Home U.S. Coin Forum

What caused this odd marking on a Buff?

jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,907 ✭✭✭✭✭

I assume this is post mint damage, if actually there and not a lighting feature. It appears to be coming out from under the feather to my eyes.I have never seen this effect or damage before and wonder what caused it? I have no interest in this coin, but I look through most ebay listings and the BST for Buffs for interesting or wanted Buffs..
Thanks
Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

Comments

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,432 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jesbroken said:
    I assume this is post mint damage, if actually there and not a lighting feature. It appears to be coming out from under the feather to my eyes.I have never seen this effect or damage before and wonder what caused it? I have no interest in this coin, but I look through most ebay listings and the BST for Buffs for interesting or wanted Buffs..
    Thanks
    Jim

That actually looks like one of my photos. If it is, it's probably dust.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Exactly what anomaly are you referring to?? Please be more specific or highlight the area in the photograph. Cheers, RickO

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 8, 2019 6:04AM

@ ricko Exactly what anomaly are you referring to?? Please be more specific or highlight the area in the photograph.

Sorry ricko, I didn't post the enlargement. My bad. I know there is a lot of deteriorization to the obverse of this coin but this just caught my eye as not part of the corrosion(?) spots.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 8, 2019 6:23AM

That's a different coin! I see nothing unusual about the first coin.

The OP seems to be asking about the short feather under the long one.

@Insider2 That's a different coin! I see nothing unusual about the first coin.

Wow! Thanks Insider2 I didn't realize that their were 2 different Buffaloes with similar
    markings under the feather. Both of these were on Ebay(One has ended). I mixed them up
    when presenting one here. The lighter colored one on the left is a 1918 P Buff and the right golden one is a
    1918 D Buff. Both were offered by the same seller. The 1918 P was sold last night. Still an odd marking that I hav never noticed before. Maybe some chemical residue from cleaning?
    Jim

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,287 ✭✭✭✭✭

No wonder the first pics made no sense to me. :D

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like machine doubling to me.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bison Barnacles.

• 1Bufffan1Bufffan Posts: 638 ✭✭✭

It could have been a die clash at some point where the bison's hair detail kind of like a chin clash with EPU showing under the chin only this is the back of the neck of the bison showing on the small feather?

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see what he is asking about. There is a thin, discolored residue on a strike doubled portion of the feather.

Seeing as both coins were from the same seller, I will assume this is residue from some chemical wash.
    Jim

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,474 ✭✭✭✭✭

It doesn't appear that the coin was clashed, however if it was, check out the overlay and you'll see the area where the hump and head meet on Black Diamond goes through the small feather.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file