Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anyone receive a coin where the slab arrives shattered to pieces?

2»

Comments

• Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

The first PCGS coin I even shipped in 1997 arrived with the slab shattered in pieces. I had packaged it in a bubble mailer with copious amounts of cardboard & tape around the coin. The packaging wasn't the problem. The bubble mailer had a muddy tire track across it. At some point, a USPS worker dropped it on the ground and a car/truck ran it over. Check your envelope for signs it was underneath a tire at some point.

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 10, 2019 1:37PM

I've gotten $5000+ coins from major action houses in that corrugated cardboard, self stick stuff & a bubble envelope.
    I always just shake my head in disbelief.

Pineapple slices are better protected.

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Netflix mails DVDs in thin paper sleeves- not much protection there, yet it appears to work for them. There's an expense to packaging stuff for shipping and the more packaging used, the more time and money it costs. At some point, it makes more financial sense to stop trying to pack more securely and just deal with the rare damaged shipment when it happens.

• Options
    DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭

@MasonG said:
    Netflix mails DVDs in thin paper sleeves- not much protection there, yet it appears to work for them. There's an expense to packaging stuff for shipping and the more packaging used, the more time and money it costs. At some point, it makes more financial sense to stop trying to pack more securely and just deal with the rare damaged shipment when it happens.

Yes, that is correct there is a point where shipping cost and times are not worth it. However, the replacement cost on a DVD is like 25 cents, so minimal packaging does make sense there.

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

It happened again!! I just received a 1949 Canada $1 ICCS MS-66 that again was run over by some sort of postal vehicle. The weight of the vehicle against the rim cut through the ICCS plastic holder like a cookie cutter.

I'm just gonna return the coin and not bother with recertification. I got screwed by PCGS and JA's lack of firm grading standards the last time this happened on a regrade.

3 rim nicks away from Good

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file