of the Lakers for the last 5 years. That's over NOW.

Lakers light years ahead of Celtics. Plus Lakers have room for one more max contract. It's over baby!

Ainge may not leave his bed for months.

Lakers DYNASTY is back.

You just made my point,Lebron's age is a legit concern as is AD getting hurt yearly. Lose one of those guys and that team is screwed. Just wait till LA's salary is over the cap and all they have to fill the roster are the Larry,Moe & Curly's from the 2nd round.
    LA added Lebron and were considered a top 2-3 team ti win the championship a year ago then went on to win a whole two games more than they did the previous season,that right there tells you all you need to know about your precious oddsmakers.

Cmon now,Ainge still has the roster that made it to the ECF a year ago and that douche Kyrie won't be around to totally ruin team chemistry again. Add in five first round picks in the next two drafts and I'd bet that Boston's run lasts a hell of a lot longer than LA's.

• Options
    edited June 15, 2019 4:34PM

For the last 5 years I was so jealous of what Boston did. They were ahead of the Lakers.

That all changed today.

Boston won't even make the second round of the playoffs again. Draft picks mean nothing when you have ALL Stars filling your roster. Boston has none!

While Lakers cruise to a championship.

Lakers three-peat!!!

• Options
    edited June 15, 2019 4:37PM

Yeah good luck with that, The Lakers just had a three-peat with three straight #2 picks in the draft. With AD they're probably a 4-5th seed at best. Boston has the same amount of All-Stars on their roster as LA has.

• Options
    edited June 15, 2019 4:41PM

We dumped those losing picks for the second best player in the NBA. Lakers= winning!

Boston's draft picks mean nothing. Not one all star.

Lakers have 2 all stars, and soon will have three.

Boston is just another also ran, that hopes to make the first round of the playoffs.

I remember when Boston was a powerhouse. Now they have nothing. They have no future. Draft picks. LOL

Sad, really.

• Options

@hammer1 said:
    We dumped those losing picks for the second best player in the NBA. Lakers= winning!

Boston's draft picks mean nothing. Not one all star.

Lakers have 2 all stars, and soon will have three.

Boston is just another also ran, that hopes to make the first round of the playoffs.

I remember when they were a powerhouse. Now they have nothing. **They have no future. Draft picks. ** LOL

Sad, really.

Al Horford & Gordon Hayward.

They own the most coveted future draft pick in the NBA,the 2020 Grizzlies pick. You obviously don't pay much attention past the Lakers. I'll end this p!$$ing contest right here and we can revisit a year from now when it actually matters.

• Options

You really don't pay attention to the overall picture. Do you know how many top draft picks fail?

Hey man, we're in different leagues now. The Celtics are the unwashed masses. The Lakers are royalty.

You keep hoping those draft picks make it in 5-6 years, while the Lakers are bringing home the championship trophy.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

I feel it is wiser to boast about what you have accomplished, not what you think you will do.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    edited June 15, 2019 5:03PM

Boston's recent picks haven't failed: Jayson Tatum & Jaylen Brown are both future All Stars,Marcus Smart just made First Team All-NBA,Last years 1st,Center Robert Williams, would have averaged over 5 blocks a game had he played starter minutes.
    One other picked turned into getting an All-Star. You act like draft picks are worthless,if that were the case LA wouldn't have handed over three of them.
    I want this team using all these picks and building through the draft for the long haul. Every major dynasty has been built through the draft from the 50-60's Celtics,the 80's Celtics & Lakers,90's Bulls,00's Spurs and the 10's Warriors. The only teams that actually paid for championships were Shaq's Lakers & Lebron's Heat in their prime,the latter is past his prime.

You can go on all you want about LA's All-Stars but they better win it next year because that will be their only shot with GS on the mend.

• Options

Marcus Smart made First Team All-Defense not All-NBA.

• Options
    edited June 15, 2019 5:10PM

Different league my friend.

Boston's hoping unproven hoping draft picks work out.

Lakers will be signing their third super star.

World's apart...

• Options
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2019 6:22PM

_ __"Everyone Won the Anthony Davis Trade (Except the Celtics and Knicks)_

Very recently, it seemed like the Celtics had far and away the best collection of young talent and draft capital in the NBA. Now they have Tatum, Jaylen Brown, Marcus Smart, some OK-ish first-round picks, and Gordon Hayward’s one good leg. _This is not a title contender, and it’s hard to see how it’s going to become one. _"

https://slate.com/culture/2019/06/anthony-davis-lebron-james-lakers-pelicans-trade.html

• Options

@hammer1 said:

Very recently, it seemed like the Celtics had far and away the best collection of young talent and draft capital in the NBA. Now they have Tatum, Jaylen Brown, Marcus Smart, some OK-ish first-round picks, and Gordon Hayward’s one good leg. _This is not a title contender, and it’s hard to see how it’s going to become one. _"

https://slate.com/culture/2019/06/anthony-davis-lebron-james-lakers-pelicans-trade.html

And the Lakers have a used up over the hill James and a injury prone Davis...…...what's your point??

• Options

some things come to mind upon hearing this news:
    1). as last year wore on it was clear that what the Lakers had wasn't enough, three top players are needed and they didn't have that.
    2). it is reasonable to assume that when this initial "projection" was made that Bleacher Report knew things we didn't and was confident of their sources.
    3). the Lakers added-by-subtraction when they traded Ball.
    4). the "window" in the NBA doesn't stay open for long. in Boston, it seems like it was wide open during 2017-2018 and except for the early injury Hayward the Celtics may have won the Championship. they had some magic that year.
    5). the aforementioned window is closing on Lebron James.
    6). I think I have to go with the perspective of hammer1 over erikthredd.

the Boston Celtics are an enigma to me. two seasons ago they were everything an NBA franchise wanted to be and seemed to be "touched" and ready for a run. Danny Ainge was being praised for assembling a lot of really, really good young talent and using Draft Picks wisely, Brad Stevens could seem to do no wrong as he was hailed as a savant, Kyrie Irving was on the edge of Team leader stardom as he finally had "his own" Team and the core players were gonna be in Boston long enough to make things happen.

now Danny Ainge is battling some health problems, I haven't heard much of Brad Stevens all year except when there was some chaos to deal with and Kyrie Irving has become a cancer. building a quality Team in the NBA is hard and the Celtics did that by doing all the right things, only to see it come apart very quickly. it's weird, but in the course of one year three of the best Teams in the East --- Cleveland, Boston and Philly --- took steps back as the Bucks and Raptors took some big steps forward.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@hammer1 said:

And the Lakers have a used up over the hill James and a injury prone Davis...…...what's your point??

With your low IQ, no matter what point I or anyone else makes, you won't get it.

I've seen enough of your posts to realize you know nothing about the NBA.

lol

• Options

wow, major bazinga!!! :D

• Options

@hammer1 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@hammer1 said:

With your low IQ, no matter what point I or anyone else makes, you won't get it.

I've seen enough of your posts to realize you know nothing about the NBA.

lol

I guess I should bow down to the all knowing hammer........who picked the Rams to win the Super Bowl. :):oB)

Go ahead and make some more of your silly predictions! ;)

• Options

@keets said:
    the Boston Celtics are an enigma to me. two seasons ago they were everything an NBA franchise wanted to be and seemed to be "touched" and ready for a run. Danny Ainge was being praised for assembling a lot of really, really good young talent and using Draft Picks wisely, Brad Stevens could seem to do no wrong as he was hailed as a savant, Kyrie Irving was on the edge of Team leader stardom as he finally had "his own" Team and the core players were gonna be in Boston long enough to make things happen.

now Danny Ainge is battling some health problems, I haven't heard much of Brad Stevens all year except when there was some chaos to deal with and Kyrie Irving has become a cancer. building a quality Team in the NBA is hard and the Celtics did that by doing all the right things, only to see it come apart very quickly. it's weird, but in the course of one year three of the best Teams in the East --- Cleveland, Boston and Philly --- took steps back as the Bucks and Raptors took some big steps forward.

I agree LA's window is this season and Boston's is more of a long term plan in place but you honestly had no clue about why this past season's Celtics team was a letdown until Bronco & I told. Some blame deservedly goes beyond Kyrie but he's entirely to blame for that second half of torture that Boston fans had to watch. We can say this so many times but unless you were actually watching it on a daily basis its easy to think it was the entire team when it really wasn't. Just from an oncourt standpoint,Kyrie did what he wanted whenever he wanted. There were times he just ignored other players on offense to the point they had to call numerous team meetings to air things and this was before his hissy fit when he didn't get to take the final shot in a loss to Orlando. After Tatum missed that shot he called out Hayward,Tatum & Stevens while still on court. You mention Ball as an addition by subtraction and Kyrie is absolutely in the same category.

By two years ago I assume you're talking about the team that took the Cavs to 7 games which was just about 54 weeks ago. Boston still has that entire roster aside from Marcus Morris who with no Kyrie coming back will likely get re-signed but with a raise. They'll also have a fully healthy Hayward to start this upcoming season. This team's future hasn't changed much because Kyrie is leaving or because they didn't clearly overpay for AD when he never wanted to come here in the first place.

Ainge's health is fine he made multiple interviews in the past week and admitted he's back at work 100% so that isn't an issue. Those three teams that took steps back had three entirely different scenarios though. Cavs obviously lost Lebron,Philly mortgaged their future (all their young depth &picks) to go all in with Butler & Tobias Harris,re-signing one/both/neither -has yet to be determined and Boston has literally the entire roster from game 7 against the Cavs coming back with Hayward plus three first round picks in next week's draft. Ainge is actually a solid drafter and none of these picks need to be home runs when Boston's young core for the foreseeable future wil Tatum,Brown,Smart,likely Rozier and whoever that Grizzlies pick turns into. Its top 6 protected in 2020 but not protected at all in 2021. That is arguably the most valuable draft pick in the NBA going forward seeing that Grizzlies suck and will only get worse if they trade their best player Mike Conley. Hammer wants to point out how many draft picks fail yet doesn't realize that is on the team just as much as the players. Boston's system comes from a guy that gets the best out of young players and we saw that with back to back ECF's without any stars by most people's standard playing in either run.

Before anyone decides to tell me how hard it will be to replace Kyrie I'd just like to point out that with Kyrie this team was 78-49 these past two seasons for a .614 winning percentage and only managed one second round win before dropping four straight to the Bucks.
    Without Kyrie in the lineup Boston went 26-11 over the past two seasons for a .702 winning percentage and looked like an entirely different team without him. They were better on defense and the offense wasn't some iso ballhog freelancing whenever he felt the need. Their playoff run led by a 20&21 year old speaks for itself.

Again LA is all in now and Boston has a long term view. My main point before hammer decided to turn this into a p!$$ing contest was just that adding All-Stars guarantees nothing and neither does some oddsmakers odds that he posted that had LA at the top.
    We only need to go back about 11 months ago on a day when the Golden State Warriors signed DeMarcus Cousins for 5M and how his addition was going to turn the Warriors into an unbeatable juggernaut come playoff time and we all know how that ended.

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sports talk radio today in GS land suggested that GS part ways with Durant and Thompson in order to clear the way for a full court press to convince Kwahi Leonard to sign with the Warriors.

It will be interesting to watch how the off season player movement will turn out in the NBA.

• Options

@SanctionII said:
    Sports talk radio today in GS land suggested that GS part ways with Durant and Thompson in order to clear the way for a full court press to convince Kwahi Leonard to sign with the Warriors.

It will be interesting to watch how the off season player movement will turn out in the NBA.

I don't know how accurate they were but there were numerous reports early last week saying he was planning on signing a short term deal to stay in Toronto.

• Options
    steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭

@SanctionII said:

Well if it's discussed on talk radio...….it must be true

1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • Options

Eric, I think we agree on most things, I was just thinking out loud. one interesting thing about the Eastern Conference is that while James was in Cleveland all the other Teams made adjustments for that reason. now, after what just happened in the Finals they'll need to wait for the off-season signings to know what needs to be done. I believe that their challenge will be Milwaukee and again Toronto if they re-sign Leonard.

back to the Lakers, I have to wonder if they would have made the trade if both Kevin Durant and Klay Thompson had come through the Finals without the injuries?? the Team management has to understand that Lebron James is on his way out and they may only have next year to have a shot. in that regard it isn't a bad strategy. I will say this: the NBA may be the easiest sport to rebuild a Team. if one "star" is retained it is easy enough to trade for a second and the Lottery is always there to provide a third. that's probably why NO was so willing to let Davis go, they know they have Williamson who should be able to play at a high level immediately.

right now it's hard to tell who will be the front runners next year, too much dust in the air. B)

• Options

@keets LA's window definitely moved ahead of Boston's but I'm totally fine with that. I've wanted this team to go with a full youth movement and give their young core a few seasons to gel together while using their hoard of picks on hand,that would have never happened with Kyrie & AD.
    I think the Raptors,Bucks & Sixers are still ahead of Boston in the East but I will say each team has some major free agent decisions to make over the next few weeks though. Toronto has Kawhi & Gasol, Milwaukee had Middleton,Brogdon & Lopez and Philly has Butler,Harris & Reddick. The Raptors bringing everyone back makes the most sense imo.

• Options
    JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭✭

As a Sixer fan, I thought Boston was a much better team without Irving. His insertion into the lineup disrupted the balance and defense they had the year before. Their defense was nowhere near the level as 2018; the series against the Bucks the rim protection was non existent...layup after layup allowed. I still think they have a better roster than the Bucks. Have to see what happens in FA, especially in Philly.
    Lakers have to fill out that roster, so have to wait to make a call there, but making them the favorite to win it all is just crazy.

• Options
    edited June 16, 2019 6:49AM

From Boston's own home source: MassLive

"_On Saturday, the Los Angeles Lakers traded a massive haul for Anthony Davis, officially putting to death the Boston Celtics’ dreams of pairing Kyrie Irving and Davis, and likely putting an end unofficially to Irving’s time in Boston.

That’s ... pretty bad. The Celtics had been building toward a specific goal for years, and one disastrous season ripped away their suddenly promising chances of accomplishing it._"

RIP Celtics

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2019/06/boston-celtics-draft-2019-after-anthony-davis-trade-here-are-the-different-paths-celtics-could-take.html

• Options

Your team just traded SIX first round picks for a guy who has never played a full season in 7 years and has made it out of the first round once yet it's RIP Celtics?
    Weren't ou the same guy bragging about the Rams beating the Pats and the Dodgers beating the Sox? Stick to coins because your Sports takes have proven to be worthless lol.

• Options

Love your sour grapes reaction. You and DIMONE are so childish. So easy to bury you two.

Lakers are getting everything the loser Celtics were praying for:

Report: Kyrie Irving still wants to play with Anthony Davis

There are already rumblings about which star will join Davis and LeBron James in Los Angeles. Kemba Walker is one of them, but another is Kyrie Irving, who, according to a report by David Aldridge of The Athletic, has wanted to play with Davis for quite some time:

https://clutchpoints.com/lakers-rumors-kyrie-irving-has-long-wanted-play-with-anthony-davis/

LMAO

• Options

@hammer1 said:
    Love your sour grapes reaction. You and DIMONE are so childish. So easy to bury you two.

There are already rumblings about which star will join Davis and LeBron James in Los Angeles. Kemba Walker is one of them, but another is Kyrie Irving, who, according to a report by David Aldridge of The Athletic, has wanted to play with Davis for quite some time:

https://clutchpoints.com/lakers-rumors-kyrie-irving-has-long-wanted-play-with-anthony-davis/

LMAO

If you could just see how pathetic you are! ;)

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@hammer1 said:

LMAO

DIMONE the only pathetic thing here is you. Ask around. I dare you.

Most Everyone views you as dim witted child. Who's only contribution is being the biggest TROLL on CU.

• Options

@hammer1 said:

LMAO

You keep posting random website links like they actually mean something. Let Kyrie go to LA then LA fans have no excuses once that team doesn't win a championship.

• Options
    edited June 16, 2019 8:38AM

Websites from your hometown. While you post Facebook links. You are so desperate. I don't blame you. Celtics just got their ass handed to them.

Celtics lose

Lakers won.

/close thread

• Options

Did you even watch that facebook video? It was making fun of Lonzo Ball not your precious Lakers.
    I'm gonna go enjoy the day,we can continue this slapfest another time.

• Options

@hammer1 It's sometimes hard to interpret words and intent on the internet, so maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me that with your over the top braggadocios posts you are almost "doing a bit". I like back and forth with sports rivals more than most but the way you are coming off is sort of just rude.

Please excuse me if I am wrong.

• Options

@hammer1 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@hammer1 said:

LMAO

DIMONE the only pathetic thing here is you. Ask around. I dare you.

Most Everyone views you as dim witted child. Who's only contribution is being the biggest TROLL on CU.

LOL....you are the one who had better look around. You are pretty much the joke around here with all your bogus predictions! ;) Have a wonderful day in La La Land. B)

• Options
    edited June 16, 2019 10:01AM

Truth hurts, huh DIM-ONE (aka DIMEMAN). The undisputed laughing stock of the CU.

• Options

@hammer1 said:
    Truth hurts, huh DIM-ONE (aka DIMEMAN). The undisputed laughing stock of the CU.

@hammer1 Do you want to engage in enjoyable, real sports talk or just act foolish?

Your choice.

• Options

@hammer1 said:

It would only if it came from someone who had at least a half a brain! B)

• Options

Didn't see these trade details until this afternoon:
    The Pelicans will get the No. 4 pick in this week’s draft. They’ll get the Lakers’ first-rounder in 2021 if it’s in the top eight. If it isn’t, the Pelicans will get an unprotected first-rounder in 2022. The Pelicans will have the right to swap picks with the Lakers in 2023. The Pelicans will also get an unprotected first round pick in 2024, with a right to defer to 2025.
    and this:
    If the Pelicans and Lakers had waited until July 30 to complete the trade, the Lakers could’ve had $32.5 million in cap space — enough to pursue a max-contract-level free agent. By waiting until July 30, Los Angeles would’ve been acting like a team over the cap and thus would be allowed to use the fourth overall pick in Thursday’s draft as salary. If the trade is finalized on July 6, that number shrinks to $27.7 million — a number lowered to $23.7 million with Davis’ trade kicker.

Basically NO's controls LA's draft picks until the year 2025 and because this deal will be finalized for July 6th the Lakers will only have 23.7M to add another player. Kyrie & Kemba are both Supermax eligible and I don't see either player signing for 23.7M when they can both get 38M in a sign & trade.