Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Book / website Recommendation

comicsandcigarscomicsandcigars Posts: 9

New to Baseball Card collecting.
I'd like to know if there is a publication (or website) that highlights the top collectable cards from the different eras.
Maybe a beginners guide of some sort..Ive seen so far on Amazon "Standard Catalog of Vintage Baseball Cards" ..
any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 10, 2019 9:48PM

My best advice is collect what you like. Favorite team? Favorite player? Favorite year for some reason (like the year you were born or the first baseball game you went to, or whatever....)?

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with krisd3279. I just collect my favorite teams, and players. Trading card database has a good website of almost every athletes entire history of cards.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

@comicsandcigars said:
    New to Baseball Card collecting.
    I'd like to know if there is a publication (or website) that highlights the top collectable cards from the different eras.
    Maybe a beginners guide of some sort..Ive seen so far on Amazon "Standard Catalog of Vintage Baseball Cards" ..
    any suggestions?

Worth picking up if you’re getting into collecting vintage.

I’d also recommend The Top 200 SPORTSCARDS in the Hobby by Joe Orlando.

First will have everything and second has some of the top ‘key’ cards in collecting.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Should also mention:

While the Standard Catalog is a great resource for information, the prices tend to lag a bit. I have one and use it quite a bit. Amazon has them pretty cheap used or new.

Since you’re new, both Vintage Card Prices and PSA Auction Prices Revealed can be useful for determining the current market value of graded items.

Educate yourself about the marketplace before you spend your money. If you don’t want to make rookie mistakes, don’t act like a rookie - read these boards, and some other solid hobby publishings as well, before you start spending. Read a lot. Then read more. Use the search. Finally, if you can’t find it, ask. Most people here are great.

Lastly, graded cards will (typically) be at a premium to raw cards, even more so as you get to higher grades and more modern times. If you’re here, I’m guessing you’re interested in graded cards, too.

My only ‘advice’ is to collect what you like at prices you can afford and you’ll always be happy with and proud of your collection.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭

I know that, for the most part, the bottom pretty much dropped out long ago in the hobby of sports card collecting - - similar to stamp collecting.

However, my sons have a lot of raw baseball, football, and hockey cards passed down from their grandfather & bought at various flea markets for next to nothing, sitting uncatalogued in boxes in their closets.

I doubt there's any cards of value, but my one son was in the other day, saw them again & thought it might be interesting to go thru them & see if there's ANYTHING of any kind of value among them (as a prelude to maybe finally trashing the rest?).

Is there an on-line catalog/guide to cards from those sports which he could refer to in order to weed out the chaff?

Any help/recommendations would be appreciated!

Also, when first organizing everything to go thru, should he first organize them by sport & then season, or just by player name, regardless of sport? How are most catalogs/databases structured for easiest searching?

Thanks!

-- Dave