Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Thank you

1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seventy five years ago, the world was saved. And it was saved by boys as young as 18 who received orders to board a ship and head to the northern coast of France. Due to a combination bad timing, bad luck and bad weather, this amphibious deployment had the task of opening up an avenue by which Allied troops could enter mainland Europe and unfortunately did not receive the cover it was supposed to and the gunners nests occupied by Nazi forces above the beach were all too ready for the boys. High ground is important in war; always has been. With the nests intact, this difficult mission became an impossible one. Casualties were guaranteed and in great number. These amazing, brave young men, at some point, had to realize they were facing certain death.

And yet, they soldiered on anyway.

And ultimately, they saved the world.

Many of the men who stormed those beaches are ‘19 forever’ at Normandy Beach now, and even those who made it out alive are now dwindling greatly in number. Time marches on, as they say, and waits for no man.

Today? Let’s wait. Let’s say thanks to those men and women who are assigned and complete these impossible tasks, who protect our freedoms and ensure our way of life.

Whether it was on a French Beach, a Korean Peninsula, a Vietnam jungle or a Middle Eastern desert, these men and women are what is right and good about our Nation.

My sincere thanks to all the Veterans on the CU forums.

May God Bless each and every one of you

Thank you, today especially, but everyday...

Tim

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

Comments

• nam812nam812 Posts: 10,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

What can you add to that except ditto.

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

@nam812 said:
    What can you add to that except ditto.

+1

Mike
  • maplemanmapleman Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

+2 I have visited US Military Cemetary in Normandy as well as the various beaches. The scope of the invasion is mind boggling and the Cemetary is Hallowed ground. GBA and let us never forget.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 5, 2019 8:06AM

Thank you so much to those Brave Men who stared Nazi tyranny directly in the eye and didn't back down an inch. We owe you our lives. You will NEVER be forgotten. You are truly our heroes. If it wasn't for your Bravery, this forum would not exist today. It is because of you, we are able to collect and gather here to share our experiences in this hobby. We literally owe you bigtime. This world owes you bigtime. Thank you 1951WheatiesPremium for giving these brave men the recognition they deserve. Words cannot describe what these men faced that day on the beaches of Normandy, and throughout the world during WW2. Also thank you to the brave men who faced the Japanese in horrific battles in the Pacific- Okinawa, Iwo Jima, Peleliu, Saipan, Guadalcanal,Tarawa, Leyte, among many others. Thank you to the men and women who have served this great country in every conflict against tyranny and evil.

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mapleman said:
    +2 I have visited US Military Cemetary in Normandy as well as the various beaches. The scope of the invasion is mind boggling and the Cemetary is Hallowed ground. GBA and let us never forget.

I once did a two week tour of Europe with some friends. Visited a number of WW2 sites, mostly in Germany. We just didn't have the time to include Normandy. However we did visit Patton's grave in Luxembourg.

I have also visited Arlington.

I echo the great comments already made, and am so very grateful to all of our veterans.

THANK YOU!

• lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

My Uncle served in WW2 and my dad in the Korean War.
    Excellent post Tim. It's a shame more people have not replied.

• NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 720 ✭✭✭✭

Tremendous post, I wholeheartedly agree with everything you said OP. They did, in fact, save the world. These great young men, and all who have followed in their footsteps to serve, will always have my eternal respect and deepest gratitude. It is a priveledge to fly that flag on my front lawn.

John

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lawnmowerman said:

I’m chocking it up in part to other interesting threads and that fact that we’ve just entered the prime log on time frame here in the eastern US...

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lawnmowerman said:

That's true Matt. Not sure.

As you know, I'm one of the vets here - 31 yrs. - Vietnam and Desert Storm. Was drafted out of high school. It was a privilege to serve in the US Army and wouldn't anything different if afforded the chance.

Mike
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

@Stone193 said:

@lawnmowerman said:

That's true Matt. Not sure.

As you know, I'm one of the vets here - 31 yrs. - Vietnam and Desert Storm. Was drafted out of high school. It was a privilege to serve in the US Army and wouldn't anything different if afforded the chance.

I appreciate you and your service Mike.
    My Uncle was in the Army. I remember as a little child being fascinated and scared at the ww2 stories he told me. He saw lots of action. My dad was in the Navy and did not see as much action during the Korean war. Definitely nothing like our sailors experienced during ww2.