Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

You know you're a hard core card collector when...

lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

You see the top of a door frame and automatically think...."ooh, arrowhead corner notches"

Comments

• Options

Feel free to add to the thread. We had a thread like this years ago but it has too much deleted content to be entertaining now

• Options
    RyansRustRyansRust Posts: 179 ✭✭✭

I remember that old thread, unless there was another after. Was tons of fun.

• Options

@RyansRust said:
    I remember that old thread, unless there was another after. Was tons of fun.

Yup. I did a quick search and was surprised to see it was from 2004. Lots of banned users and deleted content.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

When your wife is holding a hammer in one hand and a Larry Bird card in the other hand, when you get home from work.

• Options
    edited June 3, 2019 5:29PM

@doubledragon said:
    When your wife is holding a hammer in one hand and a Larry Bird card in the other hand, when you get home from work.

Haha....doubledragon's hand after attempting to reach for the card

Faster must you be. Much to learn you have

• Options

I think the hammer would be used on a place a little bit lower on the body...

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I'm at work handling the usual 8 1/2 x 11 office copies, and sometimes when I either ding a corner on the paper or see a dinged corner on the paper, i think of cards.

It's sick, i admit it. 🤒

• Options
    edited June 3, 2019 4:50PM

When you can't find the baby's pacifier and just grab the closest card instead

• Options

When the wife sees you gave the baby a card instead of a pacifier and proceeds to take it from her

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

When your new jumbo slabs are too big for your scanner at home and you work at a company where somebody is working there 24 hours per day.... yet you’ve spent the last 48 hours plotting a way/time that you can turn off all the lights in the building and take perfect lid-open scans on the office copier/scanner.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    Desert_Ice_SportsDesert_Ice_Sports Posts: 285 ✭✭✭
    edited June 3, 2019 5:19PM

When you see an apple with a bad spot and think "If PSA graded apples, it would only get a 3."

DesertIceSports.Com

• Options
    edited June 3, 2019 5:27PM

@DBesse27 said:
    When your new jumbo slabs are too big for your scanner at home and you work at a company where somebody is working there 24 hours per day.... yet you’ve spent the last 48 hours plotting a way/time that you can turn off all the lights in the building and take perfect lid-open scans on the office copier/scanner.

Attain some sleeping pills and proceed to crush them into a fine powder. Add said powder to coffee pot. Return a few hours later, step over the passed out employee and scan your cards. Do not drink from the coffee pot. Haul butt to the nearest exit. You can always hit Starbucks on your way home🤣

• Options

When your card collection owns way more closet square footage than your wife's shoes

• Options

@lawnmowerman said:

@DBesse27 said:

Attain some sleeping pills and proceed to crush them into a fine powder. Add said powder to coffee pot. Return a few hours later, step over the passed out employee and scan your cards. Do not drink from the coffee pot. Haul butt to the nearest exit. You can always hit Starbucks on your way home🤣

Security cameras and individualized electronic key cards. Doubt I would go undetected, but still might be worth it for the beautiful scans.....

Yaz Master Set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options

@lawnmowerman said:
    When your card collection owns way more closet square footage than your wife's shoes

Matt, we’ve been friends for years, but I’ve never been more disappointed in you than I am right now! I know you have a kick ass collection and some of those beautiful and valuable cards deserve better than a highly flammable, highly absorbent cardboard box! As some clowns on some sports show would say....

C’MON, MAN!!!

Yaz Master Set

• Options

@DBesse27 said:

@lawnmowerman said:

Matt, we’ve been friends for years, but I’ve never been more disappointed in you than I am right now! I know you have a kick ass collection and some of those beautiful and valuable cards deserve better than a highly flammable, highly absorbent cardboard box! As some clowns on some sports show would say....

C’MON, MAN!!!

Lol...I agree. I'd love to get a giant, fire proof safe but I have no space available

• Options

...your neighbor drops a 1991 Beckett Monthly on your front doorstep as a gift in 2019 because cards are worth money now.

• Options

Many years ago, I had this same expression on my face when i opened up the mail from my first submission to PSA, expecting 8's and 9's...but receiving nothing but 5's, 6's, and 7's. :/

• Options
    Desert_Ice_SportsDesert_Ice_Sports Posts: 285 ✭✭✭

Many years ago, I had this same expression on my face when i opened up the mail from my first submission to PSA, expecting 8's and 9's...but receiving nothing but 5's, 6's, and 7's. :/

Are you sure that wasn't this look??

DesertIceSports.Com

• Options
    krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

@lawnmowerman It seems redundant to actually write Emmitt Smith on the boxes....

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

• Options

@krisd3279 said:
    @lawnmowerman It seems redundant to actually write Emmitt Smith on the boxes....

Haha...I had to because my Graded Aikman and Irvin collections are stored in similar boxes.

• Options

@Desert_Ice_Sports said:

Are you sure that wasn't this look??

Around ten seconds later. :'(

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lawnmowerman said:

You need a higher quality pacifier...

• Options

@PaulMaul said:

You need a higher quality pacifier...

Point taken 🤣

• Options

@krisd3279 said:
    you have to find new ways to get rid of cards nobody wants....

Noooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

• Options

Kingman. Worthless!!

Yaz Master Set

• Options
    sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 444 ✭✭✭✭

You go to Target for coffee and chocolate and can't help yourself from wandering to the "new junk" booster packs knowing full well you won't pull anything worthwhile. You drop an extra $20 on the junk, rush home to rip your pack and get nothing...…… you obsess that you could have spent that $20 on almost 3 more cards for a bulk submission. Meanwhile, you left the wife's chocolate in the car and it melted.

• Options
    RyansRustRyansRust Posts: 179 ✭✭✭

You know you're a hardcore collector when....

You turn the card over and read the back. Card Backs Matter.

You draw hearts on your boxes of cards.

When your dreams of going back in time include cards as one of your priorities.

Under the current climate, you're even afraid to mention on social media you trim your nails.

As a grown man you can pull off the duck face selfie holding a card and post it online.

You don't need anymore Hanes. You gifted everyone you know Hanes. You now have a online store selling Hanes. But hey!, you got those Jordan packs.

You wear a MAGA hat, thinking it means "Make All Grades Accurate".

You drive to four Targets looking for those exclusive Mega boxes. You do this twice a week fighting in traffic every time. After spending 3 hours of time and appx. $40 in gas you find two boxes and consider it a victory.

You have sleeves and top loaders in your glove box. You never know.

You agree to go shopping with the wife as she says shes going to get wax. You quickly learn you were duped.

• Options

@RyansRust said:
    You draw hearts on your boxes of cards.

Hey

• Options

@RyansRust said:

You have sleeves and top loaders in your glove box. You never know.

Ok. So maybe it's worse than I thought.....

Kris

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

Someone hands you his business card and you mentally grade the corners.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    JakeR2234JakeR2234 Posts: 236 ✭✭✭

You get your favorite teams cards out and put them in a shrine on the coffee table during games for good luck!

PC Walter Payton - Bear Down!

• Options
    waxman2745waxman2745 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

@2dueces said:
    Someone hands you his business card and you mentally grade the corners.

This. My business cards are (OC).

Adam
    buying O-Pee-Chee (OPC) baseball
  • Options

When you use junk wax commons as napkins at the dinner table.

• Options
    54topps54topps Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭

When I see a Washington State patrol car and think "Meh, its just a PSA 6"

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    When you use junk wax commons as napkins at the dinner table.

Only POS Kingman napkins at my house!

Yaz Master Set

• Options
    edited June 4, 2019 1:44PM

When you sit by the window, day after day watching for the mailman, waiting on a card to be delivered from Canada

• Options

When you finally had enough, waiting on that card to be delivered from Canada and you head to the streets looking for the mailman. He's got to be down one of these blocks....

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 4, 2019 5:21PM

You're a complete set collector and insist on having all of them in proper binder/pages...even the really cheap ones. Sometimes the binder/pages cost more than the set itself, but it doesn't matter...you spend your hard earned money on cards, you make sure they're in proper albums so you can enjoy them without wrecking them.

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options

When your obsessive spending turns your wife into this.

• Options

That’s about all cats are good for.

Yaz Master Set

• Options

@Estil said:
    You're a complete set collector and insist on having all of them in proper binder/pages...even the really cheap ones. Sometimes the binder/pages cost more than the set itself, but it doesn't matter...you spend your hard earned money on cards, you make sure they're in proper albums so you can enjoy them without wrecking them.

<--- See my profile pic.....

Kris

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    When your obsessive spending turns your wife into this.

Hee hee actually I'M the "crazy cat lady" of this group! :) Sadly I'm only allowed one kitty at a time (apartment complex rules) :(

But she shouldn't be throwing kitties...you might hurt the poor things! :(

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options

@DBesse27 said:
    Kingman. Worthless!!

Mr. Dave Kingman= The greatest that ever did it.😉

• Options
    VoteDizzyVoteDizzy Posts: 124 ✭✭✭

@lawnmowerman said:

Is that a Dave Wyman?

Hockey - Hrdina - Thunderbirds
    Wrestling - Danielson - Storm - Tajiri
  • Options

@DBesse27 said:
    That’s about all cats are good for.

Actually they're good for some free entertainment. It's fun sitting on my back porch watching my dog chase the ones that are dumb enough to hop over my fence.

• Options
    edited June 4, 2019 7:30PM

@VoteDizzy said:

@lawnmowerman said:

Is that a Dave Wyman?

I'm not sure it was a long time ago. you're probably right though

• Options

When you have to take on an extra job to pay for your hobby.